The demise of the Odeon Cinema?

I

Cineworld - nearly fell through the floor when I realised the ticket price. Had to consider taking out a bank loan for the popcorn etc. Since it's refurb it feels impersonal and I felt like I was in the middle of some surreal nightmare with all the flashing lights, big screens and constant ads, ads, ads. I needed a lie down after visiting that one. And it is a right pain in the backside to get to if you don't have a car. I never return there in a hurry unless what I want to see isn't on at the others.

Certainly is expensive, I agree.

But difficult to get to? You've noticed the trams in Sheffield right? They stop at Cineworld, right outside the cinema.

Vue - about the same as Cineworld although slightly cheaper. Plus it resides in that seventh circle of hell, Meadowhall full of people rushing around spending money they don't have, on tat they don't need like the world will end tomorrow or something. More than enough reason to avoid like the plague. Also a pain in the rear to get to. Two buses or a taxi. All the food is served with plastic forks etc in the food court. Felt like being in school again. Plus I can never hear myself think.

I go on a Thursday evening for the 'early' show, around 1730. Meadowhall is quiet and you can walk through it at a normal adult pace instead of the special, slow, shopper pace.

Again, the tram goes right to the place.

But if you do drive, you can park in the appropriate space and the time between entering the door and reaching the cinema is measured in seconds and only involves passing a few food places.

---------- Post added 03-05-2016 at 08:16 ----------

When I open that link it says a 2D family ticket at Cineworld costs £32. The full list, with Odeon comparibles in brackets on the right:

Family ticket 2D - £32 (£18 for normal films, or £20/£22 for certain "blockbuster" films)

Family ticket 3D - £38.40 (£24.40 for normal films, or £26.40/£28.40 for certain "blockbuster" films)

Family ticket IMAX - £52 (n/a)

Family ticker IMAX 3D - £60 (n/a)

Family ricket 4DX - £50.80 (n/a)

Family ticket 4DX 3D - £56.80 (n/a)

In all the cases where a comparison can be made, the family tickets are at least £10 cheaper and in some cases as much as £14.

As for screen sixes, some of the screens at Cineworld are just as big as the ones at the Odeon, they arent all huge 800 seater monsters :)

And I went and actually compared a few films, don't really know why, but the price was cheaper than the listed £32 for a family ticket.

The last time we visited Odeon was about 15 years ago. The screen was too small.

The last time we visited Odeon was about 15 years ago. The screen was too small.

The Odeon is the only cinema where you actually want the seats as close as possible to the screen.

I was in the Odeon in Sheffield on Saturday - it was cold and there was no hot water in the lavatories. There was a piece of A4 paper pinned up which I saw on my way out. It said there would be no heating from 2nd December. It did not say when the heating would be on again. The Odeon is a national chain. That cinema is run down and far from clean. Why do they care so little about their customers in Sheffield?

because people still go??

It's been a total toilet for over a decade.

Just a thought could the Odean premises be transformed into a new Central Library?

Just a thought could the Odean premises be transformed into a new Central Library?

I think, at one time, it was turned into a bingo parlour. When did it start up as a Cinema again ?

I think, at one time, it was turned into a bingo parlour. When did it start up as a Cinema again ?

If I am right the Odeon is the old Fiesta, not the old Odeon you thinking of near Fitzalan Square which did become a bingo hall.

If I am right the Odeon is the old Fiesta, not the old Odeon you thinking of near Fitzalan Square which did become a bingo hall.

Thanks I didn't know that. . Yeah that was where Flat Street joined Fitzalan Square where The Sound Of Music played forever in the 60's lol

Thanks I didn't know that. . Yeah that was where Flat Street joined Fitzalan Square where The Sound Of Music played forever in the 60's lol

Until Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was released.

Until Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was released.

Didn't mind that one too much. Watched it a few weeks back followed by The Sting.:cool: