Too many traffic lights?

Traffic lights are there for easy of traffic,at a cross road the traffic on the right or left have to give way to the traffic on the main road,before traffic lights where installed at every cross rd and junctions,the traffic trying to enter the main rd would Waite for what seemed like hours to get out.

I think all the new sets of lights on Dunlop street behind Meadowhall are a complete waste of time. 3 sets on such a short stretch!

I was sat at some traffic lights yesterday, they turned amber, then green, and as I moved forward I had to brake suddenly as a pick-up truck ran the red light in front of me. I cursed. As I moved forward again I heard sirens, and to my right I noticed a police car that had obviously seen the culprit approach at speed. I smiled. :)

Does anyone know the reason for this type of light, can only assume it's for HGVs?

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/images/imgstore/197_fc1kvenrv5.jpg

As far as I am aware those were designed to stop drivers further down the queue getting frustrated with waiting.

On traffic lights in Sheffield though: Totally agree, there is an insane amount, particularly on key-roads. Penistone is one big stop-start fest due to the complete overkill of lights.

The council needs to rationalise entrance and exit to and from Penistone road by blocking off a number of them. Take the two lights around the KFC/PizzaHut for example, whoever thought that was a good bit of road design needs shooting.

Since moving to America I've often wondered why we don't use stop signs back home like they do here, half the junctions around Sheffield could make use of the 'stop and go' system that's in place in a lot of places here. It would certainly speed things up

It should be fairly easy for competent traffic planners to program the traffic lights along a road, or round a roundabout, such that as traffic approaches each set of lights, travelling at the appropriate speed, lights turn to green allowing free passage. Anyone speeding should find their progress interrupted by continual red lights.

This used to be the case some years back on the south Tinsley roundabout under the M1 until the incompetent traffic planners got their hands on the programming.

This is not a new idea or technology as this existed in Slough over 20 years ago.

A by product of correctly programmed traffic light sequencing would be less traffic pollution due to less less stopping, idling and starting.

hi I am a taxi driver in Sheffield. and I get sick and tired of having to stop every few hundred yards because of traffic lights and pelican crossings. in thr morning and evening rush hours it takes ages to get through Sheffield surely theres no need for the amount of traffic lights that hold up traffic getting to work or going home disgruntled taxi driver

I'm sick and tired of taxi drivers who stop in the road to pick up passengers thereby holding up the flow of traffic, don't indicate when turning, do u turns in the middle of the road and generally don't obey the Highway Code

I'm sick and tired of taxi drivers who stop in the road to pick up passengers thereby holding up the flow of traffic, don't indicate when turning, do u turns in the middle of the road and generally don't obey the Highway Code

Taxi drivers who never indicate

I wish this forum had a like button :hihi:

There are too many traffic lights between West Street and the University Roundabout.

3 pelican crossings within a very short distance which is a nightmare at 5pm when work & uni kicks out.

That bit of road would benefit from 1 large crossing and a walk way over the road

I agree completely. Too many traffic lights around the University of Sheffield and the West Street. Some of them are not much used by the pedestrians.

I'm new to the area. I've lived in a few different places around the UK and I've never experienced traffic light overkill as I do living near Hillsborough.

I've also never experienced such badly maintained roads and potholes. I've often wondered if the cost of all the lighting is preventing money being spent on safer surfaces.

This is why sheffield save money with christmas lights as theres lights every were changing,this council do not like the flow of traffics at All,Why?just amazes people,then the put a Fire station on a road thats full of traffic lights at the back of the new market how can that be sensible