De La Salle College

Hello each, Off topic? Only for DLS college? Soapbox? What a strange response. Writing as a friend do you think you need to look in the mirror?

I thought the topic was about about physical, emotional abuse and possible sexual grooming that had occurred at a catholic teaching establishment over a generational time scale, that's what my reading of many of the posts voluntery contributed to this thread indicates. What I wrote was in part to signal to any survivors reading this thread - letting them know that they are not alone, that this survivor is not ashamed of their being attacked by adults and it also known a strategy known as 'Identification' used to establish shared experience and aid a survivor. It is my life experience and it happened to me in a catholic teaching establishment in S.Y. and I'm prepared to stand before a judge in a Court of Law and state my case regarding my case under oath - that's not Soapboxin' mate.

As I said 'Hurt By Abuse' is a webpage for an organisation staffed by Roman Catholics, funded by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Sheffield Hallam Diocese (which covers much of the geographic area of S.Y.) and they spend most of their time being over worked in response to the demand from Roman Catholic schools in S.Y.. Visit their site, then collect funds for a very worthy group of people doing a thankless task.

KTF

Don't get it do you? Nobody cares, I went through all the stuff you are talking about. I was bullied by my peers in primary school and in the small community I lived in simply because I was born out of wedlock, which in 1945 was not that good of a thing. I was always at a disadvantage because , not only did I have no father, I was an only child with no big brothers to help me out. By the time I got to De La Salle ,I was so hardened to abuse by my peers that anything the Brothers threw at me was totally tame. At eleven years old I stopped being bullied by my own resolve, before I even reached DLS. I was never sexually abused, at all and, as I just said the worst abuse came from bullying, although I got my share of straps and canes.

People do care, please don't knock those who try to provide it.

'Hurt By Abuse' is a webpage for an organisation staffed by Roman Catholics, funded by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Sheffield Hallam Diocese Visit their site as well as providing how to access help and support via several different organisations it also carries a review of the film Spotlight. A very worthy group of people doing a thankless task - recommended.

KTF

People do care, please don't knock those who try to provide it.

'Hurt By Abuse' is a webpage for an organisation staffed by Roman Catholics, funded by the Roman Catholic Bishop of Sheffield Hallam Diocese Visit their site as well as providing how to access help and support via several different organisations it also carries a review of the film Spotlight. A very worthy group of people doing a thankless task - recommended.

KTF

Sorry. I know you mean well, but I gave up on religion during my time at De La Salle and have never regretted that decision, and it had nothing to do with anything other my own personal choice, i.e. my refusal to believe in an abstract entity.

No, your wrong you don’t know that I “mean well” as you are not telepathic also I don’t want you to think you are doing me a favour by allowing me to act in a manner I see fit. As you have pointed out we all have a life story I unconditionally shared aspects of mine, including what I had done to try and alleviate its continuing toxic effects, with others, in what I consider was a positive and sensitive manner. Whether they read or don’t read, consider it or not, its up to my peers as to what they do next. I don’t pretend or want to have responsibility for their living of their lives.

What I do care about is that you waded into me in a, firstly, unrequested response making false allegations about me and then continued in a hostile, rude and aggressive manner.

Guided by your previous comments, I have no interest in what your religious beliefs are, or how you came by them. That information may be of interest between you and your local parish priest, Buddhist Centre, evangelical church, other faith group, emotional or medical professional but not to me. I will not however attempt to harangue you into silence regarding them. Neither will I be drawn into a debate as to the existence or not of an abstract entity, just not interested.

As you have brought the circumstance of bullying and your being bullied into these postings I will recommend visiting the bullyonline.org (new and old websites) or look up The Tim Fields Foundation web pages.

'Hurt By Abuse' is a website (to which I have no ties or obligations) providing links to web addresses of where and how abused adults can access help and support via several different organisations in the UK, Europe and North America. As stated a very worthy group of people doing a thankless task.

