De La Salle College

I was there 67-74 and it was strange that Bro.Wilfrid had the reputation for being strict but was the most democratic school head I encountered (and I have since been a teacher, ouch ). 

Memories:

Bro. Victor using RE lessons as citizenship and politics

Bro.Vincent catching me for skiving his Chemistry lessons and RE lessons, but only mentioning the RE

Bro. Serenus, deserved a sainthood for his Uni transition help - I did go back and thank him.

Bro.nnnn? Incompetent French Teacher.

Old lady French teacher. Always aged 92

Mr Grant and Mt. Palfreyman (VW Beetles) and the Physics  teacher with a car with a Wankel engine (I used to cadge lifts).

Geography 'through the soles of your boots'  Mr 'Jack' Justice.    Greg Davies copied his stance I think.

Bro.Wifrid presenting a proposed new badge for sixth formers after we had no badge for a year. Spontaneous laughter stopped the badge without discussion.

The 'new' Sixth form common room Tornados Telstar ...

The Librarian teaching us card games (bridge. brag...)

Bro.xxx? who used RE lessons for philosophy and comparative religions. Very advanced for the time.

The Priest who tried to use RE for Bible reading. We rejected him. Bro. Wilfrid asked us why. The Priest never returned.

PE :Captain Wall and the old Gym and focus on no underwear.

Then new warm Gym, new PE Teacher and playing Volleyball.

Walking down Scott Rd to some church hall for lunch (vague memories of trading school meal tickets as I was on 'Free' )

We had about 650 pupils. It was a grammar while I was there but didn't it become All Saints, or something, a mixed secondary school

Wilf was a different guy in the 50's. He must have mellowed by the time you arrived.

Had to smile when you mentioned Capt. Wall and his no underwear rule. lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

On 28/08/2019 at 08:31, Owens88 said:

I was there 67-74 and it was strange that Bro.Wilfrid had the reputation for being strict but was the most democratic school head I encountered (and I have since been a teacher, ouch ). 

Memories:

Bro.Vincent catching me for skiving his Chemistry lessons and RE lessons, but only mentioning the RE

Bro. Serenus, deserved a sainthood for his Uni transition help - I did go back and thank him.

Mr Grant and Mt. Palfreyman (VW Beetles) and the Physics  teacher with a car with a Wankel engine (I used to cadge lifts).

Geography 'through the soles of your boots'  Mr 'Jack' Justice.    Greg Davies copied his stance I think.

Bro.Wifrid presenting a proposed new badge for sixth formers after we had no badge for a year. Spontaneous laughter stopped the badge without discussion.

Bro.xxx? who used RE lessons for philosophy and comparative religions. Very advanced for the time.

The Priest who tried to use RE for Bible reading. We rejected him. Bro. Wilfrid asked us why. The Priest never returned.

Walking down Scott Rd to some church hall for lunch (vague memories of trading school meal tickets as I was on 'Free' )

We had about 650 pupils. It was a grammar while I was there but didn't it become All Saints, or something, a mixed secondary school

The church hall you mentioned was actually a church and had different denominations residing there in the 60s and 70s, it was once a Mormon tabernacle later a Methodist church and when it closed it was a Muslim temple. It was at the triangle of Grimesthorpe Road-Ellesmere Road-Lyo ns  Road. All Saints school was across the street and was a junior school, the secondary school in that area was Burngreave. Was that church always used by DPS pupils or a temporary arrangement ?

Is this topic still live?

I was at de la salle 68-75. My experience wasn't at all traumatic, it was just a school.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:37, St Petre said:

The church hall you mentioned was actually a church and had different denominations residing there in the 60s and 70s, it was once a Mormon tabernacle later a Methodist church and when it closed it was a Muslim temple. It was at the triangle of Grimesthorpe Road-Ellesmere Road-Lyo ns  Road. All Saints school was across the street and was a junior school, the secondary school in that area was Burngreave. Was that church always used by DPS pupils or a temporary arrangement ?

Ah... Ellesmere Road Canteen. On the positive side , Cottage Pie and beans was very enjoyable  , more negatively trying to hide the semolina and Jam behind a curtain while no one was looking. (funny thing is I quite like it now.) (Scott Road 1974 -79)  

On 31/08/2019 at 13:37, St Petre said:

The church hall you mentioned was actually a church and had different denominations residing there in the 60s and 70s, it was once a Mormon tabernacle later a Methodist church and when it closed it was a Muslim temple. It was at the triangle of Grimesthorpe Road-Ellesmere Road-Lyo ns  Road. All Saints school was across the street and was a junior school, the secondary school in that area was Burngreave. Was that church always used by DLS pupils or a temporary arrangement ?

On 28/08/2019 at 13:31, Owens88 said:

Memories:

Those memories sound very much like mine, I was at DLS from 66-73 and have to say, always enjoyed my time at school. The French teacher was Brother Peter and he really helped me and gave me confidence to do languages at A Level, so I respect him for that.

I also had Mr Hespe for Spanish A level and Brother Gabriel for French oral work on tape machines. He also ran the cross country team, which I was in and seemed to enjoy watching us shower at Beauchief!

I know this is a long shot my uncle was at DLS it is a long time ago his name was James Linton I think he was there in the early 50s ?

Thanks for reading my post 

Christine

Edited by pipsmum
wrong spelling

On 28/08/2019 at 13:31, Owens88 said:

Memories:

I remember a lot of that though I'm sure the incompetent French teacher wasn't a brother. I can remember his name but we gave him hell. Poor bloke. The last I heard was that he gave up teaching and became a monk!

The sixth form common room was top floor of the tall, red-brick block, next to the physics and chemistry labs.  I don't remember Tornados Telstar, but I do remember Rob Wilkes taking everyone else's money at three-card brag!

On 25/08/2020 at 14:42, TorryBlade said:

If anyone's interested, I did put some photos and info on the web.

http://www.kpmd.co.uk/danielsfamily/dlsc.htm

Thanks for that link, you put a lot of work into that - very interesting, I've just spent an hour looking through it.

Thanks I have found myself on the 1972  section D 

On 18/08/2020 at 16:20, andycott said:

Those memories sound very much like mine, I was at DLS from 66-73 and have to say, always enjoyed my time at school. The French teacher was Brother Peter and he really helped me and gave me confidence to do languages at A Level, so I respect him for that.

I also had Mr Hespe for Spanish A level and Brother Gabriel for French oral work on tape machines. He also ran the cross country team, which I was in and seemed to enjoy watching us shower at Beauchief!

Quite liked Brother Pete , used to drive a Sports car if rumours were true he left the cloth and drove into the sunset with a blond.   He was replaced by Mr Lalley