Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

Hi I used to be in building trade for many years in thatchers years in government they started six month course  for lads I k now many what went on them thinking they were going to be a apprentice but no after six months they were told we don,t want you any more  then started another lad and on and on it went. A proper apprentice ship was from age 15 to 21years old  a bricklayer you do not learn it right in six months that is why houses are going up very slow  notjust bricklayers any trade  all proper 6 year trades men have just about gone  the governments do not learn   Ps my son was one of the lads on a course he was told he could  stop with the firm but would only get same money as on first one 29 pounds per week  rip off 

9 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi I used to be in building trade for many years in thatchers years in government they started six month course  for lads I k now many what went on them thinking they were going to be a apprentice but no after six months they were told we don,t want you any more  then started another lad and on and on it went. A proper apprentice ship was from age 15 to 21years old  a bricklayer you do not learn it right in six months that is why houses are going up very slow  notjust bricklayers any trade  all proper 6 year trades men have just about gone  the governments do not learn   Ps my son was one of the lads on a course he was told he could  stop with the firm but would only get same money as on first one 29 pounds per week  rip off 

You are right G , many did that , My firm had four lads , we made their money up to fifty quid , all four went on to be top trades men . Gary is a agent on big sites he is a joiner by trade , Lee is now one of the most sort after bricklayers in Sheffield he will whip  you a pair of semi's up on his own . When I see the lads around I am chuffed that we were responsible for their success .

The money they earn makes my eyes water .

Edited by cuttsie

George you always were a right bloke the lads you would teach I bet went on to Be good at their job . I used to pass 3 pairs of houses being built near where l live with big firm it just about took two years l thought bricklayers were putting them down then taking them back off what must scaffolding hire cost a fortune I bet no wonder people are crying out for houses 

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

George you always were a right bloke the lads you would teach I bet went on to Be good at their job . I used to pass 3 pairs of houses being built near where l live with big firm it just about took two years l thought bricklayers were putting them down then taking them back off what must scaffolding hire cost a fortune I bet no wonder people are crying out for houses 

They are the best G , they tell me I was a right twaaaat when I  was their gaffer, making sure that they got the job done , we had many fall outs , Now they thank me saying I was right to push them hard . This makes my day because they are now top dogs in the trade and I think it was due to how we were brought up to graft like twaaaatts even when young . It worked .

Tradesmen are yet another area of the British economy where quick profits have superceeded investment in the trades that support it. Why train up young lads when you can get cheap Labour from abroad to do the job.

While CEO's have been getting fat on the profits with enormous salaries and bonuses, the nuts and bolts of the company, ie the men and women who do the actual work, have been sadly neglected and treated as an expensive and unnecessary add on. 

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that we need these people; they are quite literally the one's who keep the economy running and are the essential workers we all depend on. Yet still we pay the pen pushing CEO's ridiculous amounts of money at the expense of skilled tradespeople who earn a comparative pittance .   

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Tradesmen are yet another area of the British economy where quick profits have superceeded investment in the trades that support it. Why train up young lads when you can get cheap Labour from abroad to do the job.

While CEO's have been getting fat on the profits with enormous salaries and bonuses, the nuts and bolts of the company, ie the men and women who do the actual work, have been sadly neglected and treated as an expensive and unnecessary add on. 

If the pandemic has taught us anything, it's that we need these people; they are quite literally the one's who keep the economy running and are the essential workers we all depend on. Yet still we pay the pen pushing CEO's ridiculous amounts of money at the expense of skilled tradespeople who earn a comparative pittance .   

In my experience most tradesman (particularly in the context of this thread) are self-employed or small businesses.   Let's not get this thread off topic into one of your default rants about the corporate machine and all those disgusting neoliberal elitist rich people.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

No more or less essential than millions of other workers. How do you think large businesses would function without a management structure and a good board of directors?

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

No more or less essential than millions of other workers. How do you think large businesses would function without a management structure and a good board of directors?

A bit like our Country .

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

oh you do talk utter clap trap, did you know most trades start off at the bottom and then usually go on to run their own business and sometimes they end up as CEOs of their own company?

whats wrong with someone doing well and being something for others who want to work and be successful to aspire to?

instead of whining on a public forum? you do know that most kids dont want to work its too easy to sit on the dole, we have had 3 young so called apprentices start in the last six months, the longest one lasted was a week!! its the same in the HGV industry.

so stop knocking the top of the pile that get the work in for the working man.

On 05/10/2021 at 10:54, Slinny said:

Why are so many buildings built in 60s and 70s knocked down now? Why were British cars so awful in the same period if all these British time served tradesmen were so awesome?

2 hours ago, ab6262 said:

you do know that most kids dont want to work its too easy to sit on the dole, we have had 3 young so called apprentices start in the last six months, the longest one lasted was a week!!

If you cannot keep an apprentice for a week it sounds like the problem may be with your company rather than the "kids".

1. Are you selecting the right people to be apprentices?

2. Do you treat them well enough when they first arrive?

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

If you cannot keep an apprentice for a week it sounds like the problem may be with your company rather than the "kids".

1. Are you selecting the right people to be apprentices?

2. Do you treat them well enough when they first arrive?

Ha Ha you are funny.

1. apprentices need to accept banter and tea making, they also get the dirty and hard jobs first lifting digging and tidying it sorts the wasters from the good lads that want to get on! everyone starts at the bottom i did!

as for selecting thats a different story, most turn up for interview as a tick box for the social.

we have even had an 18 yrs olds mum ringing up saying her son is getting all the rubbish jobs, well yes love first they have to learn the basics they cant suddenly lay bricks or install joists.

2. as for treating my lads well yes i do , most get bought breakfast or dinner 3 or 4 times a week, they get free uniform, some even get picked up that dont drive, they get good training and learn skills.