Sheffields Cultural Quarter - is it a joke?

It is odd how folks are unable to buy houses because they don't build enough, when so much of the available land is given over to student accomodation.

Sadly there is no room for decent shops in the city centre because the place has been taken over by student accomodation. The developers are building student accomodation and not houses or shops or factories.

There are 4 times the number of students in higher education than there were 4 decades ago, and those students now have self contained flats in the city centres rather than digs somewhere out in the suburbs.

All it will take is a little decline in the higher education sector or for George Soros' forecast about an imminent crash in the Chinese economy to come true and Sheffield's multiple-egg-single-basket city centre strategy might come crashing down around around all of our ears. Again.

All it will take is a little decline in the higher education sector or for George Soros' forecast about an imminent crash in the Chinese economy to come true and Sheffield's multiple-egg-single-basket city centre strategy might come crashing down around around all of our ears. Again.

How is it a strategy?

All these flats are private ventures, so if the market for students dries up, then what. A fall in prices of city centre flats?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-industrial-works-to-be-demolished-for-103-student-flats-1-7860020

Is it going to be artists studios? is it heck ... yet more student flats !

Gatecrasher is gone - iconic club stamped on by student flats...

Watch out Niche ,iconic pioneering hip hop club in its day , you are probably next ...

One of two tiny galleries...

Some small number of artists studios not normally open to the public except 2 weekends a year ...

Museum of Popular music .. now a student union ...

Maybe there is one or two obscure recording studios and a digital art gallery , thats it ... no other galleries ..

SIAC open 1-2 weekends a year to the public ...

Why not give up and call it the Sheffield Students quarter instead ??

Is it something you read about years ago? Your description doesn't fit with my experience of the area but I'm one of the people who actually engages with it.

Is it something you read about years ago? Your description doesn't fit with my experience of the area but I'm one of the people who actually engages with it.

the hallam uni owns a lot of the ciq theres a lot of building i dindt know was hallams round there and like someone says theres loads happening loads of small businesses.

How is it a strategy?

All these flats are private ventures, so if the market for students dries up, then what. A fall in prices of city centre flats?

You are, of course, correct. What I should have written was lack of city centre strategy.

Thanks, as always, for your gentle and considered response to this post.

Would the council be in a position (legally) to somehow enforce a strategy if it created one.

Could it reject a planning application because it didn't fit in with it's strategy for example?

Would the council be in a position (legally) to somehow enforce a strategy if it created one.

Could it reject a planning application because it didn't fit in with it's strategy for example?

Well this is largely how the Masterplan works. To what level of detail that goes though I'm not 100%.

The masterplan would give a developer some certainly that if they wanted to build houses, in a residential area for example they shouldn't have any problems. If they wanted to build a factory, that would be more difficult.

The council can only decide on the planning applications submitted though so there has to be some flexibility to allow for market forces.

I think there is a council strategy of encouraging more people to live in the city centre, students are often seen as the forerunner to young professionals.

Makes sense then. So if the "strategy" is to encourage a conversion from industrial to residential, then it's apparently working.

Makes sense then. So if the "strategy" is to encourage a conversion from industrial to residential, then it's apparently working.

Yes but there would be a provision for industrial areas also so one is not to the detriment of the other.

unfortunately students are one of the few industries, Sheffield has left.