Box set and binge viewing megathread.

Has anyone chanced upon American Vandal on Netflix?

I watched the first by accident and ended up (despite mesen) really enjoying it, enjoyed how it was made and laughed far more than I should.

Not sure if anyone else has recommended this, but Deadwood is amazing.

About ten years old, it's a series about cowboy-types living in a town that hasn't yet become a part of America. God digging, swearing, honour, politics, gun firing and the actor who played Lovejoy as a powerful, Machiavellian saloon owner called Al Swearengen. Pretty intelligently done with great storylines and memorable characters.

Yes, I've just started watching this, I quite like it. The OH & I have also started watching Nashville, which is quite good too ☺

American Gods. Really rather weird but another visual treat from Bryan fuller, and is very similar visually and musically to the excellent Hannibal series. The only problem is that the story sort of meanders to a halt - not really a cliff hanger more like a mid series break that lasts two years - or will do - between series. Still worth a watch though.

Not up-to-date on this thread, will look through for some winter viewing but we just watched Sharp Objects, its TV version of the book by Gillian Flynn who is better known for Gone Girl. Really good, very atmospheric. Misses a few things from the book but I thought it was excellent.

It's never ending! New Doctor Who tonight, season 9 of the Walking Dead starts on Monday & the 3rd season of the Man in the High Castle has started. When are we supposed to watch all this telly? There's the 3 already mentioned, then there's Emmerdale, we're working our way through Nashville & Deadwood. Plus Bake Off & The Apprentice. Oh, and we've got to go to work too!

Ive just watched The Haunting of Hill House over 2 days.

Absolutely brilliant. Well written, well acted, its creepy, sad, and made me genuinely care about the characters.

Its just this minute gone off and I feel like Ive been on an emotional rollercoaster.

Fantastic.

I’ve now got Netflix!

Stranger Things (both series) excellent, first rate from the credits onwards. Young actors were brilliant and there was some good cameos from actorsfrom some classic 80s films (although Brett gelman steals a couple of scenes and I’ve never heard of him). Loved it.

The Sinner. Two unrelated series, the first one was particularly heavy going and not easy to watch in places but well worth pursuing. Bill Pullman but in a good shift over both series and Jessica Beil in series one was surprisingly good. If I’m being hyper critical I think they could have trimmed it back to 6 episodes rather than 8. If you liked true detective, you’ll like this. 

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I’ve now got Netflix!

Then if you're at all interested in the Marvel series that they've done I suggest watching them sooner rather than later as one day Disney will force them to remove them.

I'm currently working my way through the Polish alternative-history mystery/thriller '1983', set in a fictional Poland in which the Iron Curtain never fell and terrorist attacks in 1983 snuffed out any democracy movement as the country rallied around a quasi-religious nationalist party that have subsequently ruled the country for the last several decades. Very good so far.

Luther - series 5.

****WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS****

Started out quite nicely, with an excellent serial killer plot. But the gangland sideshow started to spoil it and the the return of Ruth Wilson’s character was welcome it just muddied the plot further. But bringing in Paul McGanns character, and expecting the viewer to know who he was and what he did 7 years ago is asking a bit too much. I vaguely remembered him but that was it and I didn’t box set the whole thing prior to watching the latest series - the writers might want to bear that last bit in mind. The ending didn’t sit right with me and placed a thwacking great signpost on how series 6 will go, should it go at all, and if I can remember it 2 or 3 years down the line. Idris was good, he always seems to put a shift in with Luther, Ruth Wilson sparkles as Alice but the writing was a bit too knowing and - for want of a better word - smug. Nice to see it back but it could have been better.

@tinfoilhat As far as Im aware there isnt going to be a season 6, this was the last one. They are (still!) talking about making a film tho.

I really enjoyed season 5 but they did seem to over complicate the plot unnecessarily.

Edited by nikki-red

Escape at Dannemora.  Absolutely brilliant prison break drama in seven episodes.

Just finished Travelers a sci-fi TV series on Netflix and thought it was very good. Its about a bunch of people in a distopian future who have their consciousness sent back in time to people in the present with the task of stopping a future disaster. Good acting, good ideas, good plot, good ending and not the usual time travel nonsense.  Not sure that any season 4 will happen given the ending.