Used car buying help!

I know there's lots of threads on here about buying used cars, but I can't find one specifically to answer my question.

I need a new car and I'm more than happy to have a used one. I've been all over looking and test driving, but have found myself not really trusting the dealers/salesmen. I get that this is the nature of these things. Anyway, my question is, are there people local to the area who know cars, and can go with you to look at a car and tell you if your concerns are well-founded or not? I ask because I have today looked at 3 cars, and rejected 2 of them on the mechanical faults I perceived them to have, with no background knowledge of what the issue might be.

I know the RAC and AA will do this is you pay them lots of money, I just wondered if there is such a thing as a local inspecting engineer who does such a thing? I have bought used cars in the past and not known of quite fundamental issues until I took them for a service, by which time, it's too late!

Also, any tips would also be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If you've no background knowledge, how did you know to reject 2 cars on mechanical faults?

Good question- because on one the engine was making a clunky sound which even my ancient car doesn't make, and on the other, the container that holds the coolant seemed to be leaking, and the salesman was adamant that this was normal, but this, together with his being dismissive of it, just didn't seem right.

It may have been normal, but I don't know, hence my question.

If you've no background knowledge, how did you know to reject 2 cars on mechanical faults?

They had no windows or wheels.:hihi:

They had no windows or wheels.:hihi:

And one was on fire.

And one was on fire.

In the middle of a travellers site.:D

I prefer to buy blind, at an auction, then at least when you have faults, you have bought cheap to start with.

If you dont trust tradesmen, many things are fraught with issues, try not to get hung up on them.

I prefer to buy blind, at an auction, then at least when you have faults, you have bought cheap to start with.

If you dont trust tradesmen, many things are fraught with issues, try not to get hung up on them.

I'm not sure you have got his question El :huh:

The way I saw it, was what I do, which is call my mechanic when I'm buying a car, and he comes and checks it out. I think he's thinking on the same lines, well that's how I read it anyway :huh:

I'm not sure though because it's a bit of a mixed post, so I'll just answer assuming that! :hihi:

I know there's lots of threads on here about buying used cars, but I can't find one specifically to answer my question.

I need a new car and I'm more than happy to have a used one. I've been all over looking and test driving, but have found myself not really trusting the dealers/salesmen. I get that this is the nature of these things. Anyway, my question is, are there people local to the area who know cars, and can go with you to look at a car and tell you if your concerns are well-founded or not? I ask because I have today looked at 3 cars, and rejected 2 of them on the mechanical faults I perceived them to have, with no background knowledge of what the issue might be.

I know the RAC and AA will do this is you pay them lots of money, I just wondered if there is such a thing as a local inspecting engineer who does such a thing? I have bought used cars in the past and not known of quite fundamental issues until I took them for a service, by which time, it's too late!

Also, any tips would also be well appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

When you say a 'local inspecting engineer', you need to be more specific gamer.

Like I say, when I buy a new car, I ring my mechanic and comes and checks it out for me, and I just pay him whatever. I've known him for years, and I hope he doesn't retire!

However, he can only tell me what he can see, and if it blows up the next month, I'm not going to blame him.

This is why AA RAC are going to be expensive. They'll probably be far less thorough than my mechanic, but will be insured for certain things (like cars blowing up after a day/ or week).

However, if you are going to dealerships, it wouldn't be worth taking him as much. They are going to clean those things every day, and leaks etc. are far easier to hide. You rely more on their 'guarantees'.

Best thing to do to get rid of the salesman, is look at it yourself, as you can obviously spot things... and make them know you are paying with cash (with the new legal requirements), if they know you are paying with cash the salesmen won't be as interested in bull****ting you.

my question is, are there people local to the area who know cars, and can go with you to look at a car and tell you if your concerns are well-founded or not?

Yes, but you'll probably need to register with a forum for a particular marque. You'll find members with a long history and experience of particular models who will be able to help you.

I think it would be a good idea to have something like this, but since the AA and so on offer this service I don't see why someone else would do it.

I am slightly lucky in having a friend who is a mechanic, but when I found a car I liked, I spent some time doing research and going on the forums, looking for common faults, what things should have been replaced and at what mileage etc etc.

At least doing that you then have more knowledge to go armed with when speaking to a sales fella. I think if you know what should have been done either he will not take you for someone who doesn't know anything, or you can gauge his reaction, this might help more. More often than not you can tell when someone is genuine in knowing the history of the car.

There are (or were) the odd person doing it, I remember having one round to look at an old Mini a fair few years back.

Took 3 hours, wrote a massive report covering every stupid little detail (on an old mini).

Then when he was finally told to sod off actually agreed the car was fairly priced for the condition.

Whenever im buying a used car , i would rather buy private .This way , the current owner can advise on what the car has had done , when , where and how much ! Where as a dealer or used car salesperson will know sod all except how much they paid and how much they want to make on it . Go for the lowest mileage , full service history , the least amount of owners and do loads of research into the particular car im wanting ! As a rule i stick to japanese , as they are soooooo reliable .