Michael Redgrave the actor lived in Sheffield?

I'm just reading Michael Redgrave's biography and came across the fact that as a young child, the future actor lived in Sheffield. But does anyone know where?

The book says that his mum Daisy took him to live with her 'sister' May, now married and living in Sheffield. This seems to be for about a year until he was 15 months old. He spent further periods of time with his Aunt May during his childhood years.

I don't have much information but does anybody else know whereabouts in Sheffield.

I'm interested in the research because of two films that he subsequently appeared in which are featured on my website http://www.chartersandcaldicott.co.uk

I'm just reading Michael Redgrave's biography and came across the fact that as a young child, the future actor lived in Sheffield. But does anyone know where?

The book says that his mum Daisy took him to live with her 'sister' May, now married and living in Sheffield. This seems to be for about a year until he was 15 months old. He spent further periods of time with his Aunt May during his childhood years.

I don't have much information but does anybody else know whereabouts in Sheffield.

I'm interested in the research because of two films that he subsequently appeared in which are featured on my website http://www.chartersandcaldicott.co.uk

He was born in Bristol but you mention somebodys Sister, did you mean his sister or his Mothers...

His only living Sister is Vanessa who does not live in Sheffield, his Mothers sister would be very long gone...I'm confused..

The nearest link to him living in Sheffield is that his Aunt Dolly Elsworthy may have lived in Sheffield and she was the Sister of Roy Elsworthy who was Michael Redgraves Father.

Edited by Cycleracer

It does actually match up . His mother's sister was Alice May Scudamore who married William Frederick Knowler . 1911C They are listed as living Newmarch Street Tinsley Sheffield. William was a projectile inspector working for the Admiralty

1911C Michael Redgrave is listed as a visitor in Bury looks to be under the care of a Margaret Scott , Actress

Edited by lobster
more info

He was born in Bristol but you mention somebodys Sister, did you mean his sister or his Mothers...

His only living Sister is Vanessa who does not live in Sheffield, his Mothers sister would be very long gone...I'm confused..

The nearest link to him living in Sheffield is that his Aunt Dolly Elsworthy may have lived in Sheffield and she was the Sister of Roy Elsworthy who was Michael Redgraves Father.

I think that I said that it's his mother's sister, ie his Auntie

---------- Post added 29-04-2016 at 18:44 ----------

Thanks for the replies so far, all very interesting.