Sheffield the Real Ale capital of the world.

With over 50 breweries and 1000 different beers Sheffield has been declared the real ale capital of the world.

Nothing comes up on Goolgle stating this, although it does seem Derby had the title of "real ale capital of the UK" in 2012 & Sheffield had it in 2013.

57 breweries is impressive.

but this thread only lists half that.

This article, dated today, says only 23:

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/time-please-for-sheffield-to-become-an-international-pub-and-beer-capital-1-7864950

I think within the 57 they are counting "the Sheffield area".....which seems to stretch to Bakewell

OK, having scanned the report it seems the 57 breweries are in the Sheffield City Region, which includes all of South Yorkshire plus parts of northern Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.

The report is very good but its section on the role of beer and pubs as "cultural glue" would have been stronger if it had mentioned Sheffield's unique tradition of carol singing in pubs. This attracts visitors to the likes of the Royal Hotel in Dungworth from across the country and even from abroad.

one of the breweries down as Sheffield - The Brew Foundation brew their ales near Macclesfield at Wincle Beer Company.

Although one of them is from Sheffield but I wouldn't class it as Sheffield.

Interesting reading as well.

one of the breweries down as Sheffield - The Brew Foundation brew their ales near Macclesfield at Wincle Beer Company.

Although one of them is from Sheffield but I wouldn't class it as Sheffield.

Interesting reading as well.

Chesterfield has lots of real ale pubs too. My brother who lives there, always takes me on a tour, when I come over from Canada. It is all he will drink, he has never liked the mainstream beers.