Ask council to put zebra crossing on my road

Hi there,

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about asking Sheffield Council to put zebra crossing on my road, which is used by buses, and cars all the time (quite a busy rd).

I live in a residential area of S6, which doesn't have any traffic lights or zebra crossing.

Is it event possible/allowed to make such proposal to the council? :confused:

thanks

Strange that there's no crossings of any type on your very busy street, are you sure?

It does unfortunately seem that the criteria for deciding upon a crossing is the number of accidents, and the more serious the better(!?), on a particular stretch of road. I may well be wrong but it does seem that way I am sorry to say.

Wishing you all the very best in your endeavours and hopefully you are successful; before some family has to suffer heartache before the council acts.

Strange that there's no crossings of any type on your very busy street, are you sure?

Walkley Lane for example has no crossings if you're below the traffic lights all the way down to the barracks...

Your best bet is to first of all have that conversation with your local councillor. The current ones can be found here http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

Thanks, this will help :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22-04-2016 at 18:25 ----------

It does unfortunately seem that the criteria for deciding upon a crossing is the number of accidents, and the more serious the better(!?), on a particular stretch of road. I may well be wrong but it does seem that way I am sorry to say.

Wishing you all the very best in your endeavours and hopefully you are successful; before some family has to suffer heartache before the council acts.

thanks for the tip. it's a harsh reality, the one you mentioned. But great.

I don't want to put you off, but be prepared for a lengthy wait:

A friend of mine started a campaign to have a zebra crossing established when his son started Y1 at a nearby school.

The crossing was finally built just after his son graduated from university...

Thanks, this will help.

Bear in mind that there aren't any councillors at the moment as the whole council is currently up for election. Wait 2 weeks and you'll have 3 councillors to contact.

I don't want to put you off, but be prepared for a lengthy wait:

A friend of mine started a campaign to have a zebra crossing established when his son started Y1 at a nearby school.

The crossing was finally built just after his son graduated from university...

The wheels move very slowly.

It also seems to be fact that someone has to die before an application is taken seriously.