Box set and binge viewing megathread.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Excellent ending to series 2, and I've realised I've already got half the soundtrack on my Spotify playlist - ages before I started to watch it.

As good as the soundtrack is, part of me would have preferred a period one.

Pretty much the same good modern day soundtrack throughout the 4 seasons. There is a teeny bit of period music in 3or4, can't remember which. There is a scratchy version of Bye Bye Blackbird in a scene, I believe they call the episode Blackbird. No spoiler necessary as I have given nothing away from the plot by mentioning it.

Btw who sings that "red right hand" ditty at the end of each episode? It kind of grew on me, but the credits go so fast there is no chance of my dodgy eyes catching it.

Edited by Ontarian1981

29 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Pretty much the same good modern day soundtrack throughout the 4 seasons. There is a teeny bit of period music in 3or4, can't remember which. There is a scratchy version of Bye Bye Blackbird in a scene, I believe they call the episode Blackbird. No spoiler necessary as I have given nothing away from the plot by mentioning it.

Btw who sings that "red right hand" ditty at the end of each episode? It kind of grew on me, but the credits go so fast there is no chance of my dodgy eyes catching it.

Red Right Hand is by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, some of his other music is used as well, his former partner PJ Harvey's music also features heavily in S2.

1 minute ago, Brooker11 said:

Red Right Hand is by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, some of his other music is used as well, his former partner PJ Harvey's music also features heavily in S2.

I did notice pj harvey in there. But of artics in there, bit of The white stripes in season one.

Red right hand has been used for all sorts, Jack Irish is the first one I think of. X files as well maybe?

Top Boy, 2019  available on Netflix.

Cracking show, grim picture of Hackney, London community and drug scene.

Heavily influenced with "The Wire"

Edited by Guest

Temple  7/10

If you can get past the fact that its really quite far fetched this is pretty enjoyable.
Its well acted with some great locations.

Unbelievable   9/10

This is a great series based on a true story.
Its well written and really well acted.
Made me feel quite uncomfortable and emotional at times. Well worth a watch.

On 15/09/2019 at 11:44, nikki-red said:

Temple  7/10

If you can get past the fact that its really quite far fetched this is pretty enjoyable.
Its well acted with some great locations.

Unbelievable   9/10

This is a great series based on a true story.
Its well written and really well acted.
Made me feel quite uncomfortable and emotional at times. Well worth a watch.

I found Unbelievable very good too except it was about 2 or 3 episodes longer than it needed to be.However that is the norm on these stories that are broke down into multi episodes.This was my first series watched since we went back to Netflix, and I wasn't disappointed

Edited by Ontarian1981
add a line

Ive just finished Marianne on Netflix.

Really enjoyed it on the whole, I did lose interest slightly during a couple of the middle episodes, but it got going again with a vengeance!
Its really quite creepy, with just enough gore and jump scares.

One thing I would say is watch it subtitled. The dubbings not great and takes away from the atmosphere and acting performances at times.

The Handmaid's Tale. Series 3. Again, not a laugh riot but the story moves along nicely. Elizabeth Moss brings another incredible performance (no Emmy nomination though????) which, combined with really nice cinematography, makes a miserable subject matter really watchable. The rest of the cast have been great as well. 9/10

Godless, quite good if you like westerns. Enjoyed it all 7.5/10

Der Passe - dragged on a little too much for me 7/10

Chernobyl 10/10.

The Handmaids Tale waiting watch S3  9/10.

Mad Men waiting to watch S7. 8/10

Orange Is The New Black 8/10

Watched the first episode of The Night Of last night, I think I may be in for a treat!

Mindhunter S1 10/10, S2 9/10.  I can't wait for s3.

On 15/09/2019 at 16:32, croat77 said:

Top Boy, 2019  available on Netflix.

Cracking show, grim picture of Hackney, London community and drug scene.

Heavily influenced with "The Wire"

Just started to watch this- realised need subtitles even though the cast speak 'English'

It is grim seeing how the drug scene runs.

Orphan Black. Caught the first 3 series on BBC3 but missed the final two series when it went to Netflix, but now I've caught up. 

Star of the show is obviously Tatiana Malany whose performances were both nuanced and wonderfully consistent throughout, rather than the same actress with a series of different wigs. The supporting cast were overshadowed but its hard not be. Cap tip as well to the effects team, you really can't see the join which only enhances Malany's excellent work. Nice ending too. 9/10