Royalty is it relevant now or in the future?

Objectively, even if the UK somehow turned into a republic or some other type of non-monarchic jurisdiction...you'd want to the keep the Royals just for the tourism pull factor.

If you think your Royals/toffs are 'bad', try that République over the Channel, run by 'ENArques' for the past 7 decades.

(ENArques = graduates of the ENA (National School of Administration) in France which, oddly (:twisted:) is every last Président, Ministre, Préfet, most Députés and Sénators, and other public service mandarins and heads of nationalised and semi-nationalised industries since 1945. All but the lowliest of them with State-paid gold leaf'd flats, chauffeur, maids, chef, security <etc.>: same caviar, palaces and service, just a straightforward change of tenants in the end, talk about a "republican monarchy" indeed :roll:).

Edited by L00b

Objectively, even if the UK somehow turned into a republic or some other type of non-monarchic jurisdiction...you'd want to the keep the Royals just for the tourism pull factor.

Is it them or the palaces and associated ceremonial activity?

Because we can always keep the horse guards and such and hand over the palaces to the national trust.

Is it them or the palaces and associated ceremonial activity?

Because we can always keep the horse guards and such and hand over the palaces to the national trust.

Them and the palaces and associated ceremonial activity. Tourists come to see the lot and, always, a secret hope of catching a glimpse of Lizzie ;)

Once again we have the media going over board due to a family who stole the peoples land, wealth and rights centuries ago by force and violence .

This time it is due to one of them reaching 90 years old ,no mention that they are wrapped in cotton wool from birth to grave provided with the finest medical attention, food, houses (castles palaces etc).

On top of this we get the hangers on who can be seen posing in the most exotic locations wearing the multi thousand pounds wardrobe carried by the lacky's that bow and scrape to their every whim before being made a knight or lady of the realm .

Some of them live this high life by just keeping a low profile ,.the cousins for example even down to third or fourth removed can be seen at all the horsey events lauding it over the commoners who tip their hats at the slightest oppurtunity to be recognised by their superior human beings.

Some of these third or fourth removed are quite funny when the press (gutter) get to see them in all their splendour ,having their toes sucked or flying our helicopters to a local gig .

Charles two kids :hihi: go to great lengths to convince us all that they are just one of the lads making sure that they are seen on the latest good deed tour while telling us that they are really busy doing their every day job of being in the Army or driving the local rescue helicopter ,the thing is how do they ever manage to find the time for the trips to Rugby,Football ,Cloisters , motor racing ,horse racing etc,etc.

It must cost this family millions to perform all these tasks so they must be on good wages ( Charles volunteers to pay a little tax on the millions earned by his Duchy lands ! yes volunteers yippee thats a good idea int it).

Any way are they relevant in the modern age will they still be here in a hundred years? probably will;)

excuse me whilst i cry into my G&T!! the chips around shoulders are getting bigger every year:hihi: so what!!!1 its the luck of your birth, you and me were not lucky enough to be born into the hoi paloi but so what ! bitterness breeds bitterness. its the way of the world:roll::roll::roll:

It really doesn't.

Class war is boring in both directions and in my view always damages both sides.

Like just about any topic, it depends on how it's worded & phrased. You can give your views as to whether you find the subject boring of course, but that shouldn't prevent the topic being discussed.

Questioning who has power over us, and the privileges that that power brings I think is a legitimate topic. However I don't like the kind of intrusion into intensely personal matters that some members of the Royal family have been subject to, merely out of prurience.

I think it's useful to compare how people are treated by other members of the public, based on their wealth and power. I just observe the casual disrespect people often show towards those with relatively little money (like those on the dole), compared to those who are wealthy. How one is referred to as class war, and how the other isn't.

excuse me whilst i cry into my G&T!! the chips around shoulders are getting bigger every year:hihi: so what!!!1 its the luck of your birth, you and me were not lucky enough to be born into the hoi paloi but so what ! bitterness breeds bitterness. its the way of the world:roll::roll::roll:

Hoi Polloi actually means a commoner !

So you'd rather do away with the Queen and install droves of over-paid idiot politicians in her place??

Thank god you're not running the place, what an utter nightmare that'd be.

This. In spades.

There are enough reports on how the queen/Diana etc etc sat and talked and listened to various afflicted people and appeared to show a genuine interest. The only time a politician, ANY politician will sit and listen is because they have to, and if theyre lucky they can use your hard luck story to their own advantage. They couldn't give a toss.

I'm not sure royalty give a toss really, but they appear to show an interest and not use to try and gain leverage and power - they don't need to. They've got the big houses etc, the wealth and the open ended annual leave. I'd argue it does need thinning back though.

If you were to bin them completely I'd pick some out at random - king(or queen) for 6 months. We do not need any more politicians in this country.

Another anti "Royal" here. Queeny and the old bloke in ONE castle as a figurehead, ALL the rest get a job and EARN your living. Will it ever be such, nah, the nobs have the money and the power, end of story I'm afraid.

Angel1.

This. In spades.

There are enough reports on how the queen/Diana etc etc sat and talked and listened to various afflicted people and appeared to show a genuine interest. The only time a politician, ANY politician will sit and listen is because they have to, and if theyre lucky they can use your hard luck story to their own advantage. They couldn't give a toss.

I'm not sure royalty give a toss really, but they appear to show an interest and not use to try and gain leverage and power - they don't need to. They've got the big houses etc, the wealth and the open ended annual leave. I'd argue it does need thinning back though.

If you were to bin them completely I'd pick some out at random - king(or queen) for 6 months. We do not need any more politicians in this country.

You have not met Dennis Skinner who does give a (oop's) help to all that approach him on a regular basis ,He would make a great President.

You have not met Dennis Skinner who does give a (oop's) help to all that approach him on a regular basis ,He would make a great President.
......I don't think Dennis Skinhead ever gave a <removed> about anybody except Dennis Skinhead(AKA class clown). Edited by nikki-red
masked swearing

Don't mind old Lizzie.

What isn't right is how the princes were shunted to the front of the queue to train as pilots. I'm sure that other more deserving personel were pretty ****** off at this.

When Liz and Phil croak it, turn the rest into a jolly good theme park attraction.

Actually the bits of what passes for our constitution which involve the Queen do work quite well and things would probably be worse if we changed them. While, in principle, the Queen has a wide range of powers almost none of them can be used in a way which twarts the will of Parliament.

Any sort of elected President will result in all sorts of political grandstanding between them and the PM/Parliament especially at election times.

If you really want an elected President then we need a proper constitution to go with them which deals with everything from the power of the executive, the power and limits of the judicary to interfere with the executive, the extent the legislature holds the executive to account and of course the non-electedness of our second chamber.

As always, be careful what you wish for.....

All Hail President Blair and Vice President Clegg......

Edited by andyofborg