How do I stop rats coming into the garden??

chocolate will kill rats and mice.but do not put it down if you have dogs,

Get a cat?

Old school dude :nod:

If you do get a cat, make sure it's not one of these. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Block off where they are coming in let whoever has them keep them.

chocolate will kill rats and mice.but do not put it down if you have dogs,

Google says - Blue Cheese - the mold in it is toxic to rats. Green Bananas - inhibits starch-digesting enzymes. Green Potato Skin and Eyes - contain solanine, a toxin. Licorice - suspected to cause neurological poisoning in a rat.

I would go to my local farm supplier, buy a couple of bags of rat poison, stick them in a tube (old drainpipe) and place them on the "rat run". When the rats are deceased, tip out the residue of the poison into a plastic bag, stick that inside another bag and put it in the dustbin. Job well done. I did it for my cousin last year, no sign of a rat since.

I believe the council now charge to come out for the rat menace problem.

Angel1.

Good advice, but the OP will have to be quick to get the good stuff because new legislation is going to restrict the sale of rat poison soon. I would burn the residue rather than put it in the dustbin

I would go to my local farm supplier, buy a couple of bags of rat poison, stick them in a tube (old drainpipe) and place them on the "rat run". When the rats are deceased, tip out the residue of the poison into a plastic bag, stick that inside another bag and put it in the dustbin. Job well done. I did it for my cousin last year, no sign of a rat since.

I believe the council now charge to come out for the rat menace problem.

Angel1.

This is what I did, got rid of them straight away and they never returned.

I started a similar thread recently about rats in our back garden, but they were coming for the bird food that I put out every day rather than it being a run through to somewhere else.

All I wanted to say is please please please don't use poison!! When a rat dies of poisoning it becomes easy pickings for another animal such as an owl, fox, badger etc and then they suffer a painful horrendous death from ingesting the poison that has killed the rat.

Please find a solution that doesn't cause suffering to any other animal.

Our neighbour refuses to look after their garden and it is now so overthrown we are getting rats visiting from it on a daily basis

The council have been out previously and charged us to set traps & poison but the things soon come back

Is there any waywe can encourage our neighbour to do something? So far their only comment has been that they quite like the company

Our neighbour refuses to look after their garden and it is now so overthrown we are getting rats visiting from it on a daily basis

The council have been out previously and charged us to set traps & poison but the things soon come back

Is there any waywe can encourage our neighbour to do something? So far their only comment has been that they quite like the company

Buy a decent air gun and have some fun ratting.

Angel1.

We live next to a wood with only a fence separating the back garden from the wood. In the back garden we've got a number of hanging bird feeders and over the last few days I've noticed a family of rats sitting under the bird feeders obviously eating the seed dropped by the birds. I would like to know if there's a way I can stop them coming into the garden without harming any wildlife?????

Invest in an air rifle and shoot em.