Too many traffic lights?

I'm not really sure of what advantage that gives. If I'm behind a lorry, the traffic light colour isn't that important, I move when it moves, not before.

I think you misunderstand. If a lorry is in the outside lane it would block you from seeing the light from the other lanes. You could argue that if the lorry goes you go, but that's a bit risky if you are having to assume the light is green...

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 14:51 ----------

Park Sq didn't used to have signals on it, traffic tended to travel faster at times when it wasn't busy, which isn't desirable in safety terms.

Except because of how the light timings are set on Park Sq, if you come from the Parkway heading up Commercial Street you need to rag it to get around without being caught by a red light therefore I'd STRONGLY suggest it's considerably worse as a result in terms of safety.

Err, no. I was advocating crossing the road like an adult. Traffic lights are for road traffic, not pedestrians.

So you don't stop if a pelican crossing light is on red when you come down the road ?

I think they should put a roundabout at the junction with Leppings lane and do away with the traffic lights.

What about those on junction 31 slip road they are only on part time which is more than acceptable ,if they can be switched off at night so can others on exit slip road. I say to you again the ones at either end of viaduct need sorting

No point saying to me. Say it to Highways England, it's their signal setup.

I think they should put a roundabout at the junction with Leppings lane and do away with the traffic lights.

That's how it was before. Or did you know that and are being sarcastic? :)

That's how it was before. Or did you know that and are being sarcastic? :)

Yes I know Alan instead of traffic flowing as before you now have standing traffic on all the junctions even when the road is quieter so much for an improvement :loopy:

Yes I know Alan instead of traffic flowing as before you now have standing traffic on all the junctions even when the road is quieter so much for an improvement :loopy:

I think people who actually used the junction at busy times will tell you it didn't flow too well on certain approaches. Didn't work too well for pedestrians either.

Which road would that be?

No signals in Sheffield actually take 5 minutes to serve a vehicle demand. Odd ones only come in every couple of cycles of the lights (normally 60 to 70 seconds per cycle) and some can get affected by tram priority, but none actually take five minutes to turn green for an approaching vehicle.

It certainly feels like 5 minutes at the lights from Herries Road going towards Leppings Lane

It certainly feels like 5 minutes at the lights from Herries Road going towards Leppings Lane

That's because light cycles are written in to a computer by people. They don't account for anything logical or intelligent at all (which I'd expect from traffic lights in 2016).

It doesn't matter if a cycle is 10 secs red 10 secs green, if the flow into a junction isn't timed well, then the lights become insignificant*.

This above though isn't a great example. This flows quite well in comparison to others.

*One of the worst I can think of is the entrance onto the ringroad at Bridgehouses from Needsend side.

*All the lights on Bramall Lane and Moore Street roundabout at peak times aswell

*I could list so many, but won't for all our sakes! :hihi:

I think people who actually used the junction at busy times will tell you it didn't flow too well on certain approaches. Didn't work too well for pedestrians either.

Planner1 what planet do you live on the traffic at leppings lane is more built up now than it was before even at peak times you are queueing at each Rd on this junction so no improvement there but out of peak times you rarely saw queue's but now your sat there when previously you wasn't:loopy: BIG improvement

So you don't stop if a pelican crossing light is on red when you come down the road ?

Of course I stop. What are you blathering on about? :huh:

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 07:32 ----------

I think you misunderstand. If a lorry is in the outside lane it would block you from seeing the light from the other lanes. You could argue that if the lorry goes you go, but that's a bit risky if you are having to assume the light is green...

It can only block 1 light, they have sets on both sides. And if it goes then a) the light is green, b) it will be gone in a second and I can see the light it was blocking...

"Because if they wasn't and one day someone wanted to cross and got killed questions would be asked."

On that basis they should be installed at every junction in Sheffield