The demise of the Odeon Cinema?

When The Light opens on the Moor, that will be the Odeon, the Showroom and the Curzon.

I appreciate they all say they offer something different, and maybe some do, but is there enough demand for all these cinemas?

The Light might displace the Odeon but other cities have more mainstream cinemas in their city centres than Sheffield does so I don't see why the Odeon with some investment could not prosper at the same time.

I think if Odeon were going to invest in that cinema they would have done so already.

Maybe the location/building isn't correct for further expansion, or maybe the footfall just doesn't make it commercially viable?

When The Light opens on the Moor, that will be the Odeon, the Showroom and the Curzon.

I appreciate they all say they offer something different, and maybe some do, but is there enough demand for all these cinemas?

I can see The Light slowly killing off the Odeon unless the latter does a major overhaul etc. to try and compete with it. The Light will be brand new-build and in amongst restaurants/close to retail etc. - much closer to the way leisure/retail is done now in shopping centres etc elsewhere in the country.

Curzon is pretty nice but doesn't seem to have had the impact some might have expected. Very quiet when I have been. I expect Showroom will continue to do fine.

---------- Post added 25-04-2016 at 17:24 ----------

I think if Odeon were going to invest in that cinema they would have done so already.

Maybe the location/building isn't correct for further expansion, or maybe the footfall just doesn't make it commercially viable?

But up until now there has been enough business to survive, purely off the back of being the only big cinema in Sheffield without having to take yourself out to Cineworld. Once The Light starts operating, that won't be the case anymore, and they'll have to fight a bit - if they have any interest in doing so.

I hope it won't be closing soon. There's been enough job losses recently.

This isnt very nice. The Odeon would have been great when it was first built. You can't attack them for not morphing into a multiplex. Coincidently the first multiplex built in the UK was The Point in Milton Keynes in 1985, which was an Odeon, but is now due to be demolished. It looks very old and tatty compared to the massive Cineworld complexes.

erm, the Odeon is a multiplex, there's more than 2 screens....

The Odeon actually has 10 screens, not that you'd know it from their schedules and outside is deceptive because of its clever construction with most of building below street level.

I'm not sure if there is enough demand in the city centre for two cinemas, but if the Odeon are to stand a chance they really do need to give the place a refubishment. I know it's cheaper but that's not enough to keep people away from Cineworld and the like, and Cineworld especially after their refit is by far the most comfortable cinema in Sheffield.

In fact, if both the Odeon and the O2 Academy were reclad with some nicer, more modern materials (since they both have the same at the moment) it would do a world of good to that area of town.

The only bit im sad for is the staff. Am surprised its been going this long. Cant see the city centre having enough for 2 cinemas, but they could rebrand and focus.

Surely a city of half a million people has enough custom for 2 cinemas in the City Centre

There are already 3 cinemas in the city centre.

The Light will make it 4.

Plus the Showroom has a bar adjoining it, so does Cineworld and VUE so the Odeon need to start playing ball and offer something else on premises to be competitive, I say reduce its screens to say 8 then use the space for a bar / restaurant, that'd be a start

I don't mind the Odeon, we often choose there over Meadowhall or Centertainment. Granted that its not the most up to date, but they have put new seats in recently and they are comfy. We see the same film that is showing in the other cinemas and often at a fraction of the price. A family ticket 2 adults and 2 children costs £20.