First holiday away from parents

Mine was Butlins Skeggy 1964 before we went on to package holidays to Spain,great memories would like to hear yours.

First was in a tent in skegness went on my bike from sheffield in 63,next was isle of man with 2 friends in 64,stayed in guest house and met a group of 5 girls from ireland,on the sunday they all went to confession,i asked the one i was closest to not to mention my name!

There is a theme here.....

Skegness in a caravan with two friends. We had just had our 17th birthday in 1983.

Crete with another friend the following year. Foreign holidays were still expensive back then. It cost me a months wages (approx. £250) to go half board for two weeks, last week in September / first week on October 1984.

Mine was Butlins Skeggy 1964 before we went on to package holidays to Spain,great memories would like to hear yours.

My mates and I were considering the same trip in 1960 slotter47 but it never materialized. Instead I visited Switzerland with a school group that year and Bruges, in Belgium, again with school the following year.

My first really independent foray on holiday was in 1962 when I travelled with a mate by train to Riccione in Italy. The travel company who organised the holiday was called 'Hotel Plan'. Anyone remember them?

echo.

1961, a week in Blackpool with my best friend Joan, that's all the information I am prepared to give :)

Edited by rainbow2411

Blackpool 1958, with my mates, five other 18 year old lads..

I remember there being a motor bike parked on the front of our digs and someone telling us it had belonged to a young lad who was with his mates the week before,they had all run into the sea to cool off.

Now if you've ever been to Blackpool you'll know the sea only comes up to just above your knees for about half a mile out but it's so brown you cant see your feet.

Well anyway they had all ran into the sea and this lad had suddenly vanished, they had all looked for him but couldn't find him and his body was washed up later..

We didn't go into the sea at all that year......

1973 my friend won a free trip for 2 to benidorm. it was a competition run by parker pens. we took £70 each spending money and came back with £30 each, went out everynight and on trips, lemon express etc. plus brought back prezzies including the ever popular donkeys and sombrero's money seemed to go a lot further back then.

My first holiday was in 1966 - a very good year. Myself and two friends went to Bridlington at Easter. My dad drove us Friday from work and fetched us back Monday. We nearly drowned in the harbour as the boat trip we went on was hit by a huge wave and started to keel over. Fortunately it righted itself and we were safe but wet through. Later on in the year one friend and myself went on the SUT coach trip to Holland. It was just after the world cup so we had a whale of a time talking to the Dutch boys who of course had heard of the Sheffield Wednesday ground. As I said a very good year.