Sheffield golfer Danny Willett wins the Masters golf!

With that list they should be holding this year's Sports Personality of the Year at the Sheffield Arena.

Agreed, time to punctuate Sheffield's City of Sport credentials. Although if I am not mistaken SPOTY was held at the Arena not that long ago?

this could be the greatest achievement ever by any individual sportsperson from Sheffield. Roger Taylor only ever got to the semis of major international tennis tournaments. This guy has won one, the US Masters golf title, outright from nowhere.

Agreed, time to punctuate Sheffield's City of Sport credentials. Although if I am not mistaken SPOTY was held at the Arena not that long ago?

I thought it was a coupe of years ago, but when I looked it up, is was held at the arena in 2009.

Why is he not a hero? It's an outstanding achievement to win one of the majors.

Outstanding but heroic? Really?

Anyway, ive said my bit and I dont want to drag this off topic so ill reiterate my congratulations to the lad :)

And then quietly disappear to another thread.

Outstanding but heroic? Really?

Anyway, ive said my bit and I dont want to drag this off topic so ill reiterate my congratulations to the lad :)

And then quietly disappear to another thread.

If you look up the definition of a hero, one of them is someone who is admired for their outstanding achievements.

Great viewing and well done Danny Willet,or should I say Spieth blew it.

It was indeed great viewing and a really nice story. Yes Jordon Spieth did blow it, but Danny Willet still had to hold his nerve.

Can anyone shed some light on this lads background. Around 19 years ago I was a member at Bondhay which is mentioned, I'm now a member at Phoenix where he has a trophy named after him and where he's done a few demonstration days but last night commentators made reference to him being at Rotherham Gc. So which part of Sheffield/Rotherham is he from and where did he play his golf.

Huge well done as well to him!

Wondered where he was from, on the early morning local news on BBC it just said a Yorkshire golfer.

Can anyone shed some light on this lads background. Around 19 years ago I was a member at Bondhay which is mentioned, I'm now a member at Phoenix where he has a trophy named after him and where he's done a few demonstration days but last night commentators made reference to him being at Rotherham Gc. So which part of Sheffield/Rotherham is he from and where did he play his golf.

Huge well done as well to him!

He plays out of Rotherham GC now.

I know when he was a junior he was a member up at Birley, where I think he had his first lessons. He lived on hackenthorpe at the time, I'm sure his father was the local vicar .

Him mum and dad were on Radio 4 this morning, and his brother was on the Chris Evans show. According to somebody on the tenuous links part of the Chris Evans show, his mum is a teacher at Silverdale.

Peter Allis mentioned that he had had complaints from viewers in Rotherham for saying he was from Sheffield, and apologised. So clearly Sheffield and Rotherham folk are keen to claim him as their own.

I think this is so important it should not be "hidden" away in a sub forum, but should be on the Sheffield news forum. Just saying.

Angel1.