Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

3 hours ago, nightrider said:

Thats my experience. Would always go for someone in their 50's/60's over a youngster. The former almost always do good quality work. younger people seem to be 50/50 as to whether its good/bad.

I agree.

But to be honest a tradesperson who turns up when he says he will, and returns phone calls, is already head and shoulders above many tradespeople these days irrespective of their work...

What's the best way to find good tradesmen?

18 hours ago, Dal said:

Recommendation from a friend who is regular user. Anything else is pot luck as to the quality. 

19 hours ago, Dal said:

Word of mouth

Ok here’s the latest problem need someone to trim trees in the garden.

Of all the 4 operators I phoned none answered the phone or returned my call when I left a message.

Sent an email to one and got a reply a week later saying I will get a call about when they can come and have a look that was a week ago.

strange thing was one of the companies that didn’t answer or return the call had gone to the trouble to deliver me an advertising leaflet!

Just as well am not in a hurry!!

If I need anything doing in the Flat, I just ring the Housing, like I had to ring up last week to report a faulty phone socket in the Bedroom, behind the Bedside table.

I know for a fact it'll be at least 3 months before they get anyone in to deal with it.

sometimes when you go out to give estimates, (we dont quote as you never know what will turn up once you start) you can tell pretty much straightway if the job/customer will be a pain or worth the time, if its a small job  you need a local handyman not a proper trade, most proper trades work by the day and are busy enough on their own jobs.

I popped a couple of jobs (tree removal and wiring in a pendant light) on myBuilder.com (I am in no way affiliated!!), the firms look at the job and approach you via the website if they are interested.  You can then check reviews etc and shortlist, then your number is passed to the shortlisted firms to provide a quote.  I put one job on on Tuesday and one on Wednesday, both jobs were completed on Friday of the same week.   I'll definitely use the site again as it was so convenient, and the tradespeople want the reviews to get more business so a winner all round 🙂

Sometimes it’s the customers who are at fault.  My son, a plumber, actually has customers trying to knock down the price after agreeing to the first quote over the phone, but he just says “ Thats what the price is”. Take it or leave it.

It's hard to get a trade's nan because people don't like putting in the tme yo learn trades properly to many cowboys I spent nearly 6 years learning 2 years joinery nvq  2 years wood machining nvq btec brickwork and block work 1 year of short courses 3 months each painting plumbing electrical plastering  plus 25 years time served in the trade but cowboys are ruthless 

I totally agree some customers are the problem fathing around to save a couple of quid.

If the first quote is reasonable and I am happy with the tradesmen I give them the job there and then.

On 09/05/2021 at 16:14, Fudbeer said:

Ok here’s the latest problem need someone to trim trees in the garden.

Of all the 4 operators I phoned none answered the phone or returned my call when I left a message.

Sent an email to one and got a reply a week later saying I will get a call about when they can come and have a look that was a week ago.

strange thing was one of the companies that didn’t answer or return the call had gone to the trouble to deliver me an advertising leaflet!

Just as well am not in a hurry!!

I had same problem last year, one I rang said they would come around 4.30 on such a day, located only about half a mile from me but never turned up or rang. Their loss as I was going to ask for a quote on replacing my driveway as well. I contacted a company  and they said sorry we are too busy but gave me a number to call, I rang him he came as promised gave me a price and said would be there later in the week. Turned up a day early and did a great job.