School Places - why not just go to your local school?

, Crookes kids, go to Crookes school?

so using that example, which one would you deem Crookes school ? - king teds, tapton, notre dame or forge valley? Geographically they are about equal distant

I'm not 40 and I went to a different system to the majority of the UK. We had Lower, Middle and Upper Schools opposed to the Primary and Secondary you have in Sheffield. This may have been the reason why we had no choice, but the fact it was rural may also have some bearing.

I had that system as well. I'd not heard of a two school system until I went to uni and met friends who were from other parts of the country. It was the norm in Hampshire at least.

Edit: well, we had First, Middle and Senior school. Four years in each.

Edited by the_bloke

I went to Gleadless first school, then Gleadless middle school for 4 years, then Ashleigh comp, and started at Ashleigh in what was Year 2, and in Year 2, I turned 13.

Some classes, not many though, three I think, had started in Year 1.

Is that the same as your middle school?

Sounds very similar to the system that I(and others )went through with the introduction of Comprehensives.

There seems to have been a lot of rebranding since the 60's

Having smart peers really does help people to learn.

Having disruptive peers definitely makes it harder.

Definately true. However the headteacher at one of the schools I taught at (which had exceptionally good results) used to deflect the notion that by attending the school all pupils would suddenly become Oxbridge candidates by saying " you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear " at an assembly for prospective students before the start of each school year.

[/color]With regards choice, how many of the parents who live at Dore/Millhouses wanted their children to go to a school near Page Hall, or Parson Cross?

I have a sneaky feeling these parents living at millhouses wanted their children at the local primary

Edited by rogets

Oh yeah, definitely. It's not quite as black and white as I was making out, but you take my point.

I don't see why if kids are streamed by ability, that shouldn't apply to pretty much any school though? It worked extremely well at mine, a rural comprehensive with a diverse intake (ability-wise).

The school leagues table have all the details, but I am not sure if people bother to look.

Its all down to the numbers - Low achievers, Middle achievers and High achievers

At my daughters school 14% of low achievers get - 5 A*-C GCSEs (or equivalents) including English and maths GCSEs

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/performance/

Oh yeah, definitely. It's not quite as black and white as I was making out, but you take my point.

I don't see why if kids are streamed by ability, that shouldn't apply to pretty much any school though? It worked extremely well at mine, a rural comprehensive with a diverse intake (ability-wise).

Whilst having smart peers might help children to learn, giving smart parents the "choice" to ensure their smart children congregate with other smart children, just leads to more problem schools.

So we end up with sectarian schooling based on the social standing of the parents.

Not only that, but we can also end up with sectarian schooling based on the colour or race of the children. I wandered past the primary school at Darnall a few weeks ago, and the playground was full of kids but not one white face. Not one face that was not Asian in fact. Now this is not representative of the children in the area at all, not yet anyway, and cannot be healthy for social cohesion in the long term.

Far better to be diverse and average imho. Education is not just about examination results.

Whilst having smart peers might help children to learn, giving smart parents the "choice" to ensure their smart children congregate with other smart children, just leads to more problem schools.

So we end up with sectarian schooling based on the social standing of the parents.

Not only that, but we can also end up with sectarian schooling based on the colour or race of the children. I wandered past the primary school at Darnall a few weeks ago, and the playground was full of kids but not one white face. Not one face that was not Asian in fact. Now this is not representative of the children in the area at all, not yet anyway, and cannot be healthy for social cohesion in the long term.

Far better to be diverse and average imho. Education is not just about examination results.

When I was starting primary school, I lived on Charlotte Road (near the bottom end of Bramall Lane) and most of the kids round there went to Lowfield. I remember my Mum pushing to get me into Anns Grove at Heeley because there were "less Asians attending there".

My catchment secondary school from that area was King Ecgberts at Dore. My mum went to appeal, quite rightly I think, as there were many schools closer and easier to get to - Myrtle Springs or Newfield for example, but she failed in the appeal and I attended King Ecgberts, which took me over an hour to reach school in the morning, as opposed to Myrtle springs which was a 5 minute bus ride up East Bank Road.

The catchment area school isn't always the local one!

When I was starting primary school, I lived on Charlotte Road (near the bottom end of Bramall Lane) and most of the kids round there went to Lowfield. I remember my Mum pushing to get me into Anns Grove at Heeley because there were "less Asians attending there".

My catchment secondary school from that area was King Ecgberts at Dore. My mum went to appeal, quite rightly I think, as there were many schools closer and easier to get to - Myrtle Springs or Newfield for example, but she failed in the appeal and I attended King Ecgberts, which took me over an hour to reach school in the morning, as opposed to Myrtle springs which was a 5 minute bus ride up East Bank Road.

The catchment area school isn't always the local one!

Didn't Sheffield introduce a different kind of catchment system that cut through long, narrow sections of the city, so that a single school could take pupils from different socio-economic areas? Is that still in place? I wonder if that would be suggested now, when we are all meant to be trying be green?

Well, I'm not 50, and yet I can tell you for a fact that there was no choice about which school I went to until Comprehensive. At which point you could either go to the local one, or by special arrangement to the next closest alternative (although hardly anyone did).

Same here.

Although Chaucer school was 20 minutes walk- me, my brothers and sisters chose Yewlands, about 40 minutes walk, because unlike Chaucer there was no uniform policy.

Didn't Sheffield introduce a different kind of catchment system that cut through long, narrow sections of the city, so that a single school could take pupils from different socio-economic areas? Is that still in place? I wonder if that would be suggested now, when we are all meant to be trying be green?

It would certainly solve congestion on the roads.

You only have to see the difference in traffic levels when kids are on holiday.

So if kids went to their local school it would vastly reduce congestion which would mean the council wouldn't need to solve the problem of congestion