KTF

Edited by Historyphil
typo should have read "being bullied"

No, your wrong you don’t know that I “mean well” as you are not telepathic also I don’t want you to think you are doing me a favour by allowing me to act in a manner I see fit. As you have pointed out we all have a life story I unconditionally shared aspects of mine, including what I had done to try and alleviate its continuing toxic effects, with others, in what I consider was a positive and sensitive manner. Whether they read or don’t read, consider it or not, its up to my peers as to what they do next. I don’t pretend or want to have responsibility for their living of their lives.

What I do care about is that you waded into me in a, firstly, unrequested response making false allegations about me and then continued in a hostile, rude and aggressive manner.

Guided by your previous comments, I have no interest in what your religious beliefs are, or how you came by them. That information may be of interest between you and your local parish priest, Buddhist Centre, evangelical church, other faith group, emotional or medical professional but not to me. I will not however attempt to harangue you into silence regarding them. Neither will I be drawn into a debate as to the existence or not of an abstract entity, just not interested.

As you have brought the circumstance of bullying and your being a bully into these postings I will recommend visiting the bullyonline.org (new and old websites) or look up The Tim Fields Foundation web pages.

'Hurt By Abuse' is a website (to which I have no ties or obligations) providing links to web addresses of where and how abused adults can access help and support via several different organisations in the UK, Europe and North America. As stated a very worthy group of people doing a thankless task.

KTF

Where did you get the notion that I turned into a bully? Because I stood up for myself and the bullying stopped? lol

As you have brought the circumstance of bullying and your being a bully into these postings I will recommend visiting the bullyonline.org (new and old websites) or look up The Tim Fields Foundation web pages.

KTF

Why are you having a go at everyone who comments, Torontotony does not come across as a bully! My own experience withDLS was one of the brothers picking up my brother by his ears. When I went to the school and politely explain ed what would happen to him if he ever did it again he was very amenable.

Found the 'Memories' section of my old 'ex pupils' website in the archives so will post in here. Will take a few posts coz of forum word length Limits:

COLLEGE MEMORIES

from former pupils of

De La Salle College, Sheffield

Here are some personal memories, reflections and experiences of former pupils of the College.

1923-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-76

1923-29

1930-39

1940-49

Submitted by:Michael Morgan Admission year:1947

Fond memories

My mother used to assist in serving the school meals in 1948. Does any one remember putting the milk we were supplied with on

top of the radiator tubes than ran around the class rooms? Another "remember" The static water tank that was on the east

side of the school, a student named "Lawless" walked around the top perimeter one morning and got into a bit of bother, the tank

was empty I think at the time and was being used as a cricket practice court. During the war, there was a barrage ballon station on the northern side of the football pitch, Scott road side. The ballon was raised and lowered by the Waafs. It was shot down one night and finished up on Abbeyfield road, I remember it was snowing at the time and the dogs were all peeing on it.

Fond memories

Reading the emails about the cruelty and punishments meted out by the brothers in the later years that I attended makes me

wonder if the teachers were of the same calibre that I was taught by. Sure I had many strokes of the cane for all sorts

of reasons but looking back I probably deserved them and it didn't do me any harm, in fact it probably spurned me on to

greater efforts.

Submitted by:Tony Lenton Admission year:1948

School of hard knocks?

"[snip]........ we may not remember each other but we would certainly remember the Teachers"

Well I remember one, it appeared to me that his only contribution to my education was the indiscriminate caning my (and others of

the first year standing in the dinner queue in line past the staff room door) legs got on a daily basis from September 1948 onwards.

You want to hazard a guess who?

1950-59

Submitted by:Anthony Tuttle Admission year:1950

'par for the course'

I view with interest the emphasis on pupil beating at DLS. Sadly though inexcusable in today's world it was par for the course in many church schools--confirmed by my younger brother who transfered to a Christian Brothers school. As a young DLS pupil you soon adapted to the system taking revenge on any teacher showing weakness physical or mental. You respected the strong or downright evil and in doing so prepared yourself for the big outside world. However no one has mentioned one factor which I feel contributed to the system. The DLS order also supervised "State" Borstals at that time. Brothers were transferred from them directly to DLS at Sheffield and in one case I know of took charge of "Discipline". The individual mentioned was prevented from beating one pupil in front of the whole school by the intervention of a solicitor summoned by the boy's father. That same Brother punched me in the head knocking me to the ground when I laughed after a kicked ball hit him in the back. In that case I received an apology in Bro. Wilfred's office in front of witnesses when the Brother reported his own action.

