Tel 2302536 if interested.

hazel

I'll tell my sister

Hi Gladys

Notre Dame are holding a past pupil's morning on the 25th April from10-12

hazel

Hi Hazel,

Thanks, I'll tell my mum, she was a pupil back in the '40's.

Sean

Hi Gladys

Notre Dame are holding a past pupil's morning on the 25th April from10-12

hazel

Thanks for that Hazel, shades of Sr Monica GULP!

I can just remember Sister Marie Pierre, famous for showing girls who misbehaved the writing above the front door

Notre Dame High School for Young Lades.

She interviewed me when I was 11 just before she retired.

hazel

I can just remember Sister Marie Pierre, famous for showing girls who misbehaved the writing above the front door

Notre Dame High School for Young Lades.

She interviewed me when I was 11 just before she retired.

hazel

Hi Hazel my grandaughter is a Hazel I was interviewed by Sr Monica at Cavendish St had to read something from wind in the willows or maybe it was the water babies whatever!!! she commented on my diction. Do you remember the school song. Not forgetting the Houses, Picardy,Cuvilly and Compienge don't know whether I've spelt them right and Blessed Mere Julie Billiart With hearts aglow round banners bright-----et al

Hi Gladys

in serried ranks we stand, all ready for the glorious fight against all wrong for Christs own right to rule our loved land----and in fighting we will sing.

Stirring stuff wasn't it.

The school song was introduced new when I was in the 4th or 5th year, before that I don't think we had one. I started there in 1947.

And the houses were at that time

St Joseph green house

Sacred Heart red

Our Lady blue ( I think )

Blessed Mere Julie gold.

hazel

I was at De La Salle from 58 ---63 it never scarred me mentally or physically,in fact i am proud to say that i attended.

Anyone know where records od De La Salle in the 30s can be found. Or can they?

Anybody have any memories of Dennis Hackett, who must have attended De La Salle in the 1940s? He went on to become quite a famous journalist with the Herald, Express and various magazines. He started at the Sheffield Telegraph. He was married in 1953 to Agnes Mary Collins.

1952-1957 I hated it. I was not a rebel but I averaged 4-6 strokes of the strap a week. I was forever in detention and twice a week got you strapped. Many a time the whole class was put in detention for no reason other than for talking too loud. The brothers along with normal schools used to run reform schools and others this I believe was where the disciplinary regime came from. As anyone else done the Saturday morning garden duties because of detention excess in a week. Leonard was a pussy Wilfred who became Headmaster was a Smiling Masochist. Note I didnt use the prefix brother as they didnt deserve it

Thanks for that Hazel, shades of Sr Monica GULP!

notre dame.I was a boy scholar. Do you remember the black boy who ate your money in the dining room if you left any food. I was with my sister pat kenrick. but had to leave before puberty(shame) went to St Maries after on Duchess rd..Sister Marie Piere was at N.D. She made me strap myself onthe legs for kissing girls in the cloakroom. Was it you.?? There were so many and I was so young..xx

i'm afraid you have the wrong end of the stick here.

The brothers at de la salle were not the christian brothers they were the brothers of st jean baptiste de la salle.

Christian brothers are an entirely different organisation and have had some problems with abuse, although you cannot judge thousands of men on the actions of a few.

ok>> the so called christian brothers who taught at dls were brutal disciplinarians>> anything else thats not understood????