British bulldog advice

I've just got a 10 week old british bulldog puppy the breeder feed him on eukanuba but he has terrible gas. He eats his food really fast so I bought a slow feed bowl(I read that eating fast can cause gas) but his fat face won't fit in it so I can't use. I was thinking maybe the food isn't quite right for him he's pooing about 10 times a day aswell and they are quite loose.was just wondering what other people feed there bulldogs

The frequency of having his bowels open and the gas suggests that he might have an infection. It would be best to have your dog checked out by the vet before you consider changing food.

If you then want to change food have a look at cold pressed products. Gentle and Guru are UK companies. Markus Muhle on Zooplus if you are on a tight budget. Cold pressed products are good for deep chested breeds and dogs with digestive issues.

Edited by ccit

He's a the vets tomorrow anyway so I'll mention it. I know a lot of vets suggest royal canin but on most of websites I've looked at that's not been rated very good.

I'll look into what you've suggested

Hi Don-Tron

If he's only 10 weeks old then he will go to the loo a lot, and it will be very wet, and it may well be part of why he's got lots of gas. They're a gassy breed anyway (as are most bull breeds) but his bowel has only been processing solids for a few weeks and it hasn't got very good at it yet!

Go with whatever he has been on until you're sure that it's the food causing it. Rapidly changing food can cause diarrhoea and gas just as surely as food that doesn't agree with them.

Please give him a little squeeze off me :)

I don't have a British bull dog but I had a similar problem with eukanuba with mine at that age he ended up with blood in his loose stools as well . Vet advised me to put him on wet chappie for a while and eventually I but him on to Ardent Grange which sorted him out .

You are correct, Royal Canin does not review well. When you look for a new food, check it out on the All About Dog Food website. You want to look for a product that has the named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients - the more meat, the better the product. If going for grain free, look for sweet potato as the carbohydrate source. If you choose a food containing grain, look for brown (whole grain) rice. Oats also have some nutritional value for dogs. Avoid wheat, maize if possible.

Bulldogs are prone to gastric torsion so make sure your dog has smaller meals and that he has at least two meals per day, even when he is full grown. Soaking the kibble will help avoid this. It will also help your dog to digest the food and prevent the dehydrating effect of a dry food meal. You should not exercise your dog after a meal.

As mentioned before, check out cold pressed foods as they are easier for the dog to digest and are recommended for dogs that are deep chested and narrow waisted.

Edit - forgot to say that overfeeding can cause the symptoms you describe. Make sure you weigh the food accurately (do not use a mug or beaker) and that you give the correct amount. Use a digital scale that weighs in 1g divisions. These are quite cheap in Argos.

Edited by ccit

As above , most feeding instructions on dog food encourage over feeding ( for obvious reasons) so reduce slightly the amounts given . Over feeding can be the one of the main reasons for loose stools . It always takes a while to find the right food for your dog and each dog is different one of mine is intolerant to pork and the other dog chicken and they are the same breed . It just takes a bit of time finding what suits.

I don't have a British bull dog but I had a similar problem with eukanuba with mine at that age he ended up with blood in his loose stools as well . Vet advised me to put him on wet chappie for a while and eventually I but him on to Ardent Grange which sorted him out .

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest something like Chappie, seems there is less protein or something in it, and this is kinder on a dogs tummy.

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest something like Chappie, seems there is less protein or something in it, and this is kinder on a dogs tummy.

Its white fish and rice vets have advised it for years for feeding when dogs have doggy tums . I still have to mix it in with the Argent Grange now or my choc lab won't eat his snap .

Brachycephalic breeds are gassy as they swallow a lot of air when trying to eat.

We feed a grain free diet which helps, also helps the skin conditions bull breeds can suffer with.

We have a young French Bulldog, trumps like a trouper!!! It is a breed thing unfortunately. She is now on Royal Cannin French food, we also now just feed her twice a day and i put her food directly on the floor, not in a bowl anymore and she seems better

Chappie is a poor quality food - review. The tinned version scores even less.

Royal Canin is expensive and also not of good quality - review. Having just looked at the ingredient list of the French Bulldog version, it has rice and wheat as the first two ingredients - they are just fillers. It's got animal fat in it - no mention of what that animal is. For a dog that is prone to skin problems it is not good.

A good quality food has the named meat source at the top of the list of ingredients and is clearly labelled - no ambiguity. The purchaser should know exactly what it contains.

Here is an article about the domination of the big four pet food companies and the poor quality of some of their products.

Regarding the flatus, feed good quality, digestible food and that will lessen considerably. Soak dry food and give two to three meals per day. Use a slow feeder to stop the dog eating too fast and swallowing air.

Edited by ccit