Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

We had our en suite done in Sept 2020, plumber was booked to March 2021!

He told me he'd never been busier, and if someone can fit few jobs in, probably wasn't worth hiring.

During the first lockdown when I was buying timber, that too was a task- places were busy as weather was good, so ppl were doing a lot of outdoor work.

13 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Old thread but still relevant.

Have been getting some work done on the house including new kitchen and getting tradesman has been a nightmare. 

Everyone saying they have huge amounts of work on and really hard to get even one quote let alone more.

All done now but not been easy.

I actually dont usually bother with multi quotes if someone comes and it seems fair will give them the work. just as well really!

If I had my time again would defiantly go into one of the home improvement related trades!

Anyone else had the same recently?

for some things. Builder was hard to get for repointing.

But my regular plumber is always available at short notice(but he doesn't advertise for new work so unless a friend recommends you, then you ain't getting him). Had no problems getting an electrician (again he does not advertise and we were recommended to him by a regular client of his - I think a lot are like this, won't take random customers and only take recommendations. Apparently a lot of customers are considered "difficult"in that they complain too much, don't pay on time etc...)

Got a plasterer for a 30 minute patch job no probs this week (3 local guys all were able to fit me in around their bigger jobs this week) though, all ones I contacted without an introduction from an existing client.

Gardener I used last summer was so busy we could not pay him (had to keep asking him to come and collect the cheque for months!)., He said he could not believe how much work he has nowadays.

Edited by nightrider

It’s crazy how busy they are but I’m pleased for them.

I had a tree surgeon round in October and he was fully booked through March.

Also we’re due to have an extension but the architect has advised us to wait until next year as anyone decent is now booked for the next 12 months.  
Architects are also really busy with a 2 month wait before they can start with any new clients.

I

Depends which tradesmen you require. The busiest and hardest to book are Gas Safe Registered plumbers. With the cold weather and boilers etc on the blink they are all fully booked.

Yes pleased for them and fully understand their frustration with some customers  wanting multiple quotes for £100  jobs!

I think most are extremely busy - Lockdown has created a cycle of everyone getting their homes and other jobs done that have been left.

Let us also remember many grants have been issued and many businesses who have access to the funds may be also renovating premises.

I would say though, a text would be better than a call or an email most will be working and ignore the phone.

2 hours ago, HostOX said:

I think most are extremely busy - Lockdown has created a cycle of everyone getting their homes and other jobs done that have been left.

Let us also remember many grants have been issued and many businesses who have access to the funds may be also renovating premises.

I would say though, a text would be better than a call or an email most will be working and ignore the phone.

Yes definitely and the money that would have been splashed on a family holiday,  has gone on spending on the house.

In general lockdown has allowed some people to put a bit extra away- less eating out, no pubs, clubs and shopping (non essential).

2 hours ago, Mr Fisk said:

Yes definitely and the money that would have been splashed on a family holiday,  has gone on spending on the house.

In general lockdown has allowed some people to put a bit extra away- less eating out, no pubs, clubs and shopping (non essential).

Absolutely and the housing market is booming certainly around here anyway.Which will no doubt be helping.

9 hours ago, HostOX said:

Reliable good honest tradesman are always busy and are mostly found in the EU migrant communities. And understandably they don't prioritise folk who actively discriminate against them.

Just to debunk this one,no they’re not. I’ve seen some proper horror stories built by east europeans. I also know of some great work done by them. They usually are prepared to put a graft in but their skills are as variable as anyone else’s. Regarding availability of trades, yes anyone who is any good is usually booked up. Also what tends to happen is that when a customer realises that they have a decent builder on site they add a shopping list of other work that they weren’t planning to get done just yet. The most extreme example that I personally experienced was being asked to fit floor joists in a new extension , a days work, and finally walking away from the job 6 months later after being involved in a full rip out and refurb of the existing property. Also consider that your tradesman will undoubtably have one or more regular general builders who will offer him work which he won’t turn down as it’s guaranteed repeat business. General builders value decent, reliable tradesmen as much as anyone else and will always give first crack at a job to people they have successfully worked with in the past.

9 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Reliable good honest tradesman are always busy and are mostly found in the EU migrant communities. And understandably they don't prioritise folk who actively discriminate against them.

I've never even come across a tradesman around here who was not Sheffield born and bred. Where would I find one of these EU tradesmen?

5 hours ago, nightrider said:

I've never even come across a tradesman around here who was not Sheffield born and bred. Where would I find one of these EU tradesmen?

Many great EU tradesman living here but unless you can vetted they don't prioritise natives because of the discrimination they face.