What is happening to Sheffield?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-officially-safest-large-city-in-uk-figures-reveal-1-5578578

Although thus was 2013 it's could be slightly out of date. But was the safest big city.

Ah!!! ... the Star, albeit 2013!!!

'compiled from police forces covering the eight largest cities outside London'

Ah!!! ... the Star, albeit 2013!!!

'compiled from police forces covering the eight largest cities outside London'

and? london and the other largest cities tend to be the worst

Sedith is the person who said that my parents dog eating cat poo is comparable to me eating a KFC :hihi:

Sedith is the person who said that my parents dog eating cat poo is comparable to me eating a KFC :hihi:

tbf it probably does taste similar :P

These are isolated incidents and we should remember that crime is in fact falling.

For example a study was carried out and it found that in 1992 your average Sheffield United fan said a naughty word every 5 seconds, in 2016 its now a rude word every 5.76 seconds.

We need to not only know what the crime is, but we need to know the causes, what were the triggers and what lessons can we learn?

Until lessons are learned we can never progress.

An old woman gets beaten up and all her money stolen, what was the cause, what was the effect, who was involved, how did this crime impact on the victim, do we understand the assailants life history, what lessons can be learned?

Until we understand what crime is we can never solve it and I feel none of us know what the definition of crime is.

And until we understand what crime is we can never learn lessons for the future

We do not yet know whether they are or aren't isolated. Do they have any common features?

We do not yet know whether they are or aren't isolated. Do they have any common features?

Yes...they all happened in Sheffield.

Sad, but true...Sheffield isn't the nice place to live it once was.

I have heard before that Sheffield is the safest of the biggest cities, but just because our crime rate is lower than comparable cities, it doesn't mean it's good.

Take Chesterfield, for example, which has almost a fifth of the population of Sheffield. Yet it doesn't have anywhere close to a fifth of the rate for any type of crime.

Sheffield doesn't have the "village community" feel it once had. The council and the police ought to be asking themselves why.

Its not just Sheffield that's changed every where has it reflects the times we live in. When I visit Sheffield I don't feel unsafe as I mostly stick to the city centre anyway . I would say Derby or Manchester are worse .

Seems nobody has mentioned that the murders that have occurred on Gleadless Valley were all committed by people from other countries and are not Sheffield people, it was just unfortunate that Gleadless Valley has had its area sullied by them.

Common features?

Lessons to be learned I think

Seems nobody has mentioned that the murders that have occurred on Gleadless Valley were all committed by people from other countries and are not Sheffield people, it was just unfortunate that Gleadless Valley has had its area sullied by them.

What is the need to bring nationality or race into this? One of the victims was originally from Zimbabwe, I understand. The tone of your post and the word used as "sullied" seems like a prejudiced stance. It's been a difficult time for those affected and the wider community. People of all backgrounds are capable of doing bad. Think you should either edit or delete your comment as insensitive and opportunistic.

Edited by S1 1DJ