What is happening to Sheffield?

I have to agree that Ecclesall Road is really going down hill. Lots of rough sleepers and people begging now days, plus it's getting full of takeaways.

I hope it never gets like London Road, for me, that is now a no go area at night.

...except for the hundreds of people who use the shops, pubs and restaurants every night of the week...

...except for the hundreds of people who use the shops, pubs and restaurants every night of the week...

They need to be careful that they don't trip over the detritus or a rough sleeper.

Another stabbing in Champs on Ecclesall Road last night...

You might say they're not related, but it doesn't change the fact that it is OBVIOUS more people are carrying weapons, and are less concerned about the consequences of injuring someone.

Why is that?

I suspect the stabbings in the S11 area (Club Garden Road, Ecclesall Road) are related and give it a couple of weeks before the police make arrests. The others seem unrelated and just happen to have taken place closer together than these things usually do.

---------- Post added 18-04-2016 at 19:55 ----------

I am so glad someone has raised this question, which has been niggling away at my mind too recently. So it seems that over the past year or two, there has been an unprecedented spike in violent crime occurring in Sheffield.

I say this not only as someone who has been alerted to this by the number of reports about violence in Sheffield covered by the press, but also as a general member of the public feeling that there is something definitely not right in on our streets. Increasingly, I have found myself furrowing my brows over the darkness in the public mood and on the streets.

One specific thing I can point to as an example of this, is the surge in abusive and aggressive behaviour at the bus stops in town. There has always been a fairly consistent group of people who appear to be homeless, hanging around Bargain Booze on West Street and Devonshire Green drinking, but this never used to lead to any particularly alarming aggression and anti-social behaviour towards the public who just happened to be passing by or waiting for the buses. But recently, new faces have appeared in these areas, and I have seen a few concerning incidents- a few times being members of the group shouting at people passing by, calling them 'queer ********' or 'fat horrible trolls', squaring up to people passing by with the obvious intention of starting a fight. One time, it just started raining and obviously everyone waiting for the bus huddled together under the small bit of shelter available on the road. But the people drinking and just hanging around targeted specific members of this group demanding that they move over and accusing them of hoarding the space. 'You fat horrible disgusting bitch' was directed at one woman this afternoon, after she stood up to the man who was trying to shove her out of the space. Among other things, and then another afternoon waiting, a guy just started shoving into passers by and attacking them, calling them 'queer ****ers' as they moved past.

Then there is of course the reports of all these stabbings, threats, car break ins, burglaries, which just seem to have completely gone through the roof. Sexual violence too, like hearing about (not long after the body of Caroline was found) a woman being allegedly raped on Division Street on a busy night out, right in the public eye. Plus the story where a female who was sexually assaulted ended up completely battering her attacker in self defense. It's the increased volume of this kind of story i'm hearing which is the most concerning, for obvious reasons.

I also work in a charity shop in town, which in the space of three months, has been burgled two times. Someone has forced entry causing damage both times, stolen the donations tin takings, some good quality professional cameras and sports clothes, along with petty cash which was locked away in drawers which were forced open. I wondered if maybe I was just witnessing more crime as a coincidence, but actually it's becoming more and more apparent that the reason I feel less and less safe in Sheffield recently, is because I am actually less safe here!

Does anyone know if there are any specific series of events which might account for this weird public mood?

This is exactly the problem with basing your opinions on perceptions instead of facts. The only concrete issue you've highlighted is that there is an increased problem with aggressive street drinkers - the Council acknowledge this, as do the police and they are trying to work out the best way to deal with it. I know this because I have sat with people from the Council and the police when they have told me about it, I didn't infer it from a pattern of vague feelings.

I am so glad someone has raised this question, which has been niggling away at my mind too recently. So it seems that over the past year or two, there has been an unprecedented spike in violent crime occurring in Sheffield.

I say this not only as someone who has been alerted to this by the number of reports about violence in Sheffield covered by the press, but also as a general member of the public feeling that there is something definitely not right in on our streets. Increasingly, I have found myself furrowing my brows over the darkness in the public mood and on the streets.

One specific thing I can point to as an example of this, is the surge in abusive and aggressive behaviour at the bus stops in town. There has always been a fairly consistent group of people who appear to be homeless, hanging around Bargain Booze on West Street and Devonshire Green drinking, but this never used to lead to any particularly alarming aggression and anti-social behaviour towards the public who just happened to be passing by or waiting for the buses. But recently, new faces have appeared in these areas, and I have seen a few concerning incidents- a few times being members of the group shouting at people passing by, calling them 'queer ********' or 'fat horrible trolls', squaring up to people passing by with the obvious intention of starting a fight. One time, it just started raining and obviously everyone waiting for the bus huddled together under the small bit of shelter available on the road. But the people drinking and just hanging around targeted specific members of this group demanding that they move over and accusing them of hoarding the space. 'You fat horrible disgusting bitch' was directed at one woman this afternoon, after she stood up to the man who was trying to shove her out of the space. Among other things, and then another afternoon waiting, a guy just started shoving into passers by and attacking them, calling them 'queer ****ers' as they moved past.

Then there is of course the reports of all these stabbings, threats, car break ins, burglaries, which just seem to have completely gone through the roof. Sexual violence too, like hearing about (not long after the body of Caroline was found) a woman being allegedly raped on Division Street on a busy night out, right in the public eye. Plus the story where a female who was sexually assaulted ended up completely battering her attacker in self defense. It's the increased volume of this kind of story i'm hearing which is the most concerning, for obvious reasons.

