De La Salle College

Pipsmum, is your uncle the James Linton  who went to St Catherine's primary school? If so I remember him very well!!!

On 09/09/2020 at 20:30, Veritas said:

Thanks I have found myself on the 1972  section D 

Quite liked Brother Pete , used to drive a Sports car if rumours were true he left the cloth and drove into the sunset with a blond.   He was replaced by Mr Lalley 

I'm also on section D 1972- on the back row, next to the tallest lad there with glasses - I'm on his right looking at the picture, with the pudding basin haircut! I was in the Lower 6th at the time. What class were you in in 1972 Veritas?

On 18/02/2016 at 15:09, Norrie said:

Hello ValleyHill,

Spotted the De La Salle posts. I was never a DLS scholar but was friendly with one whose always stayed in my mind.

In 1949 -50, we had a local football team which played in Concord Park, Shiregreen. Our goal keeper was a De La Salle scholar of unusual ability; his agility and strength was exceptional. He was more hirsuit than the rest of us and of stocky strong build. He was Peter Sievewright - his deep thick eyebrows actually met in the middle. A lively likeable lad who was never down-hearted. His goal keeping was spectacular and never afraid to get down among the boots.

We nicknamed him Tiger, after Alexei 'Tiger' Khomich, the acrobatic Moscow Dynamo goalie who toured with the Russian club in the 40's and 50's.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that Peter joined the Royal Navy. Someone must remember him somewhere, he was a lively unforgettable character. In one match in Longley Park, I was left back (whatever happened to them) and was defending the goal line because Peter had gone out to halt an attack.

As I was heading a shot at goal off the goal -line, Peter re-appeared and performed a diving punch which hit me in the side of the head instead of the ball. He was generous in his sympathy but couldn't resist stifled laughter as I was being doused with the magic sponge to restore my concsiousness. I actually apologised to him for getting in his way. He then winded me by giving me a friendly but hearty slap in the back as a thank you. I never shook hands with him in consideration of my fingers. A very likable young man so long as one kept him at arms length, his expressions of friendliness could be quite debilitating. I liked him a lot. He lived on or near Bellhouse Road Shiregreen just above St James and St Christophers .

Peter Sievewright is/was my father, he did join the Royal Navy, and the spent time in the merchant navy.

Anybody remember 'Captain ' Wall a PE teacher with an emphasis on appearance and hygiene. to the extent that he would slipper you for having slightly off-white pumps and would personally inspect that we were not wearing underwear so as not to get the pants sweaty during exercise?

And the VW Beetle club. Mr. Palfreyman, Mr. Grant (who used to give me lifts to school) and others.....

The members of staff who I can remember (I was there from 1970 to 1977, the last academic year that went all the way through DLS).

Apologies for anyone where I have the wrong first name or spelling !!

Starting with the people that taught me in my first year (1N)
Hugh Finnegan (Music & English)
Peter Auchterlounie (Maths)
Ted Varney (Art)
Sean Crean (sp?) (Biology)
Brother Anthony (Physics)
Brother Peter (French)
Jean Skidmore (Geography)
Chris Grant (Chemistry)
Captain Wall (PE)
Brother Maximus (History?)

In later years, including some that never taught me directly:
Steve Hutchinson (Maths)
? Valardi (Biology)
Sam Cleary (English)
Fr Hough (History ?)
Pete Lawrence (Biology?)
Tom Boulding (English)
Ralph Althorpe (English)
Mrs Althorpe (wife of Ralph, not sure what she taught)
? Chapman (French)
? Greenwell (Art)  {I'm not sure if it was Greenwell, but it was Green<something>)
Jack Justice (Geography)
Brother Vincent (Biology & RE)
Jon Covico (History)
Keith Palfreman (Physics)
Geoff Burdett (Maths)
Charlie Alderton (Maths)
Paddy Hopkins (Chemistry)
Paul Lally (French)
There was another Mr Grant, but I can't remember what he taught.
Brother Wilfred
Brother Cerenus
Brother Gerald
Winnie Eakins (French)
Flash Clarke (Physics)
Jock Mitchell (Craft)

Some I can remember by nickname or subject, but I forget the precise details:
Boris (Maths?)
The guy who taught Economics
My A-level Physics teacher (no doubt I'll recall his name once I post this message)

Please feel free to expand (or correct) this list.