Now let us credit where it is due. I am indebted to Bro. Clement for instilling the basics of Maths that proved so valuable later in life, to Bro. Victor for making History so interesting, to Sid Bladen for his enthusiasm about architecture and last but not least to Mr.Hopkins for the fear of not learning Chemistry ( 90% succeeded in 5A ). I was certainly no saint but I suspect many DLS Brothers would also prefer to turn the clock back. All praise to the many teachers who neither jog our memories nor make interesting reading, but did their best. Maybe we should open a section for the views of DLS Brothers, retired or not to confirm what "little ********" they had to teach.

Submitted by:Paul Holden Admission year:1952

Fond memories?

I only came to DLSC for my sixth form studies, having been previously under the tender care of the De La Salle Bros at :St Joseph's Academy Blackheath. So the harsh discipline (some might prefer organised sadism) came as no great surprise. To pretend that I have fond memories of the casual brutality which I witnessed being meted out daily in the name of God would be hypocrisy. However I do have very fond memories indeed of my newly found friends at a School in, what was then to me, a stunningly exciting environment. I'd never lived in a big city until then. Life in a small town in the South was totally different. I found the experience absolutely mind-blowing. A few self-indulgent memories: the Peak District, the wonderful fish and chips, FIRST DIVISION FOOTBALL, City Hall concerts with the Halle, the unforgettably wonderful trams with the circular seats at the front and back on the top deck, 40 CINEMAS to choose from, the dance band which we formed for the occasional sixth form dances.

Submitted by:Bernard (Bunny) Parkin Admission year:1952

Three-line whip

It’s just over 5 decades since I started at DLSC in Sept 1952. Some memories are dim and vague but others remain as clear as if it were yesterday. Brother Leonard was the gaffer at that time, a very soft-spoken Irish gentleman with the gift of the gab and in his last year before retirement. He thought up a money making scheme selling bricks for the new building at 1/- a time (does anyone else remember this?). I was placed in the “C” stream being a bit on the thick side and coming from a working class family (non fee paying having passed the 11+).

The screws in the 1st year were, as I remember: Brother Robert for RI and Maths. He was notorious for his use of the strap. The palm of your hand face up, fingers pointing towards him and when the strap came down it often caught your wrist as well, leaving little splinters of leather in the skin. I still feel the pain of some of his beatings to this day. Brother Camillus for Geography. He was a rather young Irish man, another born sadist with distinctions in using the strap. He had a favourite saying when he threw the homework book at you - “Jaisus, Mary and Joseph and aaaall de Saints, what do ye call dis boy” and in later years added the phrase “ If ye don’t pass boy ye’ll fayel” (I think he must have come from Kerry). Brother Christopher for French. An expert with the ruler edgewise on across the tips of your fingers - ouch! I remember thinking - “gosh a new language, I’m really going to work at this”. However after numerous beatings, detentions and then the final straw - 6% in the year-end exam - (surely I got more than my name spelled correctly?) I just gave up trying. Mr Hallam for Chemistry. Now he was a nice chap and he could also teach. Mr Cleary (Sam) for English Lang and Lit. Ex RAF with the obligatory handlebar moustache. He was another nice guy who could teach. He used to read stories to us in class and made them really interesting. Mr Caldwell (Jim) for Physics. He was my favourite. A good teacher and an understanding man. His favourite saying as I remember was “ You horrible little man. What are you?” Jos (was it Sullivan?) for History. He was a joke - it would take him about five minutes to get the strap out of his back pocket, by which time he had forgotten what he was going to punish you for and replace it in his pocket - (another five minutes). Gerty Stockhill for Music. She was my Inspiration. I actually learned to read music for which I am eternally grateful (I now play the fiddle which gives me great pleasure). Sid Blaydon for Art. I think I must be the only pupil ever to have received the strap from him (and on that occasion I think I deserved it). I had forgotten to do my art homework and fearing a detention I scribbled two semi-circles in a rectangle, crayoned the semi-circles red and the rest in green whilst I was sitting in the front bay of the tram. I actually handed it in. Maybe I would have got away with it if I had used gold instead of red. By the way, does anyone remember the one about the art master and the music teacher? I’ll say no more. Capt. Wall for Games and PE. Well, everyone remembers him for some reason. He despised me. I have never been interested in Football or Cricket. I only liked (and still do) silly sports like Climbing, Caving, Hiking, Swimming and Karate. However I can only manage the Hiking nowadays after an accident in Karate damaged my back.

