De La Salle College

@jmccm You stated in your post "Indeed, it is sad that many people have made unfounded allegations against the deceased Brothers who are now unable to defend their integrity and good name."

That statement was saying we are not telling the truth about what happened. The man who started this thread can't defend himself either and I happen to know he suffered in the same way as I did. That is the reason I said "how dare you". You are not in a position to make a statement about allegations being unfounded, however I do appreciate that you did say you can't speak about the 50's and 60's.

On occasions we did deserve some of the punishment we recieved but on others... To this day I still don't know why I recieved 6 strokes of that vicious strap when I was in the final year DLSC. Names were read out in the playground in front of the gym, of boys who were in the new building that lunchtime and we all recieved a public flogging in the playground. No reason was ever given for that. By the way we were allowed to be in there at that time. Maybe you call that fair for someone being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I certainly don't. Things like that happened often during my sentence there, to boys in the lower stream, but they didn't happen to boys in the A and B streams quite so much. Of course the C stream were all boys who passed the 11 plus and came from working class families.

I am saying no more on this subject the memories are too painful to keep resurecting.

Please dont bite Bern, the guy is on a wind up.

I started in 1960 and hated every minute, i couldn't wait for it to end,the teachers were obnoxious bullies that loved nothing better than getting out the strap and thrashing us for the most trivial of reasons.

My only regret in life is that i wasn't the chap that drove the bulldozer that razed it to the ground.

Perhaps someone should start a society for disgruntled old boys,i'll bet they would outweigh easily the current old boys association.

My experience in life is that it does not strengthen your argument to be rude. Many people have expressed their opinion and exercised their right to free speech on this site. I simply did likewise in a thoughtful way, pointing out that my experience was not at all consistent with some of the posts. It is therefore totally uncalled for to say, "How dare you...."

I made it abundantly clear that, " I could not speak for what took place in the 50's and 60's...." Despite that, it would appear that this writer would prefer to silence my opinion.

Some serious and slanderous words have been used to describe some of the Brothers, including Br. Wilfred and Br. Serenus. Their characters have been attacked with words like "assassin" "un-Christian" etc. I simply NEVER experienced or witnessed anything remotely similar to some of the allegations made. Quite the contrary.

During my five years at the school (1971-76) there were 4 active Brothers: Br. Wilfred (HeadMaster) Br. Serenus (University Advisor) Br. Maximus (History) and Br. Anthony (Maths). They were ALL excellent teachers who were dedicated and always available (even at weekends) to teach the students at De La Salle.

I vividly remember Br. Wilfred spending a great deal of time with me to advise me on my "A" Levels and future career. Br. Serenus was simply the best Advisor around. He knew the Colleges inside and out and was academically brilliant. Br. Maximus was one of the most humble, meek and kind men I have ever met. Br. Anthony (spike) never taught me but he often played football with us and was always good company. He also had a very good reputation as a Maths teacher. In short, they all gave up their lives with significant sacrifice to serve---and this simply cannot be dismissed because as one writer stated, "they could not get a girlfriend."

During a 5 year period at the school, I received the strap twice from Br. Wilfred. On both occasions, it was deserved and was in no way a frivolous punishment.

My experience simply does not in any way support the allegations made---again I cannot comment on the 50's and 60's. All I can say is that when I entered the school in 1971, it had a SUPERB reputation. This seems somewhat strange in view of the alleged cruelty and sadism etc. Personally, it is exceedingly difficult to reconcile some of the allegations with the reality I experienced, which was very positive and given the school's undoubted reputation and academic results. Of course, it is fashionable nowadays to "Catholic-bash." I sincerely hope that does not apply in this case.

I agree with most of your sentiments although my mothers cousin was severely dealt with by Brother Victor for reading the Titbits and ended up being off loaded to New Mills Grammar. I think it was acknowledged that in the late 60's early 70's De La Salle academically was the premier school in Sheffield with King Edward V11 probably in 2nd place

As for not being able to get a girl I believe Brother Peter left the cloth for one he was actually my favourite of the brothers but Brother Anthony was also easy to get along with ( perhaps because these were youndger and more in touch)I was not taught by Brothers Serenus or Maximus so cannot comment however I always found Brother Wilfred to be hard but fair mindedi

Edited by Veritas

First of all, I am very sorry for anyone who did not have a good experience. Unfortunately, every school has disgruntled alumni for one reason or another.

The comments on this site are predominantly from those who wish to vent. I merely thought it was only fair and proper to express a contrary view. There are usually two sides to a situation.

Nevertheless, I do not think that I would have stated my opinion had it not been for the vitriolic and slanderous comments made about Br. Wilfred and Br. Serenus. As a previous writer stated, Br. Wilfred was tough (and had a wry sense of humour) but in my experience, he definitely was not unfair. Similarly, accusations against Br. Serenus simply confound me. He always seemed very kind and affable. I NEVER heard of him using corporal punishment with anyone!

One writer states that the person who started this thread is no longer here to defend himself. Again, I am very sorry that he evidently felt the way he did. However, he did have an opportunity to express his opinion. Conversely, the Brothers have had NO opportunity to defend themselves.

