Conservatory Roof Advice

Hi

I'm looking at getting various things done around the house and one of which is to make the conservatory more "liveable" all year round as a lot of the time it is too hot or too cold. I can't afford to convert it to a proper extension so I wondered if people had any experience of either the so called "solar glass" that i think Pilkington started or the lightweight tiled roof that are coming in. I wondered if these worked to stabilise the temperature and if anyone has any guidelines re how much roughly it cost them that would also help. But firstly - do these approaches work?

More of an expensive sticking plaster really, plus it probably won't do anything for the winter temperature.

The cost will be a decent percentage of a proper extension, so in the long run keeping the money in your pocket and saving up for a proper job is going to be more worthwhile.

Hi had the same problem with mine converted it to a warm roof does make a

differance you can email me on [email protected] and ill send you some

specs

thanks will do.

re. building an extension - that's talking £20,000. might as well move to a bigger house - but i like where i am

We installed blinds at roof level and they do work. They reduce the glare from the sun (a big plus if you watch TV in your conservatory) and help regulate the extremes of heat. The company who installed them are excellent - CoinservatoryBlinds4Less. No, I don't work for them or have any connection to them, but credit where due - they have an industry leading product and are great to deal with.

Roof replacements such as the Guardian one are really good and make the room habitable all year round. However, they are expensive and require good foundations. Building regulations are required. It is possible to save a lot of money by purchasing the roof from a local supplier and employing a builder/joiner to install it.

thanks will do.

re. building an extension - that's talking £20,000. might as well move to a bigger house - but i like where i am

Yes, but once you factor in all the costs buying and selling your house, then moving costs and such you've already spent several thousand right there, and had a whole heap of stress in the process.

Then on top you've gotta spend that 20K to actually buy the 'bigger house' in the first place.

I had a quote for both an extension and a Guardian type roof, and here wasn't that much in it. I went for the extension, floor is now properly insulated solid roof and I can use it all year. Extension wins for me.

Yes, but once you factor in all the costs buying and selling your house, then moving costs and such you've already spent several thousand right there, and had a whole heap of stress in the process.

Then on top you've gotta spend that 20K to actually buy the 'bigger house' in the first place.

Agree.

Plus, a lot of houses these days come with a conservatory already installed. In some price brackets/areas they're hard to avoid. Something that can make them more usable does sound like a good idea.

Personally I like the tiled look, maybe with Velux style roof windows.

I have a conservatory with a pitched flat roof aprox 6m x 4 m The roof is glass and its far too cold in the winter can anyone recommend anyone who can replace the glass sections with something like insulated panels ?

Not an issue as far as losing light goes i just want it to be warmer :-)

Hi you could replace it with a warm roof system if light is not an issue if you need any more info you can contact me on 07747800596