Too many traffic lights?

I'm new to the area. I've lived in a few different places around the UK and I've never experienced traffic light overkill as I do living near Hillsborough.

I've also never experienced such badly maintained roads and potholes. I've often wondered if the cost of all the lighting is preventing money being spent on safer surfaces.

The cost of replacing the street lights is a part of the £2.1 Billion pound scheme to resurface

all the roads and footpaths in Sheffield.The resurfacing is taking place around

Hillsborough at the moment. It makes sense to replace the lights first

as holes have to be dug to connect the new lights

Edited by bazjea

I'm sick and tired of taxi drivers who stop in the road to pick up passengers thereby holding up the flow of traffic, don't indicate when turning, do u turns in the middle of the road and generally don't obey the Highway Code

I've never agreed with somebody so much.

You can add: cruising down a main road at 10mph looking for people to pick up, thus holding back traffic behind them, to that list too.

Most concentrated stretch of trafficlighted highway: Furnival Square to Castle Square.

Does anyone know the reason for this type of light, can only assume it's for HGVs?

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/images/imgstore/197_fc1kvenrv5.jpg

You usually find this type of traffic light system on fast stretches of road so as to give a view of the lights from a greater distance and to make them more noticeable due to being more of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/29/calls-for-traffic-lights-to-be-switched-off-as-study-finds-drive/

Minister says council planners are too quick to install traffic lights and its slowing traffic.

I have to agree. In Sheffield its worse than most. Penistone road and the top of Hanover way are shocking. For a 4 mile journey its about 1 every 150 yards. Will planners listen or does congestion play into a plan to demonise motorists?

The more pollution created the more chance of being allowed to create a congetion charge to reduce the pollution caused by the council in the first place!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/29/calls-for-traffic-lights-to-be-switched-off-as-study-finds-drive/

Minister says council planners are too quick to install traffic lights and its slowing traffic.

I have to agree. In Sheffield its worse than most. Penistone road and the top of Hanover way are shocking. For a 4 mile journey its about 1 every 150 yards. Will planners listen or does congestion play into a plan to demonise motorists?

I once counted all the traffic lights on my old route to work, from Fox Hill to Kelham Island, and there are 15 in a 3 mile journey. It was quicker to cycle to work, and I could avoid some of the lights using the cycle path.

They can be an annoyance, but they do cut down speeding on the route OP stated.

Traffic lights should be used to change priority rather than stop traffic, Green you have priority, Red you must give priority but can proceed if its safe to do so, so Red would be the same as approaching a give way line. This would keep traffic moving, reduce journey time, cut congestion and cut pollution.

Would be nice if they switched off lights at either end of tinsley viaduct between say 22.00 and 0600 ,they are a waste of time at those hours

Edited by rudds1

Would be nice if they switched off lights at either end of tinsley viaduct between say 22.00 and 0600 ,they are a waste of time at those hours

Americans and some other countries use a flashing amber system to indicate proceed with caution which has been brought up time and time again.

I agree completely. Too many traffic lights around the University of Sheffield and the West Street. Some of them are not much used by the pedestrians.

students dont understand how to use pedestrian crossings unfortunatly the council have to install them to prevent being sued when the inevitable happens.