Classic Restoration

Hi does anybody out there know of a restorer who uses lead on car body panels, in partic coupe roofs around the rear screen. I know it is a skill fast vanishing but hopefully a craftsman in the Sheffield area still uses it.

Lead loading is very oldschool, why would you want that done?

My classic coupe is badly rusted around the rear screen where the window rubber fits. An elderly gent thought leading was the way to go, but if anybody has other ideas Iam open to all options.

Lead loading is quite easy to do but, and it is a big but, it has to be done correctly. The metals will react and the repair often fails. But it is the easiest way for some repairs.

Around a window, I would get a good welder to cut out and replace with new metal. Long winded and lots of grinding to the welds to get the shape just right (no leaks) but it is better long term and stronger by a mile.

Thank you for your replies and is there anyone who does lead loading out there or a very good welder