Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

7 hours ago, neworderishere said:

why bother with hanging? a bullet in the back of the head is far cheaper and easier.

If they were to bring it back in Britain they would surely use the method they always used, hanging, which is not expensive at all, and very quick. The gallows is only built once and is used repeatedly. Even the rope could be used again, although in practice it never was.

The best time ever recorded for a British execution, was 6.5 seconds. That was the amount of time it took for the key to turn in the lock of the cell into which the hangman entered and the drop in which everyone was killed instantly. There were no botched executions at all as far as I know in Britain in the 20th century and certainly not after 1918 - just a few that went on a little too long between the hangman's entrance to the cell, and the drop - the pressure was always on, to do it as quickly as possible. The average time by the by the end after 1945 was supposed to be about 12 seconds. It is hard to see how any method of execution can be much quicker and less expensive than hanging.  Also with hangings, you can double or triple up, and only one person needs to 'pull the trigger' - although they stopped doing that in British prisons in the 1920s.  In the Middle East it is today not unusual for even 6-8 people to stand on the same trap door and be hanged simultaneously. 

Edited by blake

1 hour ago, danot said:

What if an innocent person hanged themselves after being wrongfully imprisoned for life?  What if it's actually happened?

:confused::huh:

On 09/04/2016 at 21:07, crookedspire said:

So killing a baby like the recent case is down to mental health well hell yeah let's release all killers after all its down to mental health what a load of ....!

Well yes, sometimes it is. I knew a mentally ill woman who killed her baby; fortunately savages like your good self weren't in power, so she was nursed back to health rather than being hung.

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Well yes, sometimes it is. I knew a mentally ill woman who killed her baby; fortunately savages like your good self weren't in power, so she was nursed back to health rather than being hung.

a a baby killer with mental health is not someone that should ever be in society, that sort of problem can never be permanently erased only managed and thats a big risk..too big!

Just now, PRESLEY said:

:confused::huh:

Not quite sure why you're perplexed?

Prison breaks people, nerves fray, presumably more so when you're innocent, so if an innocent person was wrongly imprisoned for life and the daunting prospect of having to spend the rest of their natural in prison drove them to hang themselves to escape the nightmare, what then? 

10 minutes ago, neworderishere said:

a a baby killer with mental health is not someone that should ever be in society, that sort of problem can never be permanently erased only managed and thats a big risk..too big!

Yeah sure I'll take your word over mine - after all I was only a psychiatric nurse for 19 years and you've read The Sun. Seems legit.

11 minutes ago, danot said:

Prison breaks people, nerves fray, presumably more so when you're innocent, so if an innocent person was wrongly imprisoned for life and the daunting prospect of having to spend the rest of their natural in prison drove them to hang themselves to escape the nightmare, what then? 

Then they'd be dead. You're an absolute hoot, trying to use suicide to argue for more killing.

32 minutes ago, danot said:

Err  There is a difference between Suicide and being put to death. :roll:

4 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Yeah sure I'll take your word over mine - after all I was only a psychiatric nurse for 19 years and you've read The Sun. Seems legit.

Then they'd be dead. You're an absolute hoot, trying to use suicide to argue for more killing.

5 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're an absolute hoot, trying to use suicide to argue for more killing.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a hoot, a massive troll too allegedly, opinions vary.  But, one thing I'm not is malicious, so enough with the character bashing.

I'm using suicide because it actually happens to be a serious, alternative consequence of wrongfully imprisoning someone for life. 

25 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Err  There is a difference between Suicide and being put to death. :roll:

I'm aware of that. But, if an innocent person decides to take their own life, hanging themselves due to being wrongfully imprisoned for life, what has to happen to  ensure it doesn't happen again?

On 28/02/2019 at 13:27, danot said:

Hold on. If critically ill people were being denied life saving medical treatment because the drugs they require haven't been approved, forcing fundraisers to pay for the  treatment, where's the drugs come from, the black market perhaps?

Come on.

Might as well get rid of the critically ill as well then by sound of things! 

15 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Might as well get rid of the critically ill as well then by sound of things! 

Some of the critically ill have had a hard time trying to die, with dignity, for decades. In fact, assisted self-euthanasia/suicide is still not allowed in many countries.

4 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Some of the critically ill have had a hard time trying to die, with dignity, for decades. In fact, assisted self-euthanasia/suicide is still not allowed in many countries.

Should be allowed I think its a great idea as long as the patient knows what they are doing...