De La Salle College

I was there in 1950/51 when Brother Leonard was headmaster.Brother Wilfred (the smiling assassin - he always smiled as he wielded the strap) was in charge of discipline, and there was Brother Camulus who was mad as a hatter and ended up in the nuthouse. At that time there were 'civilian' teachers as well: 'Sam' Cleary who taught English very well, Mr. Cordwell - maths I think- and Sid Blaydon for art. Anyone who remembers these will be sure to remember 'Jos', J. O'Sullivan who was easy to wind up, so we did almost every lesson. There was just one female teacher who was good and very popular, Miss.... the name escapes me but I did hear that she died a while back after many years service.

We had to wear a t-shirt, shorts, pumps and nothing else for football, and once it was snowing so hard that the game was abandoned and we were made to run round the pitch to make up the time. Another time when 'games' was cancelled we were all issued with a pair of scissors each and made to cut the grass! The strap was a lot worse than the cane, and it all makes you wonder what today's cotton wool kids would make of it today. Happiest days of your life? Who knows.

Sorry! There aren't many things I do twice these days but I duplicated this.:huh:

I went there in the late sixties and what a miserable hole it was. Brother Serenus was a complete sadist. I remember him getting a new "toy" - a piece of broom handle about a foot long which he used freely and without warning to punish boys for perceived misdemeanours. The broom handles reign of terror was mercifully short, only lasting a week or two before disappearing as suddenly as it arrived.

My parents never tired of telling me how lucky I was to be there, but I was never so happy as I was when I left to go to sixth form elsewhere.

Sheffco who started this thread died in January and carried his hatred of De La Salle to his grave, also the scars.

He must have attended there around 52- 57 and being at the poorer end of society, got there on intelligence alone.

It seems this was not enough only the boys who's parents had money survived without ill treatment and the rest were, as John said, battered for no good reason.

Quite a contrast to Notre Dame who I have good memories of.

hazel

It seems this was not enough only the boys who's parents had money survived without ill treatment and the rest were, as John said, battered for no good reason.

hazel

True. If you'd arrived via the money route, it seemed possible to get away with anything, or if your parents were in the Catenians, which amounts to the same thing I guess.

I think I attended De La Salle later than most people posting to this thread (early- to mid-70s). I'm familiar with Valleyhill's website and contributed to it while it still existed.

I wouldn't gainsay anyone else's experience, either from my time at the school or from any earlier period -- I'm sure that everyone faithfully reports exactly what they found. I can only say from *my own* recollection that, for the most part, I found De La Salle a positive experience. I don't believe that's 'looking through rose tinted spectacles' as I can remember the the less pleasant episodes with as much clarity as the pleasant ones. My own background was working class, but I experienced no prejudice on that score. I didn't find a culture of sadistic behaviour in the staff, though the practice of corporal punishment persisted. In the main I found this to be implemented without enthusiasm (but can remember exceptions to that generality).

I'm truly very sorry to read that others found cruelty a defining characteristic of the establishment. There is no excuse for abuse of the young. I can only say that I'm relieved I didn't find the same situation in those later years when I attended.

Without labouring the point I left in 1971 and basically blocked the whole experience from mind. I say blocked more like tried to repress the thoughts from affecting my life too much. I tried to forget about the whole thing but I've met several ex pupils along the way and I'm astonished that their memories and experiences reflect my own. I'm not sure I've ever get over it but its reassuring to know that I'm not alone. Don't get the idea that I'm some sort of bitter and twisted navel gazing neurotic (hope not anyway) because I've just retired after 37 years in an extremely demanding profession, never done "sick" or avoided difficult situations. I've a great family and looking forward to spending time with my beautiful grand children and a second home in the south of France.

I took up martial arts in 1973 possibly as a sort of psychological defence mechanism in order to improve my feelings of self worth and well being and I belive its the lifelong commitment to this that has shaped my life for the better.

To hell with De La Salle

I attended between 1958-1963,the strap, the cane, and slipper from the P.E teacher were things I remember. I remember that all the teachers who were not Brothers wore their gowns when they were teaching. I remember Mr Macsweeney,the English teacher who put me off Shakespeare for life.

I'm not picking a fight, people: I guess I was lucky.

However, I did witness student-on-student viciousness (rather than teacher-on-student viciousness) and that certainly made me angry.

I keep up with a few others of my vintage and I canvassed some opinions. Like me, they have (on balance) favourable recollections.

My English teachers were Finnegan, Cleary, McKay, Althorpe and Boulding. 80% of them were good teachers and reasonable men. Of that 80% Boulding was not only an excellent teacher but a thoroughly decent human being and, to some, an inspiration. He deserves -- and people like him deserve -- due credit.

Anyhow, it's a long time ago and I don't live in or for the past. We live in the present and hopefully we've all been able to make the most of it.

Kind regards to all.

I attended between 1956 and 63. I have varying memories. Yes - some teachers were easy to wind up.

For others, nothing was too much trouble - I remember Alphonsus helping boys pass maths at O level because they needed to it get to university. Those who struggled - he did a great deal to help. And the late Miss Eakin in French - I think she meant and did very well.

Yes - some were flawed characters - and I will not name them. One of them victimised my younger brother (psychologically) and I had words with the teacher after I left the school. Others I think overdid the discipline. One or two (as is sometimes the case with teachers) were inadequate personalities.

The philosophy of teaching - and general approach to religion - were changing. And their approach was becoming less relevant. Like many, I left organised religion and my children and my grandchildren are not religious at all.

Perhaps we all have to exorcise our ghosts.

Attended this hell-hole from 1953-1957, the worst years of my life. The lay teachers weren't so bad but the "religious" brothers were sadists!

Pupils intending to be Brothers, Priests, Doctors, etc. were treated OK, the rest of us............

I managed to get my dad to release me in the final year after which the grinning b.....d Wilf implied I had been expelled.

I have no religion now.