Should The Death Penalty Be Brought Back?

Just now, hobinfoot said:

I've no problem with executing people who murder others. But I also believe that the evidence should be %100 certain like being caught in the act or forensic proof that's beyond doubt like the recent case in Scotland.

Well as you're bringing up the recent case in Scotland, you'd have no problem executing a 16 year old?

How would you do it, hanging, lethal injection, electric chair?

27 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I've no problem with executing people who murder others. But I also believe that the evidence should be %100 certain like being caught in the act or forensic proof that's beyond doubt like the recent case in Scotland.

Beyond all doubt or beyond reasonable doubt, as they're different things. 

On 09/04/2016 at 20:37, crookedspire said:

Well should it?

No, not in my opinion.

As others have said, the legal system is not infallible and makes mistakes. I also don't think we have the right to take life even in these circumstances. There's also evidence that it doesn't work as a deterrent. 

I'm sure others will disagree with me, and I fully respect their opinion. Just my personal beliefs.

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, not in my opinion.

As others have said, the legal system is not infallible and makes mistakes. I also don't think we have the right to take life even in these circumstances. There's also evidence that it doesn't work as a deterrent. 

I'm sure others will disagree with me, and I fully respect their opinion. Just my personal beliefs.

Nope.  Totally with you on this.   It's an abhorrant practice.   Thankfully most countries, even most third world countries, have matured enough to move past this barbaric activity.   That leaves the likes of China, the US, Iran and Saudi Arabia to catch up.  One day, those countries will be civilised too.

There are quite a few more to add to the list I think.

52 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Well as you're bringing up the recent case in Scotland, you'd have no problem executing a 16 year old?

How would you do it, hanging, lethal injection, electric chair?

Yes I would execute a 16 year old if the evidence was beyond all doubt. The method of execution should be hanging.

7 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

Yes I would execute a 16 year old if the evidence was beyond all doubt. The method of execution should be hanging.

When you say ' Yes, I would', would you apply for the new role of hangman?

Oh, and while we're at it.

Would you execute Jon Venables and Robert Thompson at 10 years old?

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What about Derek Bentley who had the mental age of a child, would you have hung him?

Edited by SnailyBoy

16 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

What about Derek Bentley who had the mental age of a child, would you have hung him?

It would be carried out by an official executioner. No I wouldn't execute a 10 year old. And Derek Bentley should never have been hanged.

7 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It would be carried out by an official executioner. No I wouldn't execute a 10 year old. And Derek Bentley should never have been hanged.

Well we don't have an official executioner, so would you apply for the job when advertised?

35 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

There are quite a few more to add to the list I think.

There are, but these are among the most active users.   It's actually not used much around the world now; even those countries that have it on their statutes, rarely use it, or if they do once in a blue moon. Thailand is a good example.

Other big DP countries would be Egypt, Iraq, Pakistan, North Korea and Somalia.   The only mainly first world countries to use it are the US, Japan, Singapore and Taiwan.

10 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

It would be carried out by an official executioner. No I wouldn't execute a 10 year old. And Derek Bentley should never have been hanged

I've lost count of the brave online warriors who proudly proclaim they would love to be the executioner.  Of course, they wouldn't.  It's all faux bravado.  Most would recoil at such a responsbility, and rightly so.

Being pro-death penalty yet arguing that Derek Bentley shouldnt have been hanged seems contradictory to me.  You can't support the death penalty and talk about beyond all reasonable doubt on the one hand, and then cite Bentley on the other.  He was convicted beyond all reasonable doubt at the time, and only reprieved decades later.

What might seem certain today, could easily be overturned tomorrow.

1 hour ago, hobinfoot said:

But they weren’t found guilty beyond all doubt. They were found guilty beyond reasonable doubt. A billion to one genetic match isn’t beyond all doubt. 

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I think it goes something like this.

NICE doesn't approve for use some expensive treatments with marginal outcomes because they are not an effective use of public money.

Locking people up is expensive.

He then incorrectly claims that killing people is cheaper.

Thus he concludes, life in prison should always be the death penalty, thus reducing the cost to the state and allowing NICE to fund more marginal treatments.

He ignores the facts that innocent people will be executed, that it isn't cheaper, that it isn't a deterrent and that the only purpose of the death penalty is revenge.

It's an argument based on a false dichotomy AND a persistent refusal to accept that the death penalty is not cheaper than life in prison.

But then we know he's a massive troll, so no doubt he's just wasting everyone's time by saying something controversial with no actual recourse to logic nor any interest in the subject really.

Leading another troll hunting mission I see. You say paying for expensive treatment with marginal outcome would not be an effective use of public money.  But $300m per exicution seems a legitimate statistical figure? As I said, that'll be largely made up of lawyers fees.   That's America for you.