Sheffield is among the worse bad language towns.

My dad told me before he took me in the pub for the first time, "Swear with me but never at me". We were mates as well as Father and Son and swear words were the norm in the pub and in the steelworks although we never swore at home. I have never swore in front of my daughter who is now in her 30s but swear with my sons in the pub and at footie matches and we are so relaxed with each other that swear words mean nothing.

Do you use it in front of ladies,children, grand children and so on ?

I always try to be careful I don't like to swear in front of my kids,I was in the army for years so it does seem to be a part of my language to swear a bit...

I always try to be careful I don't like to swear in front of my kids,I was in the army for years so it does seem to be a part of my language to swear a bit...

I understand that but it takes me back to a previous post that explained how the working classes did not swear in front of women and kids , maybe times have changed for many in todays society and perhaps not many people care any more.

I prefer the old carry on really and I still get uptight when I hear bad language in public places but I have learned that it is best to keep ones thoughts to ones self .

Edited by samssong

Do you swear in front of other peoples children?

Its a lot more acceptable to use the F word now that 50 years ago when it would be quite shocking, but the flip side is that 50 years ago it was more acceptable to use the N word than today.

What is acceptable changes as time passes and society changes.

I can use the odd expletive, and in some appropriate situations swearing can really make a point. It doesn't upset me, even though the strongest word I ever heard my father say was 'damn'. Times change.

However, I can't stand hearing people speaking 'oafish' whose only adjective starts with 'f'. Even worse are adults swearing loudly at small children, as in 'get ere you effin' little bxxxxxx'.

I dont think your social standing and intelligence can be judged by your use of swearwords but can by your ability to spell them correctly.

It depends upon circumstance as to wether a word is offensive or not.

Swear words are just words, many of purely innocuous origin which some find offensive … most probably due to sheltered upbringing, lack of knowledge or misplaced sensibilities.

I have a fairly adequate vocabulary and know how to string together a pretty coherent sentence, some of these sentences being much more offensive than the now common (thus, lacking oomph factor) swear word should the need arise.

I tend to use swearing more for comedic effect, mainly with my girlfriend (who swears quite a bit back). It's quite good fun to make up new swear words too! :)

Like twasterd

Mods! … yellowperil's just sworn! :o:D

Exactly the same in mine. All these people commenting about low command of language or low intelligence are hugely mistaken.

Its part of language. I work for a large corporate law firm and people around here swear like Dockers.

As the great Billy Connolly once said..... sometimes "shoo" and "go away" just wont do.

Yea I worked in law, swore like a trooper an my colleagues loved the way it lightened their day, an guess what like Billy Connolly, I'm also Glaswegian.

Yea I worked in law, swore like a trooper an my colleagues loved the way it lightened their day, an guess what like Billy Connolly, I'm also Glaswegian.

You all sound as if being foul mouthed is something to be proud of.