SCC threaten legal action over 'garish' union flag building painting

If it's grade 2 listed the occupants really should have known better.

Guest busdriver1
If it's grade 2 listed the occupants really should have known better.

Exactly, and we wonder why small businesses fail. With this amount of forethought we can see why.

Sheffield Council says Cake R’ Us on Devonshire Street did not have planning consent to paint the flag on the Grade II-listed building.

Its not jobsworth, but the council applying the rules.

So we are trying to boost small businesses and the economy and the jobsworths at the council object to this.

Have they got nothing better to do?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-threatens-legal-action-against-shop-over-garish-union-flag-1-7862333

Seems entirely appropriate for the council to take enforcement action against people defacing grade II listed buildings.

And no, I guess the council conservation minister literally has nothing better to do than this, his job.

I quite like it, it's pretty funky.

but you just can't do whatever you like to a grade II building and not expect the council to throw the book at you.

Chances are they'd never grant permission for something like that, which is probably why he didn't bother to ask.

That's good! I presume this means that the council will be forcing the removal of the garish coloured plastic panels on another grade two listed building, namely, Park Hill Flats. Common sense at long last!

God knows who painted the shop front, but it certainly isn't the Union Flag … the closest I can come to is that if it is, it's back to front and upside down. Even then, it doesn't work properly. Shoddy. :roll:

I trust the Queen will find time to come and have a look at Devonshire Street and confirm for herself how tacky this shop appears before writing in support of Mr Chan's free spirit and enterprise, but not his artistic impression.

As a regular patron of Cake R’ Us, I hope they fight against the council on this one. Since...well as Alcoblog just mentioned Park Hill Flats. If the council let people get away with that one then it should be good for all.

The shop face has been colured for a a fair amount of time. Wondered when the council actually realised. I understand the rules on this one. But as...questionable as the actual painting is, it does bring a bit of colour to a drab area.

So we are trying to boost small businesses and the economy and the jobsworths at the council object to this.

Have they got nothing better to do?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-threatens-legal-action-against-shop-over-garish-union-flag-1-7862333

Its a grade 2. They are dense for doing what they did. No use whinging in the star about it

Hahaha, the comments on there, brilliant! Apparently even this is reason to leave the EU, couldn't make it up...

Other than that, the council is right to protect the way listed buildings look, there is a reason they are listed. Some flexibility should be shown and judging by the fact there is a (neon) sign sticking out of the shop I'd say they have done.

So would it be OK to paint Stonehenge in garish colours? Or Buck Palace?

People on this forum have complained about this council disregarding heritage buildings, knocking down old buildings and putting up carbuncles and ruining any history the City has. But when it attempts to stop a commercial enterprise daubing garish advertising on a listed building they kick off about that.

Make your minds up.