Hillsborough Inquest Verdicts Returned

There is now talk of prosecuting members of the South Yorkshire police who have been now publicly named and shamed as bearing large amounts of responsibility for what happened. Despite his culpability, I hope they don't prosecute David Duckenfield. He has to live with the knowledge that his actions or inactions contributed in a major way to the deaths of 96 people. It must be a terrible fate to live with this knowledge, which is punishment enough in my view.

He lied. For that alone he should be prosecuted.

A lady has just spoken at the press conference, a relative of one of the 96. She said if Duckinfield had told the truth 27 years ago then the last 27 years would not have happened.

Terrible to live with the knowledge he has? Jesus what about the relatives who've waited 27 years for the truth.

There is now talk of prosecuting members of the South Yorkshire police who have been now publicly named and shamed as bearing large amounts of responsibility for what happened. Despite his culpability, I hope they don't prosecute David Duckenfield. He has to live with the knowledge that his actions or inactions contributed in a major way to the deaths of 96 people. It must be a terrible fate to live with this knowledge, which is punishment enough in my view.

I agree. He made a terrible mistake that day. He didn't want anyone to die, if anything we has trying to save lives by opening the gate!! People seem to forget that....

I'm uncomfortable with the conspiracy and cover up claims about what happened afterwards though and he must deal with those consequences. Were it not for that, maybe the victims' families would have accepted long ago that it was just a tragic accident.....who knows.

The ambulance chasing lawyers and their Porche dealers will be rubbing their hands in glee now. Brace yourselves for the "were you at Hillsborough" phone calls

I feel really passionate about this, but not in the way most do.

I think it was an absolute tragedy, & a chain of events caused by some very bad decisions. Some of those decisions by SYP, but also some by Liverpool fans. That’s not to say I blame the fans, & I don’t know if any of the 96 were to blame.

What I do know though is this; Nobody went to a football match to die, & not one single police officer went on shift to allow someone to die.

People lost their lives that day due to some terrible decisions made on the day, these decisions came from the unfolding events & I believe that on the day everyone did what they could.

The verdict is what it is, the people there on the day, & the families of those there have to live with what happened every day, & will continue to do so. Prosecuting people 27 years later isn’t an answer, it just drags it on.

The ambulance chasing lawyers and their Porche dealers will be rubbing their hands in glee now. Brace yourselves for the "were you at Hillsborough" phone calls

eeeeeee now you come to mention it i think i was soft lad.

And you cannot just discount a jury's verdict because it doesn't suit.

can you honestly tell me that if the jury came back and said no one was to blame , that the families would respect that verdict because it didn't suit

can you honestly tell me that if the jury came back and said no one was to blame , that the families would respect that verdict because it didn't suit

Would all this have happened had there not been a cover up in the first place?

Would all this have happened had there not been a cover up in the first place?

Exactly...........

I'm puzzled by this...A lot of people on here have said they 'know' what happened, they were there and saw it, or in one case 'saw what happened through my front room window'...'Sheffielders 'know' what really happened, yet nobody appears to have told this to the authorities and presumably wasn't called as a witness in court.

Why? When 'what people know' could have been crucial.

Maybe the verdict would still be the same...Maybe not...But on the face of it the jury didn't have 'all' the facts, only those available to them.

Not sure where I'm going with this (if anywhere)...Just an observation really.

At the end of the day, the families may have been vindicated but nobody is a winner here, people are still dead and nothing will bring them back, this is just a conciliation prize in a big sordid mess

Anyone who is opposed to today's outcome can only come to that conclusion because they have read very little about the disaster. Start with the Taylor report.

The Sun are not really the best source of information about what happened.

I've just read a outstanding claim on Facebook by someone who doesn't accept the outcome...

The fans were definitely trying to force the gate because the next day it was inspected and there were indents in the gate in the shape of human heads...

I didn't realise a skull was stronger than a heavy metal gate.