Does anyone have any pictures of Attercliffe Road Station..

...Attercliffe Road Station? I went there the other day hoping to do a bit of urban exploring but found the place completely gated off, despite being told by others that it was accessible if you "knew where to go". Probably for the best since I don't fancy paying a 1 grand railway trespassing fine. :hihi:

Anyway I reckoned the next best thing was to ask around to see if anyone had any pictures, information, or links on the station? Possibly in it's last days of service?

I'm more than a little bit interested in the history of Sheffield's railways so any submissions on here would be very much appreciated!

Cheers :-)

...Attercliffe Road Station? I went there the other day hoping to do a bit of urban exploring but found the place completely gated off, despite being told by others that it was accessible if you "knew where to go". Probably for the best since I don't fancy paying a 1 grand railway trespassing fine. :hihi:

Anyway I reckoned the next best thing was to ask around to see if anyone had any pictures, information, or links on the station? Possibly in it's last days of service?

I'm more than a little bit interested in the history of Sheffield's railways so any submissions on here would be very much appreciated!

You may have seen them, but there are a few pics of Attercliffe Station along with some others on this link.....

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?&searchterms=attercliffe+railway+station&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%25attercliffe%25%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%25railway%25%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%25station%25%3B#rowNumber6

Edited by PeterR

Found a 1947 picture in an Ian Allan published book by S R Batty (1994) "Railways of Sheffield" attributed to D Thompson. Does not seem to be a popular subject or the easiest to photograph.

The link in natonstan's post is not the location for 'Attercliffe Road' as it shows the 'Attercliffe' site between Woodburn and Tinsley Junctions on the GC line. Attercliffe Road on the MR line opened in 1870.

Found a 1947 picture in an Ian Allan published book by S R Batty (1994) "Railways of Sheffield" attributed to D Thompson. Does not seem to be a popular subject or the easiest to photograph.

The link in natonstan's post is not the location for 'Attercliffe Road' as it shows the 'Attercliffe' site between Woodburn and Tinsley Junctions on the GC line. Attercliffe Road on the MR line opened in 1870.

Sorry about that, should have paid more attention to the description on that one

Attercliffe Road Station was just off it's namesake on Leveson Street in the Norfolk Bridge area, one problem with the place was the mountainous steps to get to it as it wasn't at street level.

I sneaked up there last year and took some photos. :)

You naughty boy !

Sorry about that, should have paid more attention to the description on that one

Hi natonstan,

Sorry I missed your post re 'Picture Sheffield' and posted the same info :loopy:

Peter.

Hi natonstan and PeterR; I wasn't being critical or niggly about the link, there are a few of the pictures relevant to Attercliffe Road on the site. Because 'Attercliffe' closed so long ago there will be very few current forum members who will know it ever existed. For clarification, the station was at Worksop Road / Sheffield & Tinsley Canal intersection approximately halfway between Woodburn Junction and Broughton Lane Station.

'Attercliffe Road' seems to have attracted some platform photographers but there has never been much to enthuse about:|

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Now I am confused:

I was following the discussion then I see someone refer to Norfolk Bridge as the Attercliffe station, and then someone else mentioned that it was on Worksop road by the canal, halfway between Broughton Lane & Woodburn Junction. Which was it ? I did use Norfolk Bridge, and my grandfather used to work at Broughton Lane, but I don't know which had the title of "Attercliffe Rd Station."