Year Two is vague. Brother Wilfred became Headmaster. The whole class suffered real trauma when a boy in our form 2c named Sayles had a burst appendix and died from peritonitis. I think it was year two when Tuttle muttered “f*** off” in the music lesson and Gerty heard it. The whole class received 6 lashes for that as no one would snitch. We got the three-line whip (literarily). In order not to strain the strapping arm, we were lined up in 3 lines in front of Bros Robert, Victor and Cyril and received 3 lashes on each hand (I drew Bro. Robert and yes, I still feel the pain).

Year Three brought changes. Brother Robert left the Order and the school for some reason. Jim Caldwell took over the maths class. That was a great improvement. Brother Camillus took over RI (oh dear). Actually Cammy was quite nice out of school, he often took a few of us out Hiking on a Sunday afternoon and he was a totally different person without his collar and bib. Jos narrowly escaped being sacked after throwing a board rubber at Tuttle, hitting him on the temple, concussing him. His parents threatened legal action against Jos but the school talked them out of it. Cracknell was expelled for not turning up on a Saturday morning after 3 detentions in the week.

Year Four. I had to drop Music in favour of Art (a big mistake for me) I also dropped Geography (another mistake, although I can’t remember what the choice was). Brother Victor took over History - Another expert with the strap. I’ll say no more about him. Mr McSweeney took over English Lang and Lit. - an Irish man who loved the drink. He could always be found in the Sportsman at lunchtime and if the lesson was in the afternoon he would stink of beer. His lessons would always be a laugh. When he got riled, Instead of actually swearing he would replace the offending adjective with the phrase “ that word”. (I often wondered what the word was he was thinking of). Another three-line whip in the schoolyard in front of the whole school, this time 6 lashes on the back-side. I never found out what it was for. Something had happened in the toilets in the new building and I was in the new building at the time. Pretty fair I suppose - wrong place at the wrong time - deserves a good beating. If anyone knows why I received that beating I would like to know before I die. I received a book on Physics as a prize on speech day for being top of the class in Chemistry - thanks to Mr Hallam.

Year Five. Brother Gregory took over Physics - another born sadist. He used a length of rubber-covered electric cable to beat you with. Monsieur Dubois took over French - it was his first year teaching in the school. “O” Levels - the year they tried an experiment, which failed miserably. The only subjects that I was good at, Physics and Chemistry were combined as one subject. I walked away with Physics-with-Chemistry and RI and not surprisingly failed everything else. I then had to educate myself at night school after leaving DLSC, achieving high standards in Maths “O” level and “A” level and a C&G; full tech. cert. in Telephony and Digital Switching (with distinction). Has anyone noticed that the lay-teachers, although using corporal punishment, didn’t resort to it very often? The Brothers on the other hand, would never let a day pass without beating someone in the class. I wonder if they got some sort of sexual gratification from beating young boys senseless. A lot of people say the beatings did them no harm. I wish I could say the same. I’ve lived my life in fear of the Religious and men of authority. I have only been to church for weddings and funerals since I left school. I grew up shy and introverted, hardly daring to speak to females. I met my first girlfriend when I was 28 year old and I married her. We had 2 children who have never been baptised (I couldn’t put them through what I went through). My first wife died of cancer in 1990 after we had been happily married for 20 years. I married again, taking on a stepson, - still a good happy marriage after 11 years. I have never beaten any of my children and they have all grown up decent law-abiding folk. My daughter is a PE teacher in Redhill Surrey, my son is an accountant with Corus in Rotherham and my stepson is working as a Carpenter in Chesterfield.

