Hillsborough Inquest Verdicts Returned

I'm sure it would. How did they manage at all the other games?

By having a valid safety certificate for the ground for starters.

So with the knowledge of how turnstiles work it would have been a good idea to arrive early.

It wasn't how they work, it was the number available that was the problem. Too few.

Very good that this has shown up 'The Sun' once again.

^^Yes, this^^

I'd like to echo the point made by former Liverpool forward, John Aldridge, who was on the pitch on the day of the tragedy. He called Kelvin MacKenzie, the editor of the Sun in 1989, a "complete and utter disgrace to humanity".

Edited by Mister M

The fans weren't 'funnelled' into any pen. The problem was when you got through the turnstile a tunnel in front of you led to the terrace, which most fans aimed for. They didn't know / weren't told that the pens at the side which they could have gone to, were only half full

Which is the key mistake made by police - they opened the gate but failed to close the tunnel. If they had stopped people going straight forward and diverted the fans left or right, there would have been no disaster.

Fatal incompetence. Maybe criminal.

It really has staggered me how many posters are in denial about the verdict. This is a shameful episode for SWFC, SYP and of course the good old Sun.

Or those with tickets could have arranged to arrive on time. Problem solved.

If it was only folk who had tickets got into the ground why were there crushes inside. Did they sell too many tickets or were there folk inside who hadn't got one?

Most did arrive on time. There wasn't enough turnstyles. Only 7 for 10,000 fans. A bottleneck occurred.

There are very few cases of people not having tickets. Where did you get this from? Oh the Police.

It could only be the police unless you checked all the supporters yourself.

---------- Post added 26-04-2016 at 18:33 ----------

I'm sure it would. How did they manage at all the other games?

They didn't there were problems at big games before.

Using your logic of drunken ticketless fans how come this sort of thing didn't happen at all games?

Let's hope there'll be prosecutions now, people need to be made accountable and I feel sorry for those genuine workers that day who wanted so much to help but the idiots in higher positions made it impossible for them, I'd have just quit, what a horrible set of events that transpired that day

Most did arrive on time. There wasn't enough turnstyles. Only 7 for 10,000 fans. A bottleneck occurred.

There are very few cases of people not having tickets. Where did you get this from? Oh the Police.

It could only be the police unless you checked all the supporters yourself.

Does it say anywhere in the report what time the turnstiles opened? It would be interesting to know how many people would have needed to get through each one before kick-off with that ratio of turnstiles per supporter

If you notice, not many 'so called' fans had Liverpool shirts on...it does not make sense!!

Wearing football shirts for games wasn't as big in those days. There were no sponsors to push their sales. I doubt the club even sold them.

You could get one a Sugg Sport but that was usually kids.

It was hat and scarf in those days...

We don't have rattles either these days :hihi:

Does it say anywhere in the report what time the turnstiles opened? It would be interesting to know how many people would have needed to get through each one before kick-off with that ratio of turnstiles per supporter

I read the Taylor report years ago but can't remember. I recall though that there wasn't as many turnstyles open as usual... I also remember that on the day they had a specific turnstyle for tickets ie a,b,c,d,e, each ticket had a letter on it and you had to go to the specific turnstyle. Don't quote me on this but I think there was a **** up and the club failed to identify the turnstyles properly. So fans went to one to be turned away and sent to another. This caused further delays...

Which is the key mistake made by police - they opened the gate but failed to close the tunnel. If they had stopped people going straight forward and diverted the fans left or right, there would have been no disaster.

Fatal incompetence. Maybe criminal.

It really has staggered me how many posters are in denial about the verdict. This is a shameful episode for SWFC, SYP and of course the good old Sun.

This is the answer to end all of this. Well done to you sir.

People are human. Mistakes were made. That is not the issue.

But the police tried to put the blame on others. They lied, lied and lied again, falsified documents, used pressure and coersion to cover up their failings, that's what's been on trial. It's taken an unbelievable 27 years and God knows how many enquiries for the truth to come out at last.

If only the Police had been brave enough to be honest in the first place all this could have been avoided.