Council giving away fruit trees

I think the council are desperate for me to have a fruit tree.

I didn't think the council liked trees in Sheffield.

I've received 5 emails stateing that I can apply for a free fruit tree.

It's a good idea really. I would get one if I didn't already have a big apple tree, but would they come and chop the free trees down if they grew too big.

This is the email

Would you like a free fruit tree in your garden or balcony? It could provide you with delicious and nutritious fruit, fulfilling some of your required 5-a-day portions, making for a healthier lifestyle for you and your family; it’s also great for wildlife and it’s all for free!

Sheffield City Council is offering to provide a limited number of fruit trees for Sheffield City Council tenant’s gardens or balconies COMPLETELY FOR FREE!

This offer is on a first come, first serve basis and is open to tenants of Sheffield City Council properties only, with a limit of one tree per household.

The offered trees are Cherries and Plums on a dwarf root stock. These will be in 12 litre pots and approximately 1m high on receipt and will reach a maximum eventual height of 2 - 2.5m. They are ideal for small south facing gardens or balconies in a large pot.

Please note - these trees will not thrive or produce fruit unless they receive full sun, so please do not request a tree if your garden or balcony is shaded for more than half of the day.

All you need to do to take advantage of this fantastic opportunity is to contact HomesE&ES@sheffield.gov.uk and leave your name, address, contact details and say if you would like a Cherry or a Plum. You will then be contacted by the area office and informed when to collect your tree.

This offer is on a first come first serve basis and closes on 30th April so BE QUICK!

Many thanks

Sheffield City Council Twitter

manage your subscriptions | online services

This email was sent to by: Sheffield City Council · Town Hall, Pinstone Street · Sheffield S1 2HH · (0114) 27 34567

Interesting email, so the theories about Sheffield being anti-tree are straight out of the window.

More like trying to combat their negative publicity for the recent tree scandal.

Nice idea, but they need to get the litter problem sorted if they want to improve the environment.

Not free though if payed for from rates or council tax.

Nice idea, but they need to get the litter problem sorted if they want to improve the environment.

I think it's the litter droppers of Sheffield who are entirely responsible for litter in Sheffield. Those who chuck tab ends out of the car window can burn in hell IMHO.

I thought the council needed to save millions? Absurd this unless it is because they have a surplus at one of their own nurseries.

Interesting email, so the theories about Sheffield being anti-tree are straight out of the window.

Sure, because giving away a few baby apple trees makes it okay that they cut down all the public space roadside trees... :huh:

I wish they would extend this offer to all residents in Sheffield, and I'd like an apple tree in my garden.

It does sound like another of Sheffield Council's free stuff for the council house dwellers who vote them into their jobs, to be paid for by those who don't.

Why is it only open to council tenants, people who own their own homes and those who live in housing association pay council tax, why are they excluded.