Submitted by:Tony Clappison Admission year:1956

Found the 'Memories' section of my old 'ex pupils' website in the archives so will post in here. Will take a few posts coz of forum word length Limits:

COLLEGE MEMORIES

from former pupils of

De La Salle College, Sheffield

Here are some personal memories, reflections and experiences of former pupils of the College.

1923-29 | 1930-39 | 1940-49 | 1950-59 | 1960-69 | 1970-76

1923-29

1930-39

1940-49

Fond memories

My mother used to assist in serving the school meals in 1948. Does any one remember putting the milk we were supplied with on

top of the radiator tubes than ran around the class rooms? Another "remember" The static water tank that was on the east

side of the school, a student named "Lawless" walked around the top perimeter one morning and got into a bit of bother, the tank

was empty I think at the time and was being used as a cricket practice court. During the war, there was a barrage ballon station on the northern side of the football pitch, Scott road side. The ballon was raised and lowered by the Waafs. It was shot down one night and finished up on Abbeyfield road, I remember it was snowing at the time and the dogs were all peeing on it.

Fond memories

Reading the emails about the cruelty and punishments meted out by the brothers in the later years that I attended makes me

wonder if the teachers were of the same calibre that I was taught by. Sure I had many strokes of the cane for all sorts

of reasons but looking back I probably deserved them and it didn't do me any harm, in fact it probably spurned me on to

greater efforts.

Submitted by:Tony Lenton Admission year:1948

School of hard knocks?

"[snip]........ we may not remember each other but we would certainly remember the Teachers"

Well I remember one, it appeared to me that his only contribution to my education was the indiscriminate caning my (and others of

the first year standing in the dinner queue in line past the staff room door) legs got on a daily basis from September 1948 onwards.

You want to hazard a guess who?

1950-59

Submitted by:Anthony Tuttle Admission year:1950

'par for the course'

I view with interest the emphasis on pupil beating at DLS. Sadly though inexcusable in today's world it was par for the course in many church schools--confirmed by my younger brother who transfered to a Christian Brothers school. As a young DLS pupil you soon adapted to the system taking revenge on any teacher showing weakness physical or mental. You respected the strong or downright evil and in doing so prepared yourself for the big outside world. However no one has mentioned one factor which I feel contributed to the system. The DLS order also supervised "State" Borstals at that time. Brothers were transferred from them directly to DLS at Sheffield and in one case I know of took charge of "Discipline". The individual mentioned was prevented from beating one pupil in front of the whole school by the intervention of a solicitor summoned by the boy's father. That same Brother punched me in the head knocking me to the ground when I laughed after a kicked ball hit him in the back. In that case I received an apology in Bro. Wilfred's office in front of witnesses when the Brother reported his own action.

Now let us credit where it is due. I am indebted to Bro. Clement for instilling the basics of Maths that proved so valuable later in life, to Bro. Victor for making History so interesting, to Sid Bladen for his enthusiasm about architecture and last but not least to Mr.Hopkins for the fear of not learning Chemistry ( 90% succeeded in 5A ). I was certainly no saint but I suspect many DLS Brothers would also prefer to turn the clock back. All praise to the many teachers who neither jog our memories nor make interesting reading, but did their best. Maybe we should open a section for the views of DLS Brothers, retired or not to confirm what "little ********" they had to teach.

Submitted by:Paul Holden Admission year:1952

Fond memories?

