Loud Industrial Bangs at Night

I was awake in the early hours of last night and could hear loud industrial type banging some distance away. Intermittant bangs about 2 seconds apart then quiet for a while then again and so on....

Im in Grenoside and i know noise at night can carry far and wondered if anybody knows what it is?

Loud industrial bangs at an educated guess. :huh:

There's a fair bit of roadworks going on, not far away.

There's work on the A61 McDonalds roundabout, the roadworks on the A616 and A6102

There was also a thread on here the other week about road closures in and around Wharncliffe side, could be related to that?

No this was much heavier work than road works

No this was much heavier work than road works

Motorway works? :huh:

It sounded like a drop hammer.

It sounded like a drop hammer.

yes you can sometimes hear the thuds of the drop hammers at night, think its pretty cool personally :)

Yeah, it sounds like the steelworks drop hammer, i live on the Manor Top, and we can hear it clearly in the early hours when a casting is being hammered

It always sounded like it was coming from Forgemasters when I was on my way passed in the early hours of the morning a few years ago.

yes you can sometimes hear the thuds of the drop hammers at night, think its pretty cool personally :)

Me too :) Brings back memories of times long gone.

The hammers are on the River Don Works site but don't belong to Forgemasters anymore, I think the company is called Alcoa, I was on nights last night at Forgemasters and when the hammers are going it makes your tea ripple, Jurassic Park style!