The road to Wigan Pier

I am just reading this book,'Road to Wigan Pier'

Orwell mentions Sheffield a lot.

One chapter talking about the deplorable housing condition mentions caravans in Sheffield.

From the description little more than chicken coops holding as many as 6 people,this would be between 1930-1940

I could not find any trace of Orwell's references to caravans in Sheffield.

Does anyone know if these existed?

One chapter talking about the deplorable housing condition mentions caravans in Sheffield.

From the description little more than chicken coops holding as many as 6 people,this would be between 1930-1940

Re caravans, maybe he was referring to the pre fab estates of which there were many around the Sheffield area

Cambridge ground? Penistone Road opposite Morrisons.

Re caravans, maybe he was referring to the pre fab estates of which there were many around the Sheffield area

As far as I am aware the prefabs were first erected after 1945

As far as I am aware the prefabs were first erected after 1945

Yes, they were a post war thing, I believe ,I got my wires crossed with the dates. Although I was born in 1945 and don't remember them being put together LOL:D

Yes, they were a post war thing, I believe ,I got my wires crossed with the dates. Although I was born in 1945 and don't remember them being put together LOL:D

The prefabs were built to house bomb damaged families of W.W.2 so 1945 sounds right. Perhaps he was referring to the 'Munition Worker's Huts' that were deplorable conditions (and were rid of in the 1930's') they were in Tinsley and the Grimesthorpe / Petre Street vicinity. They weren't just demolished, they had to burn them down !

Edited by stpetre

Cambridge ground? Penistone Road opposite Morrisons.

there were a few all travellers

The Chris Hobbs site has a lot of information on Orwell's visit to Sheffield http://www.chrishobbs.com/orwellsheffield1936.htm

I like the reference to the "pot banks" - really cementation furnaces.

Thank you Elmambo, Wallace Road (Neepsend/Parkwood Springs) apart from the people, wasn't exactly housing Utopia either.

there were a few all travellers

My mates father was born there he wasn't a traveller, although quite a few were.

My mates father was born there he wasn't a traveller, although quite a few were.

Are we talking about Gypsies (and those Caravans) who weren't exactly Sheffield . Yorkshire or English indeed even British !

The prefabs were built to house bomb damaged families of W.W.2 so 1945 sounds right. Perhaps he was referring to the 'Munition Worker's Huts' that were deplorable conditions (and were rid of in the 1930's') they were in Tinsley and the Grimesthorpe / Petre Street vicinity. They weren't just demolished, they had to burn them down !

I will have to look into Munition Workers Huts,they sound like what Orwell was describing