I only came to DLSC for my sixth form studies, having been previously under the tender care of the De La Salle Bros at :St Joseph's Academy Blackheath. So the harsh discipline (some might prefer organised sadism) came as no great surprise. To pretend that I have fond memories of the casual brutality which I witnessed being meted out daily in the name of God would be hypocrisy. However I do have very fond memories indeed of my newly found friends at a School in, what was then to me, a stunningly exciting environment. I'd never lived in a big city until then. Life in a small town in the South was totally different. I found the experience absolutely mind-blowing. A few self-indulgent memories: the Peak District, the wonderful fish and chips, FIRST DIVISION FOOTBALL, City Hall concerts with the Halle, the unforgettably wonderful trams with the circular seats at the front and back on the top deck, 40 CINEMAS to choose from, the dance band which we formed for the occasional sixth form dances.

Submitted by:Bernard (Bunny) Parkin Admission year:1952

Three-line whip

It’s just over 5 decades since I started at DLSC in Sept 1952. Some memories are dim and vague but others remain as clear as if it were yesterday. Brother Leonard was the gaffer at that time, a very soft-spoken Irish gentleman with the gift of the gab and in his last year before retirement. He thought up a money making scheme selling bricks for the new building at 1/- a time (does anyone else remember this?). I was placed in the “C” stream being a bit on the thick side and coming from a working class family (non fee paying having passed the 11+).

The screws in the 1st year were, as I remember: Brother Robert for RI and Maths. He was notorious for his use of the strap. The palm of your hand face up, fingers pointing towards him and when the strap came down it often caught your wrist as well, leaving little splinters of leather in the skin. I still feel the pain of some of his beatings to this day. Brother Camillus for Geography. He was a rather young Irish man, another born sadist with distinctions in using the strap. He had a favourite saying when he threw the homework book at you - “Jaisus, Mary and Joseph and aaaall de Saints, what do ye call dis boy” and in later years added the phrase “ If ye don’t pass boy ye’ll fayel” (I think he must have come from Kerry). Brother Christopher for French. An expert with the ruler edgewise on across the tips of your fingers - ouch! I remember thinking - “gosh a new language, I’m really going to work at this”. However after numerous beatings, detentions and then the final straw - 6% in the year-end exam - (surely I got more than my name spelled correctly?) I just gave up trying. Mr Hallam for Chemistry. Now he was a nice chap and he could also teach. Mr Cleary (Sam) for English Lang and Lit. Ex RAF with the obligatory handlebar moustache. He was another nice guy who could teach. He used to read stories to us in class and made them really interesting. Mr Caldwell (Jim) for Physics. He was my favourite. A good teacher and an understanding man. His favourite saying as I remember was “ You horrible little man. What are you?” Jos (was it Sullivan?) for History. He was a joke - it would take him about five minutes to get the strap out of his back pocket, by which time he had forgotten what he was going to punish you for and replace it in his pocket - (another five minutes). Gerty Stockhill for Music. She was my Inspiration. I actually learned to read music for which I am eternally grateful (I now play the fiddle which gives me great pleasure). Sid Blaydon for Art. I think I must be the only pupil ever to have received the strap from him (and on that occasion I think I deserved it). I had forgotten to do my art homework and fearing a detention I scribbled two semi-circles in a rectangle, crayoned the semi-circles red and the rest in green whilst I was sitting in the front bay of the tram. I actually handed it in. Maybe I would have got away with it if I had used gold instead of red. By the way, does anyone remember the one about the art master and the music teacher? I’ll say no more. Capt. Wall for Games and PE. Well, everyone remembers him for some reason. He despised me. I have never been interested in Football or Cricket. I only liked (and still do) silly sports like Climbing, Caving, Hiking, Swimming and Karate. However I can only manage the Hiking nowadays after an accident in Karate damaged my back.

Year Two is vague. Brother Wilfred became Headmaster. The whole class suffered real trauma when a boy in our form 2c named Sayles had a burst appendix and died from peritonitis. I think it was year two when Tuttle muttered “f*** off” in the music lesson and Gerty heard it. The whole class received 6 lashes for that as no one would snitch. We got the three-line whip (literarily). In order not to strain the strapping arm, we were lined up in 3 lines in front of Bros Robert, Victor and Cyril and received 3 lashes on each hand (I drew Bro. Robert and yes, I still feel the pain).

