Star Flyer ride on Fargate

200 foot high Star Flyer ride to grace Fargate soon until June as per Star web page.

Wow! That's the most progressive thing that SCC have rubber stamped in decades!

The view from the top should be amazing, well done SCC!

More down market nonsense. The traveller fair the council insist on bringing to fargate each school holidays is so last century. Does any forward thinking big city still persevere with such tripe?

We can jump on the band wagon and bring this latest thing but are so far behind Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool it's embarrassing.

Edited by Wonder Boy
Typo, just the three!

Why a just a ride, why not open a few more pound shops and charity shops, the reason the Town centre is dead on its feet is all down to the council by giving planning permission for Meadowhall, even bus routes were re-routed to Meadowhall, my journey home from work was bad enough but the bus was routed via Meadowhall making my journey longer. Open Fargate, and the Moor up to traffic again.

Why a just a ride, why not open a few more pound shops and charity shops, the reason the Town centre is dead on its feet is all down to the council by giving planning permission for Meadowhall, even bus routes were re-routed to Meadowhall, my journey home from work was bad enough but the bus was routed via Meadowhall making my journey longer. Open Fargate, and the Moor up to traffic again.

Sheffield council had little to do with giving planning permission for Meadowhell it was a government quango called Sheffield Development Corporation https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Development_Corporation

Like other development corporations it could do almost what it wanted and override the local council. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_corporations

Interestingly £7.5 million came from the EU

Just when the tacky fairground rides had gone we are now cursed with this monstrosity! And don't get me started on the abomination which gets so inappropriately sited by the side of the war memorial in Barkers pool and terrifies me with the closeness it comes to the side of the City Hall. And before anyone says these things are safe, there are a few unfortunate young people who learned the hard way that Alton Towers rollercoaster wasn't safe.

More down market nonsense. The traveller fair the council insist on bringing to fargate each school holidays is so last century. Does any forward thinking big city still persevere with such tripe?

We can jump on the band wagon and bring this latest thing but are so far behind Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool it's embarrassing.

Why must Sheffield 'jump on the band wagon' at all ?

Why the need to 'keep up' with places such as Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool at all ?

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 12:09 ----------

I'd rather have the big wheel back on Fargate to be honest.

So would I.

I regret not going on it whilst it was in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 12:11 ----------

But it isn't.

Have you even been into the city centre recently ?

Why the need to 'keep up' with places such as Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool at all ?

Have you read the contents of this forum? Its all that some people ever complain about.

Leeds has a better..... Manchester is getting a new... Sheffield is crap and never get......