Does anyone have any pictures of Attercliffe Road Station..

Now I am confused:

I was following the discussion then I see someone refer to Norfolk Bridge as the Attercliffe station, and then someone else mentioned that it was on Worksop road by the canal, halfway between Broughton Lane & Woodburn Junction. Which was it ? I did use Norfolk Bridge, and my grandfather used to work at Broughton Lane, but I don't know which had the title of "Attercliffe Rd Station."

Attercliffe Station and Attercliffe Road Station about were two different places because the latter (which was the one I thought we were talking about) was on Leveson Street between Attercliffe Road and Effingham Street at Norfolk Bridge which is not really in Attercliffe which I thought started further to the east somewhere around Effingham Road/Washford Bridge, but before Staniforth Road.

---------- Post added 19-04-2016 at 21:56 ----------

Hi natonstan and PeterR; I wasn't being critical or niggly about the link, there are a few of the pictures relevant to Attercliffe Road on the site. Because 'Attercliffe' closed so long ago there will be very few current forum members who will know it ever existed. For clarification, the station was at Worksop Road / Sheffield & Tinsley Canal intersection approximately halfway between Woodburn Junction and Broughton Lane Station.

'Attercliffe Road' seems to have attracted some platform photographers but there has never been much to enthuse about:|

Yes right Voldy, might 'never been much to enthuse about' but to 'train spotters' Railway enthusiasts etc' it had as good a vantage point as nearby Brightside or Bernard Road, the difference being perhaps the price of a platform ticket (which weren't allowed on some stations) and to not have one's feet protruding over the platform edge !

Edited by stpetre
add

Yes right Voldy, might 'never been much to enthuse about' but to 'train spotters' Railway enthusiasts etc' it had as good a vantage point as nearby Brightside or Bernard Road, the difference being perhaps the price of a platform ticket (which weren't allowed on some stations) and to not have one's feet protruding over the platform edge !

I did my share of spotting in the late 40's and know how difficult it could be to see the Midland line workings as the Main Sheffield Station staff actively discouraged this. The easiest 'free' locations were Millhouses Park or Navigation Hill/Bernard Road, the latter providing more variety as many other posters have quoted in the "Enthusiast" threads over the last decade. Like many others at that time I enjoyed hours sitting on that stone wall recording the action,even managing the occasional Lyon's Fruit Pie :hihi:

Here is a 1904 railway map with the two Attercliffe stations indicated.

According to that map (thank you Mr.H.) and looking on Ordnance Map-circa 1955- the entrance to Attercliffe Station (not Attercliffe Road Station) was on Staniforth Road, could that be right ?

Attercliffe Station was on Worksop Road. Here is an 1890s Kelly's map with the relevant area enlarged, and here is a scan from Col. M.H. Cobb's monumental "Railway Atlas of Great britain" showing the railway lines, stationes and junctions against a faint outline of the Ordnance Survey map.

Attercliffe Station was on Worksop Road. Here is an 1890s Kelly's map with the relevant area enlarged, and here is a scan from Col. M.H. Cobb's monumental "Railway Atlas of Great britain" showing the railway lines, stationes and junctions against a faint outline of the Ordnance Survey map.

Yes Mr.H. (Phil is not only busy today but as usual correct) from my O.S. maps- 1955- the station seems to have been phased out from the general system. Perhaps when 'British Railways' came about (1948-1965) they didn't wait for Dr. Beeching and his 'axe' to come- around 1959-60- and let the land go to what, from the map anyway, was an easterly extention of Brown-Bayley Steels . As for Col. M.H. Cobb, I might even change my name to that !

Attercliffe station closed as long ago as 1927 but it still appears on some later maps (I have one of 1938 that shows it). Colonel Cobb's work isn't cheap (I paid £150 for the two volumes new from Ian Allan, and they are now worth more as it's out of print - see here for example) but it is "the last word" in anything concerning the location of railway lines, stations, junctions, tunnels etc., with dates of opening and closing. Michael Cobb was 91 when, as a direct result of his study, he became the oldest person ever to receive a Ph.D. degree from Cambridge University - see here.

Only just seen this topic. If you walk up to the steps to the canal at aquaduct bridge (where Worksop road becomes Darnall road) and look across the canal at this point, I believe you can see remnants of the Attercliffe Station. The old Station public house was just down the road on Attercliffe.

I volunteer on the canal, and as 'drolnhoj'  says, if you walk from Worksop Road, up the steps, along the canal towards Sheffield, just before the bridge, on the right is the remains of the old Attercliffe Station.