Ok ok so Sheffield's not dull but what makes it shine?

Its the centre of the world rock climbing universe, and by association, mountaineering.

Forgive me for interjecting, but I would have thought the centre of the world mountaineering universe was the Himalayas? And in Britain, the Scottish Highlands - in particular the Isle of Skye?

StarSparkle

i make sheffield shine, just by living there!:D

YES MAN EXCELLENT REPLIES PEOPLE see this right here is what makes sheff shine :thumbsup: i got barred from here for abit but just read mah thread and well .... big urselves up people we need a party lol :hihi:

sorry but i cant see helping people that bomb buses in london being good.

Who's helping people that bomb buses?

..in that, you ask, what is it that we truly like about our city?

Well, it's far from perfect, it has areas I'd never step foot in and the roads are worse than the streets of Beirut. (Instead of going to Blackpool Pleasure Beach [sic] and paying a fortune to go on the rides, take your car down Harcourt Road at full whack and count the number of times your head hits the ceiling of your car. An extra point for hitting any student en route, of course.)

Here are a few things I like about this city:-

A walk through the parks, from Quiet Lane in Fulwood down to Hunter's Bar. Then a walk along Ecclesall Road stopping off here and there for a beer (or glass of wine, or coffee, or some nice nosh in Yankees);

The view from Ringinglow on a clear evening. Redmires at (unsurprisingly) sunset - so peaceful;

Another walk, through Broomhall admiring the older buildings, the greenery that keeps fighting back and listening to the general hum of domesticity.

The redevolpment of the city centre (in large) - the new hotel, the wonderful winter gardens and best of all, the steel balls with cascading water;

Sheffield's pubs - especially those you can sit outside. The former Hanrahan's, the Fulwood Inn, the Sheffield, the former Psalter Tavern, Ruskin's, Ha! Ha!, etc, etc, etc.

And finally, just to show I'm not anti-student (cf, first paragraph), the life that students bring to the Crookesmoor area - when I walk to Broomhill, the sounds of (their largely annoying) music, the sound of a shower running from an upstairs window, doors being slammed, cars being parked, chat on a mobile phone, laughing and so on.

Yes, it may sound strange, but that sound of 'life' is a beautful one.