Once again, nearly every young male in Sheffield wanted to go to either King Edwards or De la Salle. This FACT does not sit well and appears to contradict numerous opinions on this site.

Finally, I wish to comment on the numerous comments about "working class" "poor" and other social/economic references. In my experience, that was one of the great things about De La Salle. No matter what background you came from, if you were willing to work hard you were able to succeed and climb the social ladder. I left Sheffield to go to University and have never lived there since. As an "outsider" I think that all too often, people from Sheffield are too obsessed with class distinctions. With respect, education, hard work and initiative is the answer, not dwelling on social backgrounds. In my humble opinion, De La Salle gave everyone an opportunity to rise above these distinctions!

I was a De la Salle pupil for three years 1972 - 75. I attended after taking the 13+ rom St Peter's. Parson Cross born and brought up. I enjoyed my years at DLS. The teachers were excellent, helped me to earn good qualifications, and treated all the pupils at my time with respect. Yes, some were strapped but not one ever complained of brutality or excessive zeal on behalf of the strapper. I accept that many ex-pupils had an horrendous time there, but spaking on behalf of many of my contemparies, De La Salle was simply the best school in Sheffield at the time.

I attended 1965 until A' levels

In my view this was 2 schools, pre & post Victor

The early, "Victor" years were brual & strict but generated some results

The later, what was his name - "Wilfrid?" years were the total opposite, gone were the short back & sides, the short trousers to 3rd year & the garters which cut off the curculation to the lower leg. long hair & schiving were the order of the day, thank goodness for the Buccaneer & Chapel Walk

Being bused in from Wath was an experience, it provided time for revision & there was always the hope the bus wouldn't make it due to mechanical failure or the weather. I recall arriving late one snowy morning, we alighted the bus and trudged up to the school to find it had been closed, by then the bus had gone and we had the long (pre mobile phone) wait for Sid's driver to return to the Rawmarsh base to then be instructed to go back for the waifs & strays. Similar memories of bouncing up & down at the back of the games bus unable to get traction on the Beaucheaf lane

All in all a pretty miserable time, bullying, snobery & loneliness are the main recollections

Don't believe it equipped me well for what was to come & worked hard to ensure my kids have a better experience

A few years ago I saw a T shirt "I survived catholic grammar school" - says it all!

How interesting! In a relatively short period of time DLSC changed from hell on earth to heaven on earth. Takes a lot of prayers to make a miracle, and a large pinch of salt ; "every young male wanted to go there " - in a pig's eye.

Quite correct, it changed significantly & ultimately merged & lost its distinct identity.

Like many situations, a change at the top can cause big ripples.

As to hell/heaven on earth - overstating it a bit?

Wouldn't call it a miracle, more a sad decline.

"every young male ... " - except a high proportion of those who went there?

Cannot work out if "in a pig's eye" is agreement or insult, I'll blame my education

Fromwath : 'Sam' Cleary would have known; just a saying like "pigs might fly" or "you can't educate pork", etc. etc. True about 'a high proportion of those who went there', I just find it hard to believe that could change so drastically, but then again I wasn't there for the good bit. Good luck!

Indeed, it is sad that many people have made unfounded allegations against the deceased Brothers who are now unable to defend their integrity and good name. These men were strict because they realized that discipline is vital to a good education, but they were not unfair. Many purported ex-students have made allegations of injustice. In my humble opinion, the only injustice relates to the unfair allegations now being made. This is very sad. My memories of De La Salle and those of my friends are all very good and positive!

I also take exception to some of your remarks. If you weren't there at that time how would you know ? I can tell you there are far worse allegations which could be made that haven't been made on here and I don't intend to start now, I'll leave that to your imagination.

This topic is a fascinating find for me and a great insight into De La Salle as someone who didn't go there. I was brought up on Low Edges estate from 1954 and can well remember as kids we would often wander down Beauchief to play or go fishing at the abbey ponds. I well remember being told by other kids not to go to the De La Salle pond as the "rich kids" there would "beat you up and throw you in the pond" lol , however I did one day go with a friend and was stood by the pond looking at the fish when half a dozen or so much older boys appeared a few hundred yards away and started shouting and running towards us , I can tell you we legged it pretty quick. I eventually passed my 11+ and went to Rowlinson where discipline was pretty strict but nothing like what I see described here. I just wonder what you who were at De La Salle were told (if anything) about "us lot" from the council estate because as a kid it seemed a world away from us. I am now 58 , have run several businesses of my own and semi-retired looking after my wife but still have really good memories of growing up around that area.

Hi Paulus.

I came from a working class council estate background, my father was a coal miner. There were a lot of children from well to do backgrounds who attended the school and I'd presume that they felt more comfortable with the dominant middle class ethos than I was.

I left in 1970 and have nothing but bad memories of the place. It's only in recent years that I've started to reflect on the whole experience, I blocked it out for 40 years. This thread is quite cathartic in many respects.

Remember the school trip to Italy.Was one of the best experiences of my life.Spike and Benjy Wall drove the school coach all around Europe