Hyde Park Flats Question?

Been reading a book about Park Hill and Hyde Park doesn't paint either estate as good . But given today's demand for housing they would have gone a long way in finding people homes for all their faults. Though getting used to living with ants and flying rubbish could be a challenge.

My family moved on to Derwent Row when I was 6 in 1964. We had a 3 bedroom flat. There was presumably no gas because the heating was from the incinerator at Bernard Road I think so no need for gas central heating. Tv was connected to British Relay so we used to get local programming. I also remember the electric milk floats that used to access the veranda's via the service lifts.

I lived on Hyde Park flats first on Cricket Inn Gardens then onto Derwent row and Dacre Row when I got married. We had gas cookers in all. I first moved there in 1963 aged 13.alan p.

I was brought up on Hyde park flats ( Lord row ) and we lived in a 3 bedroom flat and they were very good apart from the pharaoh ants iirc , we moved out in 76 . I went to St. John's school as well as the church where my mum and dad got married , I found a wedding photo of them on their wedding day with the cars being Uncle Stans from Simpsons and Sons . My grandparents lived on Ropery Row until the mid 80s , again that was 2 bedroom

I worked under the flats in early 1966 when I was a BT trainee. The thing I remember was the fairly strong smell of poo. The blokes I was working were not too happy about it & thought they should get an allowance for working there.

I bet when Hyde Park was lit up at night it was an impressive sight. The sheer scale of the flats is amazing

Yeah, we called it "The Great Wall Of China".

the flats inside were the same has parkhill,the bedsits tendered to be flats with doors on the stairs,there were defenetley 3 bedrooms ,not sure about 4 beds ,the flats on the top landings were differant all on one levell and bedroom windows were on the landings,

Park hill had some four bedroomed properties,

Hyde park had a few four-bedroomed on the very top row(s) ST Johns Gardens, (and Bernard Gardens, and Cricket inn Gardens.

The interiors of all three flat developments of that style (Park Hill Hyde Park and Kelvin) were identical in layout. the only difference was the very top floor of Hyde park which had a single storey. There were one-bed, two bed three bed and four bed flats on the top storey(s)

there were bedsit flats in the corners of all three flats (remember they all had the Zig-Zag landing layout) and you could work out which flats were which by looking at the living room windows. then on Hyde Park, (But not on Park hill or Kelvin) there were two internal staircases on the biggest block with bedsit-flats opening off the stairs, three per storey, except on the landing level where there were none.

There were two styles of flat whcih you went downstairs to on the main landigs, one was a two bedroomed flat with a separate living room and dining-kitchen. the other was a one- bedroomed flat which had a living-kitchen and a seperate bedroom.

The two-storey maisonettes had two or three bedrooms, the living room of the two-bedroomed maisonette was directly above the living room of the three bedroomed maisonette next door, and on both maisonettes, the kitchen and back bedroom (above the kitchen) were side by side (IE the two kitchen balconies were adjacent to each other, each pair separated by a living room).

Hi All, Pictures of Hyde Park Flats.

No1 Pic. You can just see the Park Club on the right, its now shut awaiting

too be knocked down.

No2 Pic is off Manor Oaks Rd.

Cricket Inn Rd- Hyde Park Flats further on too the left.

No3 Pic,

Edited by brian1941

About a couple of months ago I went up to the site of the now demolished Hyde Park flats main block , on a slope with a walkway in front I found two signs for a buried toilet block. In the same style of writing that still can be seen in the derelict section of Park Hill flats complex in red and made of metal were ' Gentleman' and ' Ladies' on a white tiled background. Also noted some remains of concrete railings above the site of the toilets and a few concrete ramps here and their.

About a couple of months ago I went up to the site of the now demolished Hyde Park flats main block , on a slope with a walkway in front I found two signs for a buried toilet block. In the same style of writing that still can be seen in the derelict section of Park Hill flats complex in red and made of metal were ' Gentleman' and ' Ladies' on a white tiled background. Also noted some remains of concrete railings above the site of the toilets and a few concrete ramps here and their.

------------------

Hi Crookedspire, Enclose picture of the old Earl Francis pub its

now a grocery shop couple years now. Was good looking round the

Hyde park flats and i liked the walk round Park Hill flats.

------------------

Hi Crookedspire, Enclose picture of the old Earl Francis pub its

now a grocery shop couple years now. Was good looking round the

Hyde park flats and i liked the walk round Park Hill flats.

It's so strange to see a remnant of the old Walk building still standing, tacked onto the end of the new Walk and hardly changed since the 70s. Though now I come to think about it, the 'new' Walk's not so very new now, is it? Just about 26 years since the start of the Walk and Terrace renovations! :o