Hillsborough Inquest Verdicts Returned

Having followed the inquests in great detail, it's a shame the fans were found "in no way to blame." I don't see how you can examine the evidence and not see that there were failings on both sides: it's fine to hold to the police to account for mismanagement but there has to be an element of personal responsibility for those who actually caused the crush. It was an inevitable result though, I suppose, given the (bizarrely chosen) location of the inquests and the origins of the jurors.

Is anyone else watching the live feed from Warrington? What a bittersweet day this is. The faces of the older ladies, clutching the photos of loved ones say it all.

The families outside have joined hands and sung 'You'll never walk alone'.

My opinion will probably lead to an argument and the thread being closed and me probably being banned, so there is little point in stating it.

PM me if you really want to know my thoughts.

Having been a moderator on here for many years I can assure you that no one was banned for expressing an opinion. As to whether that opinion led to an argument, that can only be judged after said argument occurs and then the moderators will look at the arguments in an objective light and decide whether or not to close the thread and/or issue bans.

I hope that reassures you as to the process and perhaps now you can put your opinion.

Never mind, I'll go off what I saw from my front window that day if you don't mind?

I'm out.

Therein lies the problem, unless your front window was wide enough to take in the entire approaches to the stadium, the inside of the stadium, the police control box, the planning meetings before the match and all the other issues that contributed then it will remain a, quite literally, narrow point of view.

Having been a moderator on here for many years I can assure you that no one was banned for expressing an opinion. As to whether that opinion led to an argument, that can only be judged after said argument occurs and then the moderators will look at the arguments in an objective light and decide whether or not to close the thread and/or issue bans.

I hope that reassures you as to the process and perhaps now you can put your opinion.

Amazon123 has effectively stated what I was thinking. Almost everyone has been blamed for this (even those in the ambulances, for crying out loud) except the group of people he specifies, this verdict was inevitable though as if it was the other way, we would have been heard years of calls for yet another inquest and more public funds spent on it.

It was a "perfect storm" and blame should have been apportioned on all sides. Unfortunately this verdict has been designed merely to keep people happy.

Therein lies the problem, unless your front window was wide enough to take in the entire approaches to the stadium, the inside of the stadium, the police control box, the planning meetings before the match and all the other issues that contributed then it will remain a, quite literally, narrow point of view.

And that sums it up beautifully.

Having followed the inquests in great detail, it's a shame the fans were found "in no way to blame." I don't see how you can examine the evidence and not see that there were failings on both sides: it's fine to hold to the police to account for mismanagement but there has to be an element of personal responsibility for those who actually caused the crush. It was an inevitable result though, I suppose, given the (bizarrely chosen) location of the inquests and the origins of the jurors.

Even now, after every inquiry has failed to find any evidence of culpability, after a highly panicked and motivated police force failed for 27 years to find any evidence of culpability, after all of the TV cameras at one of the most comprehensively filmed disaters failed to find any evidence of culpability and after investigative journalists with decidedly political motivations failed to find any evidence of culpability and just lied instead, even now you still say that.. unbelieveable.

So it was everyone's fault except the fans, as Cilla used to say...suprise suprise

Liverpool fans 'rushing' gates without tickets was commonplace at the time.

Anyone around Hillsborough on that day knew there were elements of the Liverpool fans looking to cause trouble.

95% of the fans are blameless and yes mistakes were made but to completely remove any of the blame from all fans is an obvious and quite cowardly mistake.

Edited by the fonz

Amazon123 has effectively stated what I was thinking. Almost everyone has been blamed for this (even those in the ambulances, for crying out loud) except the group of people he specifies, this verdict was inevitable though as if it was the other way, we would have been heard years of calls for yet another inquest and more public funds spent on it.

It was a "perfect storm" and blame should have been apportioned on all sides. Unfortunately this verdict has been designed merely to keep people happy.

Exactly. If you take a step back and look at what actually happened - a large number of people were killed because an even larger group of people rushed into a stadium and crushed them - those people need to be held accountable, as well as all of those named as responsible in the verdict (ambulance men and women, the police, SWFC).

Is anyone else watching the live feed from Warrington? What a bittersweet day this is. The faces of the older ladies, clutching the photos of loved ones say it all.

The families outside have joined hands and sung 'You'll never walk alone'.

Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

I for one hope this is the end of the matter, but it won't be. The Hillsborough Family Support Group won't rest until men in the 70's and 80's are thrown into prison and/or had the pensions they rightfully earnt through 30+ years of service taken off them and they end up destitute.

It's time to let it lie now.