Bird Watching Group

Hi does anyone know of a bird watching group in Sheffield? Thanks

I hope I’m kind of staying on topic, and not straying too far, but I have a question that some bird watchers may be able to advise on.

I like to feed the birds, and want to ask if there is a way of encouraging ground feeders such as blackbirds. The Magpies are the main issue I have, in that they get in first and take all the food before the ground feeders even appear. There seems to be so many of them. I’ve seen about 6 magpies at one time on the grass.

Last year I started putting suet pellets down for these two black birds that were regular visitors. I had thought that the Magpies wouldn’t bother with small pellets, but it didn’t take long for them to muscle in and start eating them too.

I hope I’m kind of staying on topic, and not straying too far, but I have a question that some bird watchers may be able to advise on.

I like to feed the birds, and want to ask if there is a way of encouraging ground feeders such as blackbirds. The Magpies are the main issue I have, in that they get in first and take all the food before the ground feeders even appear. There seems to be so many of them. I’ve seen about 6 magpies at one time on the grass.

Last year I started putting suet pellets down for these two black birds that were regular visitors. I had thought that the Magpies wouldn’t bother with small pellets, but it didn’t take long for them to muscle in and start eating them too.

I have the same problem to some degree but luckily the magpies in my garden are very skittish so once I've put out my suet pieces I just have to stand at the kitchen window while the blackbirds and sparrows feed and the magpies will keep their distance while ever they can see me. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the 20 pigeons that hang around waiting for any scraps.

You might want to look at ground birdfeeders that have a wire mesh cover: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDMAN-GROUND-FEEDER-HAVEN-GARDEN/dp/B005MQDLBC

I have the same problem to some degree but luckily the magpies in my garden are very skittish so once I've put out my suet pieces I just have to stand at the kitchen window while the blackbirds and sparrows feed and the magpies will keep their distance while ever they can see me. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the 20 pigeons that hang around waiting for any scraps.

You might want to look at ground birdfeeders that have a wire mesh cover: http://www.amazon.co.uk/GARDMAN-GROUND-FEEDER-HAVEN-GARDEN/dp/B005MQDLBC

I know it may not be possible for all but i leave the apples on the ground that fall off a small tree in autumn. This encourages insects ect and this attracts Blackbirds, i also try and garden in a way that does not use pesticides ect and try and promote as much insect life, slugs and snails ect as possible which attracts Thrushes and other birds. I know what you mean about Magpies. As they are very territorial maybe a dummy Magpie on a garden post. Not sure if this would scare away or attract more though?

I know it may not be possible for all but i leave the apples on the ground that fall off a small tree in autumn. This encourages insects ect and this attracts Blackbirds, i also try and garden in a way that does not use pesticides ect and try and promote as much insect life, slugs and snails ect as possible which attracts Thrushes and other birds. I know what you mean about Magpies. As they are very territorial maybe a dummy Magpie on a garden post. Not sure if this would scare away or attract more though?

Good call with Regards to putting fruit down. I used to buy cheap bags of apples and pears that from the market that had gone soft and the blackbirds and thrushes loved these.

Hi

someone I know is going to be doing regular bird walks in the city.  If you are interested I can keep you posted.

On a different note I am enjoying the company of about 20-30 Redwings who have been hanging out near Heeley Baths (the business park opposite) for the last two weeks.  There's enough berries around to keep them going for another couple of weeks at the rate they've been getting through them.  Just felt the need to share as feeling blessed to be able to look at them from my office window.  They are on the UK red list although I am told these are probably from Norway and N.E Europe and not the breeding ones from Scotland.