Year Three brought changes. Brother Robert left the Order and the school for some reason. Jim Caldwell took over the maths class. That was a great improvement. Brother Camillus took over RI (oh dear). Actually Cammy was quite nice out of school, he often took a few of us out Hiking on a Sunday afternoon and he was a totally different person without his collar and bib. Jos narrowly escaped being sacked after throwing a board rubber at Tuttle, hitting him on the temple, concussing him. His parents threatened legal action against Jos but the school talked them out of it. Cracknell was expelled for not turning up on a Saturday morning after 3 detentions in the week.

Year Four. I had to drop Music in favour of Art (a big mistake for me) I also dropped Geography (another mistake, although I can’t remember what the choice was). Brother Victor took over History - Another expert with the strap. I’ll say no more about him. Mr McSweeney took over English Lang and Lit. - an Irish man who loved the drink. He could always be found in the Sportsman at lunchtime and if the lesson was in the afternoon he would stink of beer. His lessons would always be a laugh. When he got riled, Instead of actually swearing he would replace the offending adjective with the phrase “ that word”. (I often wondered what the word was he was thinking of). Another three-line whip in the schoolyard in front of the whole school, this time 6 lashes on the back-side. I never found out what it was for. Something had happened in the toilets in the new building and I was in the new building at the time. Pretty fair I suppose - wrong place at the wrong time - deserves a good beating. If anyone knows why I received that beating I would like to know before I die. I received a book on Physics as a prize on speech day for being top of the class in Chemistry - thanks to Mr Hallam.

Year Five. Brother Gregory took over Physics - another born sadist. He used a length of rubber-covered electric cable to beat you with. Monsieur Dubois took over French - it was his first year teaching in the school. “O” Levels - the year they tried an experiment, which failed miserably. The only subjects that I was good at, Physics and Chemistry were combined as one subject. I walked away with Physics-with-Chemistry and RI and not surprisingly failed everything else. I then had to educate myself at night school after leaving DLSC, achieving high standards in Maths “O” level and “A” level and a C&G; full tech. cert. in Telephony and Digital Switching (with distinction). Has anyone noticed that the lay-teachers, although using corporal punishment, didn’t resort to it very often? The Brothers on the other hand, would never let a day pass without beating someone in the class. I wonder if they got some sort of sexual gratification from beating young boys senseless. A lot of people say the beatings did them no harm. I wish I could say the same. I’ve lived my life in fear of the Religious and men of authority. I have only been to church for weddings and funerals since I left school. I grew up shy and introverted, hardly daring to speak to females. I met my first girlfriend when I was 28 year old and I married her. We had 2 children who have never been baptised (I couldn’t put them through what I went through). My first wife died of cancer in 1990 after we had been happily married for 20 years. I married again, taking on a stepson, - still a good happy marriage after 11 years. I have never beaten any of my children and they have all grown up decent law-abiding folk. My daughter is a PE teacher in Redhill Surrey, my son is an accountant with Corus in Rotherham and my stepson is working as a Carpenter in Chesterfield.

Submitted by:Tony Clappison Admission year:1956

Very interesting, did you also manage to retrieve the photos section as well, by any chance?

DE LA SALLE COLLEGE. A light-hearted view.

Although a proper Sheffielder, I refused to join in with the masses (of proper Sheffielders) who demanded their city should be a Ta-g free zone. I was brought (dragged) up to always be kind and friendly towards outsiders who chose to come to Sheffield, and to England generally. I also had the common sense, plane ordinary good judg(e)ment, to know that we are a city, and a nation of Christians with love and money to share.

Having read through this thread, I am feeling quite flabbergasted by persons complaining about their time at DE LA SALLE COLLEGE. These complainants should count themselves lucky that their ancestors were accepted into this once fair city, because they wouldn’t have gotten a good education otherwise. I received a real English education in secondary modern schools, and received many thrashings, some justified, some not. Am I complaining? NO!

