Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

Fair enough, but on the other hand any sensible customer will get two or three quotes and then go with the cheapest, or the person who makes the best impression, or some compromise between those two. Flip side of this is that on average a half or two thirds of the quotes you work out won't be accepted. It's just something you have to factor in to the time spent on your job.

In the long run you should establish good relations with a core of repeat customers who trust you and whom you trust in return. That's the best result for both customers and tradesmen.

Also remember that the cheapest quote isn't always the best. Lots of cowboys out there willing to do a cheap job only for you to find a leak after theve gone ! Also if it's a gas job they must be Gas Safety Registered.

Fair enough, but on the other hand any sensible customer will get two or three quotes and then go with the cheapest, or the person who makes the best impression, or some compromise between those two. Flip side of this is that on average a half or two thirds of the quotes you work out won't be accepted. It's just something you have to factor in to the time spent on your job.

In the long run you should establish good relations with a core of repeat customers who trust you and whom you trust in return. That's the best result for both customers and tradesmen.

Then you'll get the cheapest Job. Which is likely to be the worst...

Oh absolutely. Unless there's someone I've used before and whom I like (which there usually is these days), I always go by personal recommendations first, or failing that credible testimonials, or failing that the impression that the person makes on me personally. If they're also reasonably priced, that's a bonus.

But price is a factor, as in any other market.

On the other hand, the most expensive quote doesn't necessarily result in the best job either.

We are in agreement - personal recommendation is the best.

Also remember that the cheapest quote isn't always the best. Lots of cowboys out there willing to do a cheap job only for you to find a leak after theve gone ! Also if it's a gas job they must be Gas Safety Registered.

Lots of cowboys out there willing to do a poor quality expensive job, my solution is I do it all myself.

Lots of cowboys out there willing to do a poor quality expensive job, my solution is I do it all myself.

Agreed, but having been ripped off and messed around by plumbers in the past, my solution was to sign up to a good boiler and radiator service company. I chose Flamecare and have been very pleased with them. They have been prompt and efficient when I have called them out and the monthly service charge is worth it for peace of mind.

I have been on many a job to give an estimate only for the homeowner to tell me how to do it and much I should charge them. No thanks.

I have submitted detailed quotes to customers for work requested and not heard a "dicky bird" until.... They 'phone back and ask me to reattend to sort out a little problem or two. In essence putting right all sorts of dangerous, non compliant or just plain shoddy work carried out by others to whom they (the customers) have shown my quote to and the scheisters have done the job for a tenner cheaper. This is insulting and shows utter contempt. I don't answer my 'phone to anyone who does not clearly state their name, address and from whom they obtained my contact details. All of this information is clearly stated in my incoming voicemail message. Even if all of these requests are met, I tread wearilly if the person who has recommended me has been a time waster, a penny pincher or both!

I have people ring me everyday. As soon as I introduce myself they then go on and on describing their job. Then I give them the bad news. I am booked up until September and I am not looking at any jobs until at least July.

Then they simply say that is fine, come and quote anyway and if accepted they will wait until October. Like hell they will wait till October. They just need a comparison quote and my knowledge.

I had had 35 years of being dragged out all over the City, pricing jobs that take hours only to drive past two or three years later to find that drive, wall or extension has never been done. If people realised that quoting takes someones own precious personal time up, not only free of any charge but they actually pay out expenses to quote. No wonder they don't get back.

Now one way to get quotes is to offer to pay for the time involved. If the work gets done you get the fee knocked off the bill. If you do not accept the quote you have paid for the tradesmans time. You get what you want, a quote and they get what they want, reward for their time. That will sort of the time wasters.

Edited by GerryBooth

Why is it when people put jobs in here wanting work doing or they wanting someone to work for them never get back to you Sheffield forum are for people after Cowboys not proffesionals, proper builders are fighting against Cowboys on here all the time bloody joke

It works both ways. Builders are incredibly unreliable about giving estimates and then don't turn up or call you back after you accept their estimate. There's good builders around, but try finding them.

My roofer said to me a lot of people want jobs don't for next to nothing.

Now I'm getting to the age where I am finding it increasingly difficult to do things I once would have had no bother at all, I have decided to seek help from the professional tradesmen community. I have two such jobs wanting to be done, and wondered if anyone else is finding the same problem that I am? I make contact with a tradesman, wanting a quote, and I am finding the apathy shown amazing. In a time when I would think tradesmen would be silly to turn work down, the number of them that have failed to return a quote, amazes me. Then when I chase them up, my calls, if not blocked, often lead to almost abusive responses, and the promise to get back to me, with no time limit it seems! The jobs I have are not insignificant, I would expect a quote well into 4 figures for both jobs, payment would be in old fashioned cash, and each job I would think not that taxing. It is the first time in a long while that I have turned to outside help, and it might just be me, but it staggered me the trouble I have experienced.