I also work in a charity shop in town, which in the space of three months, has been burgled two times. Someone has forced entry causing damage both times, stolen the donations tin takings, some good quality professional cameras and sports clothes, along with petty cash which was locked away in drawers which were forced open. I wondered if maybe I was just witnessing more crime as a coincidence, but actually it's becoming more and more apparent that the reason I feel less and less safe in Sheffield recently, is because I am actually less safe here!

Does anyone know if there are any specific series of events which might account for this weird public mood?

The gathering of street drinkers near varsity is a reality, however given that several very drunk people are in the same place for hours on end, some nastiness is almost inevitable - it's an issue that needs sorting out.

As for the other stuff, it's your fear of crime overriding logic. Most crimes, especially violent crime has been falling for at least 15 years and is at very low levels. this is based on facts (Crime Surveys being the most compelling evidence - police figures also show this but are less reliable and depend on reporting behaviour and local policies) and not anecdotal impressions or feelings.

There is not a city in the world that is crime free.

Really? Nicky Campbell phone in? Voice of the nation? What is really happening? Aye right!

I'm sure this means something or you wouldn't have bothered typing it.

I'm sure this means something or you wouldn't have bothered typing it.

Touchy, touchy, touché.

Just to add I listened to that particularly southern based phone in.

Edited by Lurgh Mor

The Gleadless one could have happened anywhere.

Secondly the murder of the young woman as someone said it was targeted and he (the murderer) wasn't from Sheffield.

Sheffield is a huge city and for the size we dont get that many its just that there has been a spate of them recently. Also in most cases (apart from the two above) the stabbings usually are targeted opposing gang members so not usually the average citizen. So its usually someone who was not targeted for their good deeds.

That makes it ok then?

As I said.....Sheffield is no longer the safe place it once was.

I love Sheffield, proud born and bred Sheffielder, I live in the city centre, the city as much as I love it is not as nice and ''safe'' as some people think or make out.

If you live in the nice suburbs, sound no reason to think otherwise but you would be shocked about some of the crap I see and hear, vast majority you will never hear of.

this safe city crap is just a manipulating of data to give a certain impression

Its also not as bad as some make out either (aside from certain parts past the wicker archers)

I love Sheffield, proud born and bred Sheffielder, I live in the city centre, the city as much as I love it is not as nice and ''safe'' as some people think or make out.

If you live in the nice suburbs, sound no reason to think otherwise but you would be shocked about some of the crap I see and hear, vast majority you will never hear of.

this safe city crap is just a manipulating of data to give a certain impression

Its also not as bad as some make out either (aside from certain parts past the wicker archers)

No-one has said it's completely safe, just that it's safer than the other major cities in England (not the safest of all the cities either; St. Albans and Exeter are cities). And Burngreave is safer than people make out, I know because I live there and read what people say about it.

City centres are always the least safe areas because it's where people consume the most alcohol.

No-one has said it's completely safe, just that it's safer than the other major cities in England (not the safest of all the cities either; St. Albans and Exeter are cities). And Burngreave is safer than people make out, I know because I live there and read what people say about it.

City centres are always the least safe areas because it's where people consume the most alcohol.

Yeah but to say its safer than London,Manchester,Birmingham etc is not saying much, its just gives a kind of skewed view

and I didn't really mean Burngreave although any area where there is blatant drug dealing,prostitution in broad daylight on the main stretch though isn't great, I meant further toward the northern Gen, burngreave/pitsmoor has kind of stayed the same, the areas I mentioned have got worse...far worse

In my opinion it really is time that the general public were given the police force that we pay for.

I don't think that Sheffield is any worse and probably much better than many other towns and cities for serious crimes or anti social behaviour.

What concerns most people when they are out and about is that if they should run into a problem then there is the probability that help is at hand.

It is my belief that a strong action on low level crime and antisocial behaviour leads to less instances of serious crimes.

There was a morning phone in last week regarding anti social behaviour ( Nicky Campbell) that I found interesting.

Two policeman made similar comments that when they travelled to work on public transport,they were in civilian clothes but on the odd occasion that they had got involved in antisocial behaviour they had used their warrant cards to effect.

The general public don't have this and what they need is a visible police presence.

In my youth when I frequented town this presence was always there at probable trouble spots such as turning out time at the pubs and clubs and at taxi ranks.

I want visible and effective policing of our streets because that is what we pay for.

They can stop and search as many people as they want and when they find the knife carriers I would like the courts to impose the sentences that are available to them

You don't pay anywhere near enough for that mate .

The number of police personnel is being reduced by this government to cut costs. I would hazard a guess that if the average person in the street knew how few police officers where actually on duty on an average day or night they wouldn't leave home. Those police officers who ARE out on the streets are spread so thinly that they have to prioritise their workload which is why they can't always be there as quickly as the public expect them to be.

Don't blame the police - they are doing their best with less manpower. Blame this government who are reducing funding and putting everyones safety at risk.

I think we do pay enough to expect that the powers that be provide adequate policing on our streets.

I'm not blaming the police force at all and agree with you that their numbers have been cut by central government ,whilst they are expected to perform a much wider range of duties than their primary task of maintaining law and order on the streets.

Following the recent spate of knife crimes once again we are assured by the Chief that knife crime is down and there is no need for undue concern.

How many people have been found carrying knives in public before a stabbing occurs and what sentences were handed down.

I've no idea but I suspect precious few because there are no police officers close to their communities anymore.

We don't necessarily have to pay more money for policing as it should .Just give it the priority that it should have.