The Physics teacher was Paul Doherty, and "Boris's" name was Mr Hall.
I think the correct spelling of the Biology teachers name is Sean Crehan.

I was there from 59 to 66 when I moved to bristol. I’m amazed at some of the comments here. I don’t remember many rich kids nor any particular cruelty  I remember one paid for pupil who was always in trouble, a name beginning with z? - memory is poor these days. He was rumoured to have left because of excessive strapping by the staff only to be teased by brother victor that his new school was even stricter. I did 2 lots of maths at a level mr Burdett?  if I remember rightly whose parents lived near mine at Sheffield lane top. Mr sweeney for English who asked were you lived and then named lots of pubs on the route there. Paul lally  name as a teacher stirs memories, there was a pupil paul lally in our year.

I joined De la Salle for the 6th form only, having moved to Sheffield in 1951.  I came from another of their establishments with a similar zeal for excessive physical punishment down South. So was there 1951 to 53. Remember well Bro Wilf strapping the whole of the 6th form at 9am assembly 'cos we decided to stay in our 6th form room that morning. The lay staff were mostly decent, humane beings. Fellow 6th formers I remember were Pete Long, Pat Hartley, Wazza Anyon. One good thing though - we were allowed occasional Hops on a Friday night. Records only, no live band. But some of us formed a skiffle group. I think it only gave 1 performance. Went well - nothing was thrown at us. Can't remember where the girls came from ... probably Notre Dame catholic girls school

Edited by QuaggyDipper
Addition

On 31/05/2012 at 09:59, bern351 said:

@jmccm You stated in your post "Indeed, it is sad that many people have made unfounded allegations against the deceased Brothers who are now unable to defend their integrity and good name."

That statement was saying we are not telling the truth about what happened. The man who started this thread can't defend himself either and I happen to know he suffered in the same way as I did. That is the reason I said "how dare you". You are not in a position to make a statement about allegations being unfounded, however I do appreciate that you did say you can't speak about the 50's and 60's.

On occasions we did deserve some of the punishment we recieved but on others... To this day I still don't know why I recieved 6 strokes of that vicious strap when I was in the final year DLSC. Names were read out in the playground in front of the gym, of boys who were in the new building that lunchtime and we all recieved a public flogging in the playground. No reason was ever given for that. By the way we were allowed to be in there at that time. Maybe you call that fair for someone being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I certainly don't. Things like that happened often during my sentence there, to boys in the lower stream, but they didn't happen to boys in the A and B streams quite so much. Of course the C stream were all boys who passed the 11 plus and came from working class families.

I am saying no more on this subject the memories are too painful to keep resurecting.

Hi Bern351

Bit late to reply but I was one of those hauled out for the flogging! I thought it was in the morning, but you are right. The reason was that we defied the command by Wilfred to line up for the assembly before dispersing to classes. We were probably classmates. I was the southern softie who joined DOS Sheffield in the 6th form. Knew what to expect, having been to their Blackheath school from 46-51.

Ive just found out that Sean Crehan sadly passed away last Saturday.

(I'm not as old as most of you on here). Im 52.

My dad is Ian Campbell (ex De La Salle) and was very good friends with Sean & Trisha and I was the 'other' teachers' kid as All Saints with Matt Crehan.

For his sins, he took me to my first football match at Hillsbough. an Owl through and through.

RIP Sean, you were a bloody decent bloke and I for one will miss bumping into you outside your house.

On 02/07/2021 at 21:15, dan2802 said:

Ive just found out that Sean Crehan sadly passed away last Saturday.

(I'm not as old as most of you on here). Im 52.

My dad is Ian Campbell (ex De La Salle) and was very good friends with Sean & Trisha and I was the 'other' teachers' kid as All Saints with Matt Crehan.

For his sins, he took me to my first football match at Hillsbough. an Owl through and through.

RIP Sean, you were a bloody decent bloke and I for one will miss bumping into you outside your house.

I remember Mr Crehan, though I dropped Biology as a subject after my third year. I think his nickname amongst the students was 'Crusty'. I have good recollections of him. RIP.

I remember your father, too, as he taught me Physics for both O level and A level, always in a freshly-laundered, white lab coat. Please send him my kind regards (my apologies might be in order, too! 😆).