Let’s take a look at your place of learning:

Build in a run-down part of Sheffield in 1923. A new building for 180 pupils was opened in 1925. In 1930 the buildings were further enlarged to contain an Assembly hall, gymnasium, 11 classrooms, art room and chemistry and physics laboratories. The number of boys in attendance became 340.

More:

DE LA SALLE COLLEGE, was a direct grant Grammar school for young Catholic boys only. The school was conducted by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, recognised by the Ministry of Education. The staff were highly qualified University graduates who prepared you for matriculation, higher school certificate and University scholarship examinations.

You had 2 hard tennis courts and a large spots field attached to the College as well. Unfortunately, during the ‘40s when Rev. Brother Peter, B.A. was headmaster, you had to start paying fees…£15.15s per annum. These fees only went part-way to paying toward the wages of the proper Sheffielders who had built the school with their toil, sweat and taxes. You don’t know you’re born.

If this post survives, which I doubt (some humourless mardy-bum will complain), I am expecting a good caning by other Forumers. For self-preservation, I’ve slipped an exercise book down inside the back of my trousers. Amen.

The Zakes. A.K.A. Ollie.

DE LA SALLE COLLEGE. A light-hearted view.

Although a proper Sheffielder, I refused to join in with the masses (of proper Sheffielders) who demanded their city should be a Ta-g free zone. I was brought (dragged) up to always be kind and friendly towards outsiders who chose to come to Sheffield, and to England generally. I also had the common sense, plane ordinary good judg(e)ment, to know that we are a city, and a nation of Christians with love and money to share.

Having read through this thread, I am feeling quite flabbergasted by persons complaining about their time at DE LA SALLE COLLEGE. These complainants should count themselves lucky that their ancestors were accepted into this once fair city, because they wouldn’t have gotten a good education otherwise. I received a real English education in secondary modern schools, and received many thrashings, some justified, some not. Am I complaining? NO!

Let’s take a look at your place of learning:

Build in a run-down part of Sheffield in 1923. A new building for 180 pupils was opened in 1925. In 1930 the buildings were further enlarged to contain an Assembly hall, gymnasium, 11 classrooms, art room and chemistry and physics laboratories. The number of boys in attendance became 340.

More:

DE LA SALLE COLLEGE, was a direct grant Grammar school for young Catholic boys only. The school was conducted by the Brothers of the Christian Schools, recognised by the Ministry of Education. The staff were highly qualified University graduates who prepared you for matriculation, higher school certificate and University scholarship examinations.

You had 2 hard tennis courts and a large spots field attached to the College as well. Unfortunately, during the ‘40s when Rev. Brother Peter, B.A. was headmaster, you had to start paying fees…£15.15s per annum. These fees only went part-way to paying toward the wages of the proper Sheffielders who had built the school with their toil, sweat and taxes. You don’t know you’re born.

If this post survives, which I doubt (some humourless mardy-bum will complain), I am expecting a good caning by other Forumers. For self-preservation, I’ve slipped an exercise book down inside the back of my trousers. Amen.

The Zakes. A.K.A. Ollie.

You forgot, or didn't know about the Army cadets and the bricked fortress called the Tank, where the cadets did drills with Captain Wall, the PT teacher/sadist lol 50's and60's timeframe.

Edited by Ontarian1981

De La Salle College

Ref. post 262 Ontarian

Thanks Ontarian, I didn’t know about the Tank, or of Captain Wall. I’ll remember it though. LOL.

I do know that fees at De La Salle were £15 15s in 1945, then rose to £28 in 1948. In 1945 the school had been a Secondary.

De La Salle College

Ref. post 262 Ontarian

Thanks Ontarian, I didn’t know about the Tank, or of Captain Wall. I’ll remember it though. LOL.

I do know that fees at De La Salle were £15 15s in 1945, then rose to £28 in 1948. In 1945 the school had been a Secondary.

There were no fees when I started in 1956, or I would never have been able to go there, we were pretty poor in those days, pink lint most the time, in fact.