The demise of the Odeon Cinema?

I understand why some people do not go to the Odeon now after last night. I parked in the carpark by it and it cost me £19 to park for approx 5 and a half hours. (I was at the Alien/Aliens double bill at the Curzon Cinema).

You could have parked on street or in any council owned car park for £2 all night after 4pm (?) or just a quid after half seven! Or free after half eight.

Anyone using that car park is an idiot, Im afraid. I park down near the post office depot and just walk up, costs me no more than £2 depending on what time film I go to (some nights it costs me £1 or nothing at all) and given the Odeon is much cheaper than Cineworld its still a saving.

It "only" goes up to £19 after 6 hours:

http://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/sheffield-arundel-gate/

Edited by Hambeast

Situated next to the biggest campus of the biggest university in Sheffield in terms of number attending, the true definition of "isolation" ;)

I know a whole bunch of students and they all go to cineworld when they organise a cinema social.

Possibly isolated is over stating it though, maybe "on the periphery" would be more acceptable?

The location isn't what stops me using it, I don't go there because it's grim, the screens are small and the comfort and quality is poor.

---------- Post added 27-04-2016 at 11:23 ----------

I understand why some people do not go to the Odeon now after last night. I parked in the carpark by it and it cost me £19 to park for approx 5 and a half hours. (I was at the Alien/Aliens double bill at the Curzon Cinema).

Ouch.

You could have had a meal for 2 at Meadowhall for the parking price. Or just pocketed the difference (even after the higher ticket prices).

I know a whole bunch of students and they all go to cineworld when they organise a cinema social.

More fool them for wasting money on trams there and back and paying over the odds for the same film you can get in town.

The "luxury" seats at the Odeon are absolutely fine.

the light will be modern and bright and is part of a cinema brand that started in the wirral and will have over ten by next year

Yes, I used to frequent them. Good prices, good service and good atmosphere.

More fool them for wasting money on trams there and back and paying over the odds for the same film you can get in town.

How do they compare to the luxury ones at Vue and Cineworld though?

I guess they disagree with you, as do I. And that's why the Odeon will end up closing.

Your'e assuming that the students live either in town or on the campus?

Its a good example of 'you get what you pay for'

So called mainstream cinemas definitely seem to be moving towards a more upmarket cinema experience.

Is there a place for a budget cinema offering?

Ouch.

You could have had a meal for 2 at Meadowhall for the parking price. Or just pocketed the difference (even after the higher ticket prices).

I know. If I had time I would have travelled on a bus in and then cabbed it back home, but I didn't have the time, but I could have used Uber both ways and still had change for a pint. What a rip off. Im also peeved as the price is not advertised until you get to the machine to pay, so you have no idea how expensive it is.

---------- Post added 27-04-2016 at 14:21 ----------

Is there a place for a budget cinema offering?

Easy Group tried this with the Easy Cinema and it failed.

Regarding the pricing, am I reading the website correctly that they charge you more if they think the film is popular?

So adult £5.25 + £1.50 blockbuster surcharge? £6.75 + parking

Vue at meadowhall £9.29, free parking.

Regarding the pricing, am I reading the website correctly that they charge you more if they think the film is popular?

So adult £5.25 + £1.50 blockbuster surcharge? £6.75 + parking

Vue at meadowhall £9.29, free parking.

Just checked myself & it's true - different prices for different films! Crazy.

TMNT:Out of the Shadows/Angry Birds + 50p each/+£2.00 Family

The Jungle Book + £1 each/+£4.00 Family

Captain America: Civil War / Warcraft/XMen:Apocalypse + £1.50 each/+£4.00 Family

I wonder if those films cost more to buy in than others? Seems a bit like bad business to hide these surchages (or not make then explicit in the advertising).

I wonder if those films cost more to buy in than others? Seems a bit like bad business to hide these surchages (or not make then explicit in the advertising).

Maybe because they're popular they can get away with charging extra for them?