Why is it so hard to get a tradesman?

For nearly three months I have been trying to find a gardening service that will cut my hedge and hopefully do some other  work I need done over the coming months. I have several different problems with the people I contact. Some don't return calls, answer emails or look at their own websites. I've flooded them with requests for a quote. The ones I have actually managed to speak to always say. "Sorry love, I don't do that part of Sheffield." When I ask if they can tell me who does, they have no idea; fair enough, but who does? One said he knew someone who did, but he's stopped now.

I have delivery people tell me they had a hard time finding me because they didn't know there was a house here. I ask them if they know of any gardeners - I ask lots of people, and nobody knows. Even if they did, I'm starting to wonder if anyone would answer the phone or call back when they say they will. 

What's going on? Is this a no-go zone? 

Is your hedge particularly high or inaccessible?

A problem people have with many trades these days if if they are providing a service where they can pick or choose their work, is that they tend to shy away from anything too difficult. In the old days they did this by pricing unrealistically high. These days they do it by simply not getting back to you with a quote or even not bothering to look at the job if it sounds too difficult on the phone. 😡

In the same area, I posted a request on SF for a Traditional Window Cleaner! 

No immediate response initially, where did I get one from eventually - Clay Cross!

Maybe People don't want to work for OAPs or Outside?

Alternatively they might just hate gardening for others, even for Gain?

This isn't sounding good. I need to have things delivered to me and it's getting to a point where deliveries will be refused if I don't get the hedge cut... but I can't get the hedge cut!

I used to do it myself, but after two operations on my hands, I can't do much anymore. I occasionally break bits of small twigs off as I walk down the path and that's all I can do by myself.

Edited by Touchwood

Gardeners don’t like cutting hedges in the Summer as they are too busy cutting lawns. As soon as the grass cutting season slows down a bit, and there are not too many lawns to cut, you will get a hedge cutter. October is the month I have my hedges cut, then they are falling over themselves to do them.

1 hour ago, DeZeus said:

Alternatively they might just hate gardening for others, even for Gain?

Every gardener I know, loves their job and wouldn’t swap it for anything else.

I just typed 'Gardeners Sheffield S5' into Google and found at least half a dozen who all say they work in S5. In the case of cutting a hedge you might want to look for arborists too, that brings up even more options.

And as for traditional window cleaners, I personally know of at least 2 who live within a few houses of my parents' house. It could be that they're fully booked I suppose.

S5 is a large area. We have 3 window cleaners working our area near Lane top and there is a local gardener but he is usually fully booked up. 

I've googled it until I'm tired of it and none of them answer their phones and they don't get back to me when I leave a message. My hedge is rather tall, but it's very accessible. I'm still calling people, but no replies today. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Join the club, I've been trying to get a gardener in S6 for the past three months and as you say they don't  return your calls or they promise  to come then let you down.

I just wanted the conifers trimming , they're  not too high so I have now decided  to have them chopped down completely then I won't  have the same headache next year or the years after.

I think I have someone organised to do it if he doesn't  let me down, I'm  keeping my fingers crossed.

Old thread but still relevant.

Have been getting some work done on the house including new kitchen and getting tradesman has been a nightmare. 

Everyone saying they have huge amounts of work on and really hard to get even one quote let alone more.

All done now but not been easy.

I actually dont usually bother with multi quotes if someone comes and it seems fair will give them the work. just as well really!

If I had my time again would defiantly go into one of the home improvement related trades!

Anyone else had the same recently?

Edited by Fudbeer

7 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Anyone else had the same recently?

Yep, months waiting for new windows... still waiting, though have a date now.

I spoke to a few trades and the guy at the window place, no-one's been on holiday so they're getting new windows, kitchens, bathrooms, etc with all the loot they've saved.

They've never been busier.